HKS 264 cams on hand for 2jz! Now what?

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
I am at almost full BPU mode with my 2jz-gte with stock twins.
Got some new 264 HKS cams. :biglaugh:

Now I am going to put them on :sarcasm:
BUT.....will I need cam gears to set the proper timing or a standalone ecu?
Heard that without a standalone I will never idle correctly :aigo:
Thought that this was a 272 cams issue....:naughty:

Whats the true on this issue....many people say cam gears are useless!
I need some real facts on this...so I can deside what to do/buy next.

Nalleywhacker

Formerly gnarkill87
Oct 2, 2006
chattanooga,TN
You dont have to get cam gears but they allow you degree your cams (get alittle more power) and no you dont have to go standalone when you get cams.

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
gnarkill87;1203167 said:
You dont have to get cam gears but they allow you degree your cams (get alittle more power) and no you dont have to go standalone when you get cams.

Got that...but what about idling?
Will I still have the normal oem idle? I do have a nice 750 rpm idle right now!
I really don't like a bumping idle also...:icon_evil

Last edited:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
It's not going to sound like a cam'd out chevrolet 350 if that's what you're worried about. You may have to bump your idle up a few rpms, but that's it. Put them on and see what you think. You can buy some adjustable cam gears reasonably if you look around. Good luck.

zoppii

Pro Lurker
May 21, 2007
Palm Harbor
If your 2J acts anything like my 1J with HKS 264's you'll really only notice a difference when it's cold. Once the engine warms up you can tell a little bit but if you didn't know they were upgraded you'd never be able to detect an idle difference. My cam gears are set at zero for now, stock ECU and I did have to idle it up a bit.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Itll be fine, even on stock cam gears.

HKS has really good QC and you wont have much issues at all. Infact Darin @ titan motorsports (ran a 8.38 iirc 6spd) does not have cam gears, he has the stock gears on his car (hks280s i think?)

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
tissimo;1203464 said:
Itll be fine, even on stock cam gears.

HKS has really good QC and you wont have much issues at all. Infact Darin @ titan motorsports (ran a 8.38 iirc 6spd) does not have cam gears, he has the stock gears on his car (hks280s i think?)

Really? I know Darin Dichiara from Titan....they say he is one of the best tuners around :biglaugh:
But never knew he is running stock cam gears :sarcasm:

10secdream

Got Boost?
Sep 11, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
A lot of the MK4 owners on Supraforums buy cam gears to get the most out of their stock cams. Then once they go with aftermarket cams like 264s or 272s a lot of the owners just put their stock cam gears on and sell the adjustable ones.

Tim

Oct 16, 2006
CA
that doesn't make much sense. The whole reason of adjustable cam gears is so that you can degree your aftermarket cams, or adjust your cams so that the valves are opening and closing at the most efficient time. Why would you go to stock gears with aftermarket cams when you cams come with a cam card and give you the proper specs to degree them for maximum efficiency? No possible way that running stock cam gears or running your adjustable gears straight up produces the most power, thats just not how it works. I am running 272's on my 1jz straight up now with Titan adjustable gears and it works okay, but I haven't got a chance to degree them and get on the dyno. I now I can make way more power with my cams dialed in than just running them straight up.

10secdream

Got Boost?
Sep 11, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I understand the reasoning behind adjustable cam gears and degreeing the camshafts properly. I think the main reason individuals use the stock cam gears is that the amount of time and dollars that goes into the cam gears and degreeing is not worth the small gain of 5-10hp.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
Degreeing is a waste if you want cam gears that degree at the flick of a switch or with your control the use a VVTI head then use a standalone to adjust your torque and hp for peak it adjust the cam while the car is running!

Just remember if you waste your money to degree the cams it may adjust your cam for 5-10 more hp at a certain RPM at the time but it will rob the same 5-10hp from a diffrent RPM.

1 more thing most of the aftermarket cam gears are aluminum they wear down alot so if you could find steel ones it would probley be better.