High power high mpg engine

iskrem

Oct 1, 2008
Norway, Gardermoen
Hello. I am new to this forum and I reveal my presense by asking this question:

Which engine is better for high power yet has high mpg? Currently I have a MK III Supra with 7M-GTE engine. I am considering a swap as mine currently has an oil leak and valve tick.

My goal is to have around 400 rwhp, or at least enough to give most stock street cars a run for their money.

I was first thinking of the 3S-GTE, small engine yet can be tuned to high levels. But the weight of the MK III might be an issue and make this choice a bad one.

Other choices that I see are 1JZ-GTE, 2JZ-GTE, 1UZ-FE or just keep with the 7M-GTE. I am open to other suggestions, but I feel it should be a Toyota/Lexus engine since it is a Toyota veichle after all.

All I see browsing through different forums is which engine is best bla bla bla, but not a single post has mentioned anything about mpg, which is why this thread exists. :)

Mo87NA

1987 7M-GE & 1991 7M-GTE
Mar 31, 2005
Upstate NY
What's going on buddy and welcome.

It's all going to come down to your personal preference and how much work you're willing spend. There are those on this board who sware by the 7M and those who wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft. poll. As far as a high hp, high mpg motor, it is possible, although not probable. Our cars weigh in close to 4k punds. So in other words, you have to pay to play. I can tell you this, a lot of your questions will be answered using a simple search. Once again welcome.

Mo

iskrem

Oct 1, 2008
Norway, Gardermoen
I really have no preference except that the engine should be fuel efficient. I've read the other threads about the different engines, but what they have discussed and flamed about is engine performance, not its fuel efficiency. That or I really suck at searching.

I know for sure thou that these engines can be made to do 400 rwhp, but the question is which one does it with highest fuel effiency.

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
revetec_main_2008.jpg

http://www.revetec.com/

If you don't have an insane budget, a newer 2jzge as mentioned above +Turbo and a standalone would be a good option. You could tweak fueling for lean cruise but have power when you need it. A laggy turbo would actually help normal MPG as you'd basically be NA around town, then you could always hit it with a shot of NOS to spool in racing mode :)

High c/r would help too if you can get the tuning spot-on and find higher octane fuel. Jake Raby (http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/Home_Page.htm) has been playing with Type IV aircooled motors for a long time trying to get good economy and maximize power.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
If your goal is 400, then spend your money on the 7M and some bolt ons. Get you general maintenance done, and then do a MHG and studs with a bunch of bolt ons. Your gas mileage will depend on two things....your foot, and your tune. I think it is Jdub who has claimed 28MPG city.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Boosted car = best of both worlds. Can knocked down amazing power, but if you keep out of boost and you have a good tune, great gas milage as well.

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
I am running a 2j with a t70. Around town the turbo is laggy. At stop and go traffic i dont do the "jack rabbit" start, just nice and easy. On the freeway, ive got the safc tuned to 14.5'is afr cruizing speeds and 11.5 at WOT. I save gas like crazy. Of course ive got BPU (ie.,3 inch turbo back exhuast, FFIC, K&N filter...)

ed.d.

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
Exactly. Here is how that breaks down:
If you have high horsepower (aka high efficiency and flow. remember: an engine is essentially a giant pump. more efficiency/flow is a good thing) then it takes less gas to move the vehicle because you are getting more out of each bit of combustion.

Of course, if you put your foot in it, then you have to use more gas to burn that extra air making more power and acceleration, but dropping your MPG drastically.

I went from Va Beach to Richmond and back (dont know the mileage but it's and hour and 30 minutes one way at around 70 mph cruising, no time for math atm), boosting slightly every now and then, on a 1/4 tank of 93 octane. I'm BPU spec, so it can be done :naughty:

dreamweaver13

Feb 5, 2006
milford, MI
IJ: what speed and RPM are you cruising at on the highway?

I'm in Michigan cruising at 70-80mph (~2800-3000 rpm) with plenty of boosting and getting 24mpg combined on a 7M with the old school MAFT & GM MAF. But there is definitely more mpg to be had!

EdT.Mk3

Sorta Secret Supra
Aug 21, 2008
San Diego
super.secret.supra.club;1145206 said:
I am running a 2j with a t70. Around town the turbo is laggy. At stop and go traffic i dont do the "jack rabbit" start, just nice and easy. On the freeway, ive got the safc tuned to 14.5'is afr cruizing speeds and 11.5 at WOT. I save gas like crazy. Of course ive got BPU (ie.,3 inch turbo back exhuast, FFIC, K&N filter...)

ed.d.

Too bad you have a lead foot, so conservation mode lasts about 1 day at most unless you slap a "NO BOOSTING!" sticker over your pillar pod. :biglaugh:

iskrem

Oct 1, 2008
Norway, Gardermoen
Wow, surprised about some of the answers, especially that 7M, 1JZ and 2JZ gives good mpg. I would think that the 1JZ-GTE would stand out on top followed by 2JZ-GE, 2JZ-GTE and the 7M-GTE. Guess I thought wrong. :p

EDIT:
I normally do about 450 km with 55-60 litres and average driving. The least I've had is 340 km with 55-60 litres driving like a maniac and the most is 570 km with 55-60 litres mostly on the highway.

There is actually 70 litre tank on the Supra. I didn't know that before 5 minutes ago. Always refueled as soon as the fuel-meter warning light came on.

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
try keeping it above a 1/4 tank if possible. It's better than running all the way to the bottom. Yes, there is (i think) a 2 gallon reserve once that light comes on. I've driven quite a ways with that light shining lol