HKS 7mgte Sport Upgrade

jtamulis

www.NotRice.com
Apr 9, 2005
Pittsboro, NC
www.NotRice.com
The cast T4 setup is what I had.

HKS short runner manifold, 38mm 4 bolt wastegate, it was a smaller t04B now that I've been thinking about it. it was VERY close to hitting the manifold. AND the orginal heat shields would mount on it. It was certainly a nice piece.

AND just an FYI there are 3 HKS turbo upgrades. the one I had (designed for a 7M), the HKS both on, and another HKS setup with a smaller turbo (54 trim I think) which was orginally designed for a MKII. I've seen it and worked on it, but it wasn't mine.
It belongs to a guy in Altanta named Mike Rapp. (supracentral might know him). Mike rapp has the orginal one on his custom built 85 MKII.

Jeff

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
jtamulis;1526161 said:
It belongs to a guy in Altanta named Mike Rapp. (supracentral might know him). Mike rapp has the orginal one on his custom built 85 MKII.

I've met Mike a few times. He's a nice guy and has some amazing MKII's. I don't know him well enough to call him about it unfortunately. If you're still in touch with Parvin, he knows Mike well.

A guy on here named Juhanis had and sold his HKS short runner setup on here and still has the small T4 turbo on hand, I belive he said it was a 57trim, has a 4 bolt downpipe flange and has a divided exhaust housing. He hasn't logged in for awhile tho. I have a few pics tho

p1528374_1.jpg

p1528374_2.jpg

---------- Post added at 03:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 AM ----------

If I dig up any more pics of the setup I'll postem if this thread isnt dead by the time I find them lol

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
There was also the 7MGE turbo upgrade from HKS. I don't know the difference between its T4 and the full turbo upgrade.

Turbo Magazine said:
We have tested the HKS turbo kit for non-turbo Supras which uses a Garrett T04B, and while this car is a little on the lazy side below 3000 rpm, when the bigger turbo gets in full motion at about 3600 rpm, it hits like a sledge hammer. In fact, during our dyno testing one of these combinations put out 320-hp to the rear wheels at 5500 rpm. Cartech is now doing a compressor upgrade on the Toyota turbo, using a new compressor wheel and machining out the compressor housing. At the present time these units are being sold on an exchange basis only, but a pattern for new compressor housing is underway and may be available by the time this article reaches you.

HKS offers their Turbocharger kits in three different stages ranging in boost pressures from 4.3 psi up to 12.0 psi. "Stage 1" is a non-intercooled system featuring HKS "PFC F-CON" electronic fuel management system, the "Twin Power" and "EGC" electronic ignition system, a cast iron exhaust manifold that allows the bolt up of a Garrett T04 turbo with a water cooled bearing section and a remote racing type HKS wastegate, a compressor by-pass valve and an HKS boost gauge. "Stage II" allows boost to be raised a couple of psi and includes a 3mm head gasket, as well as a full exhaust system.

The big gun from HKS is their "Stage III" system which includes a new set of injectors and a different prom for the "F-CON" in the "Stage I," a large intercooler and plumbing, a heavy duty clutch pressure plate and disk, an oil cooler and a "VBC" (non-electric) variable boost control. We tested one of their "Stage III" "killer kits" for about a week, including some strip time, and as mentioned earlier, it is strong. Using the large Garrett T-4 turbo with a lowering of the naturally aspirated car's compression ratio by use of the thick head gasket, doesn't give quite the low-end of the smaller Toyota unit, but mid-range and top-end get quite serious. Dyno testing showed a maximum of 320-horse to the real wheels at 5500 rpm and quarter mile speeds were in the 106.88 mph range running at 13 psi.