Help with Maintenance

mOUs3y

Sep 27, 2012
Saacramento
mcammarn;1879154 said:
im suprised thats all you paid for it. i seen them go for more. theres been a few post about lowest mileage mk3s on here.

oh really? I'll go look for it. let me know if you find it. thanks in advance.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
AFQC;1879139 said:
That is an amazing find. This might be the lowest mile MKIII.
There was on efor sale in WA recently with less then 100Miles and the car had never been owned by anyone they wanted $50,000

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
the previous owner must have left that key on his ring even though he never drove it, for the past 15+ years....

I saw it and thought 10000miles no way - until I looked over the rest of the photos,

those engine bay photos are real nice, I almost think supramania should have a OEM-stock photo reference thread for restorer's reference...

mOUs3y

Sep 27, 2012
Saacramento
ok so i ended up changing the coolant, oil, and power steering fluid. I replaced the CMC because the seal went bad and it was leaking a little at the clutch pedal. I do hear a sound that I know isn't right: when i am at slow speeds on first gear and i step on the cluch, i hear a loud clicking noise. Also when i am in gear (doesn't matter which one) and I do a quick jab on the throttle, i hear this popping/thug noise. Any idea what that could be?

AFQC

What was that noise?
Mar 30, 2008
Vancouver WA
Sorry dude, my comment was not related to that. More so that the 7M engines are known for having low head bolt torque values from the factory that result in blown head gaskets. Might as well get that done now and not have to worry about it down the road. Look around this site and you will find an encyclopedia’s worth of information on it. As far as the clutch noises go it’s hard to e-diagnose. Did it do that before you changed the clutch cylinder?

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
It might not be what you want to hear, but I also say you should strongly consider parking it again and finding another Supra to use. Every once in a while, a pristine car like this will show up, but eventually there wont be any more. Up to you, and if you want to drive it anyways, youre well on the right track.

Still, a car that has been sitting for that long will likely have just as many problems, quirks, or areas that need attention as any other one out there. Thanks for the pictures though. Many people will say $10k is high for an N/A MkIII, but considering the condition and mileage, it is a collector's car and still much cheaper than an actual time machine!

hud43

hud43
Aug 15, 2005
Oak Harbor, Washington
Wow, sweet find!
Do not molest this car!!!
Just enjoy it. I'm not a big fan of parking cars and not driving them but, I wouldn't just drive this gem to work every day. Drive it to church on Sundays, a weekend run to the mountains when the weather is good or, let your son take his date to the prom in a sweet car, yes. Not a to work every day. And I sure as hell wouldn't start modifying the thing, way too special of a car for that.

I say again...

DO NOT MOLEST THIS CAR!

mOUs3y

Sep 27, 2012
Saacramento
not sure if you guys want to see this, but i found this in the glove compartment. I also found that booklet they give out at the dealer when you want to know more about the car. let me know if you want me to post that as well.

IMG_20121001_062341.jpg

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
kotu100;1878769 said:
does it really have 9114 miles?
If so, disconnect the battery, park it in a climate controlled garage and come back in another 20 years. :)

mkiiichip;1878959 said:
I think kotu hit it right on the head^
Hate to say it, but... these guys might be on to something. Then again, a car is meant to be driven. Just get it appraised soon. ;)

mOUs3y;1879148 said:
thanks guys! yeah i am scared that someone will ding me when i park outside at target or something. I was very hesitant to even change out the tires because I wanted to keep everything original but the tire guys convinced me to change it because it might blow up or something. I should have kept those tires though so i can say i still have it. i do have the original battery though sitting in the garage. it's a yuasa brand. i never knew they made car batteries.

unfortunately my corolla's transmission died a few days ago and I need to daily drive this until i get it fixed. the owner asked only two things from me: 1. don't drive it in the rain cuz he never did. I looked under the car and i was like WTF?!. 2. only wash the car and wipe it going one direction only - front to back - lololololol. you should see my neighbors reactions everytime i wash it.

you think i should submit my pics to import tuner or something while it's still looking new?
Hey man, those tires might have had JDM air in them! (unlikely due to how tires naturally leak air, but still...)

