Hit the mid-life crisis

suprabob

Sep 10, 2008
Newport, RI
After lurking around on this site, craigslist, and ebay for over 9 months I finally purchased my pre-military retirement hobby on September 20th. It's a 1990 Supra Turbo Targa with the R154 manual tranny, only 88k miles, and I'm only the third owner. The previous owners have taken care of her very well. I live in the Northeast and I looked at many cars in the area and around the net but only found disappointment after disappointment. I'm slightly above average on basic mechanical abilities and don't have all the tools that I would want or will probably need, but I'm an enthusiast that wants to learn and will have more time on my hands to devote to restoration in the near future. My plan is to restore/maintain the car in the stock condition with a few slight performance modifications and interior upgrades. Now, after sneaking around on the site for a long time I know that no post like this would be complete without pictures so here they are.

Attachments

• CIMG0552.JPG
    CIMG0552.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 50
  • CIMG0554.JPG
    CIMG0554.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 44
  • CIMG0550.JPG
    CIMG0550.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 34
  • CIMG0553.JPG
    CIMG0553.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 40
  • CIMG0555.JPG
    CIMG0555.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 62

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
Beautiful!

And welcome, you should have no problem finding info on basic mods and resto here. Good luck and take care of that thing!

suprabob

Sep 10, 2008
Newport, RI
WoW!!! Only minutes into my introduction and you guys are already replying, this site is awesome!!! I appreciate all the comments. The only thing I need right now is some suspension advice so I'm going to post in the Suspension Area and see what advice I can get. Thanks!

rs4rush

Jan 25, 2007
Kirkland, Wa
Nothing special? I think it is, specially if your going to mod it! That's the only way to start! Virgin supra FTW! Seem's like you have yourself a nice clean supra, Welcome to the site!

~Cory

suprabob

Sep 10, 2008
Newport, RI
rs4rush;1150593 said:
Nothing special? I think it is, specially if your going to mod it! That's the only way to start! Virgin supra FTW! Seem's like you have yourself a nice clean supra, Welcome to the site!

~Cory

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with it the way it is. There will probably be some mild mods, but nothing major. I'm really going to focus on making it clean first.

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
Hey wassup. I see you're in Newport, that's sweet, I was born in Providence, moved here in 99'. Your car is a machine of beauty. Welcome to the Mania!

There's some people here from R.I., check out the regional section.

suprabob

Sep 10, 2008
Newport, RI
gtsfirefighter;1152920 said:
Your car is stunningly gorgeous!!! Great find and welcome to the forum. I too appreciate a nice stock supra and want to keep it that way.

Thanks for the reply. Your ride is very sweet! I read your post that's hyperlinked and you sound alot like me in that we were both too young to be able to afford this type of car in the early 90's and probably wouldn't have taken care of it the way we should have back then. Anyway, I'm on a mission to restore and maintain this ride the best I can. Where did you get the bump stops for your hatch? Mine are also cracked and it rattles a little also.

So far I've had to replace the valve cover gasket (had it done at Toyota), I replaced the air filter, some vacuum hoses and the rear shocks. The car is awesome and I'm learning a ton from people on this site. Thanks again for the reply.

cruzian7m

virgin islands native
Jul 31, 2005
phila,pa
Man that's a clean supra. I'm not one for red cars but that car is hot, good luck with the mods and as always.....enjoy.

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
suprabob;1153115 said:
Anyway, I'm on a mission to restore and maintain this ride the best I can. Where did you get the bump stops for your hatch? Mine are also cracked and it rattles a little also.

http://supras.com/06/techcenter/display.php?QID=61

and

http://cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291420/catalog.aspx?F=6708&P=1
click on the parts you need to see prices, possible updated parts, and parts applications.

Btw, http://cygnusx1.net/Supra/
is an awesome site that has many resources. There is an electronic parts catalog, online repair manual (1990 iirc), and wiring diagrams(1989). There're plenty of other thingsw worth browsing if you have the time.

AND, if you want well priced Toyota parts,
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11116

Best of Luck!

Yblegal91t

it finally runs!
Apr 22, 2006
C1 outer
WOW!!! so clean...and red
and only 88k miles.:aigo:

I am jealous. what a find for a 90 these days.

And for suspension ideas, use the search function on top. There are plenty of setups along with the do's and don'ts.

The Dude

no more supra
Apr 5, 2005
Okinawa, Japan
Welcome! Incredibly clean example of a supra you've got there. Even the sawblade rims look beautiful. Bet that'll turn some heads on Ocean Drive.