My suggestion, get that Corolla fixed as soon as is possible, and don't put any more miles on the Supra than you really have to. You don't see too many looking that good anymore. I would suggest you keep the car garaged if at all possible. Sunlight does terrible things to cars...

Anyway, couldn't hurt to send in a few pictures to a magazine, their editor might have a soft spot for classic stock Japanese steel.

mOUs3y;1879151 said:
lol i paid $10,000 for it =*(
Worth it. Find me another used car in that kind of condition, for that kind of money, that is anywhere NEAR as nice as your car? I'll give you a hint: you probably won't. ;)

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
mOUs3y;1879148 said:
thanks guys! yeah i am scared that someone will ding me when i park outside at target or something. I was very hesitant to even change out the tires because I wanted to keep everything original but the tire guys convinced me to change it because it might blow up or something. I should have kept those tires though so i can say i still have it. i do have the original battery though sitting in the garage. it's a yuasa brand. i never knew they made car batteries.

unfortunately my corolla's transmission died a few days ago and I need to daily drive this until i get it fixed. the owner asked only two things from me: 1. don't drive it in the rain cuz he never did. I looked under the car and i was like WTF?!. 2. only wash the car and wipe it going one direction only - front to back - lololololol. you should see my neighbors reactions everytime i wash it.

you think i should submit my pics to import tuner or something while it's still looking new?

What are you saying, exactly?

RogueCustoms

Custom Painter/Fabricator
Apr 7, 2012
Beaverton, Oregon, United States
mOUs3y;1879133 said:
Here ya go guys. Sorry I suck at taking pictures. I wish you guys could smell the new car smell. Every time I get out the car, my clothes has that smell. Anyway, I ended up changing the original tires. The old guys at the tire stores were saying something about not seeing Goodyear eagle GTs in ages or something. They also joked about the air in the tires before they took them off was the original air from japan back in 1989. They said the air in there might be cleaner than the air we breathe today lol. The spare in the back is still original and never used too.

Oh I also have the original sticker thing they put on the window when they sell you the car from the dealer and that car book they give you that talks about the car like those brochure thingys. Let me know if you want me to upload that as well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/87845261@N05/

Um... Let's see here...

What you should do is Private Message me your full name, address, phone number and when are likely times when the car is home, un-garaged, and you are not... :biglaugh:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
To be serious and answer the OP's initial question, it would be a good idea to replace all fluids, and anything that is rubber, as well as torquing the head bolts again. I forget the proper procedure with doing that, perhaps someone will chime in, as I've read a few different methods...

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I would park this puppy or sell it. 10,000 is less than half what its worth imo. Driving it is a crime really. You can go out and buy a Supra that has about 80,000 in parts put into it for 20,000... so .. if you cant keep/store it.. sell it and buy the 600+ rwhp Supra.
You found a diamond... its a dream for most of us.. to go see the little old lady who's son suffered some misfortune 25 years ago and the car just sat in the garage...

would be a shame to drive it.. but thats just my opinion.

mOUs3y

Sep 27, 2012
Saacramento
Hey guys! thanks for all the input! I really don't know much about cars, but I tried to do as much changes like you guys posted. I am trying my best to just use it only on the weekends and not as a DD; however, it is really hard to find a 2003 toyota corolla manual transmission and my DD is still out of commission. So in the mean time, I'm driving this car haha.

I didn't know what you guys meant about "rubbers" so I didn't do anything about that. I think I would probably get jacked by the mechanics if i told them to replace "all" rubbers. My main concern right now is my clutch. It feels really soft as time progresses and I think there's probably air in the line. I did replace the clutch master cylinder because I noticed it leaking from under the clutch pedal. I bled it multiple times and it's still soft. I think i'm bleeding it wrong though. My question is before I take it to a shop to have them do it, you think it being soft still is because the slave is bad as well? Is there a way to tell? Basically i'm wondering if I should change the slave out before bleeding it again when just bleeding it won't fix the softness. Ohhh, when I'm in high rpm shifting, it gets crazy soft like a hot knife on butter. Thanks again in advance for all your help!