help with egr removal

mk3_chris

Jul 31, 2007
sc
To start off with YES I have read why this isn't the best thing to do, but it's going to happen anyway. My question is there anyway to remove the stock egr plate while the engine is in the car(with out pulling the head off)?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Band-aids, lots of them LOL

It's not something I would do unless I HAD to do it (I HAD to as the EGR cooler was leaking and trying to melt my wiring harness).

mk3_chris

Jul 31, 2007
sc
Thats basically whats happening the new gasket didn't seal properly :[. I just don't want to pull the engine again. I'm at the point where I started modifying my tools to make it work. I'm just wondering if there is an easier way.

roadboy

Supra Owner
Jan 22, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Poodles;1439561 said:
Band-aids, lots of them LOL

It's not something I would do unless I HAD to do it (I HAD to as the EGR cooler was leaking and trying to melt my wiring harness).

do you have to have a EGR cooler if you blocked off the egr ports?

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Englewood, Ohio, United States
roadboy;1439662 said:
do you have to have a EGR cooler if you blocked off the egr ports?
no, by blocking off the EGR ports and leaving the cooler all you doing is leaving hot gas trapped on the back of the head. JDM cars didn't come with a cooler, instead they had a two bolt plate to cover the hole of the cooler.

mk3_chris

Jul 31, 2007
sc
I've got plates as such so there won't be any gas leaving the head. Like i said i know its ill advised but if you get your hands on a jdm ecu :icon_bigg you'd be fine. I'm just trying to get some advice on getting the stock plate off with out have to repull the engine.

Ps. if this is your pic i stole sorry.

Attachments

• cimg59114uk.jpg
    cimg59114uk.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 49

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
IF you have a JDM ECU, go for it.

I used a flex head gear wrench with the socket adapter. It's still a nightmare to do...

mk3_chris

Jul 31, 2007
sc
Yea no kidding, i've only been able to get 2 of the bolts out so far. But its good to know it is possible, I was starting to think it wasn't.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Remove 3 bolts holding tranny mount to crossmember, lift tranny to tilt engine forward.

Without the flex head gear-wrenches and the socket adapter I dunno how the hell you'd do it...

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
Poodles;1439856 said:
Remove 3 bolts holding tranny mount to crossmember, lift tranny to tilt engine forward.

smiley%20sign%20i%20agree.gif

Tilt the engine forward, remove any heater hoses in the way, and lay on top of the engine. With a wrench and 1/4" ratchet & socket, you can reach all of the bolts with ease.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Also might help to remove the hood, considering how easy it is. Just make sure to mark how it's location carefully before removal.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
just undo the hood shocks (lift supports) and lay it back onto the glass. Put a blanket or something between the two. A few guys have said removing the valve covers helps too

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Poodles;1439999 said:
No adjustment in the hood ;)

LOL, truth. Totally forgot! I guess that means I should go out and work on that stupid car again, eh?

I was thinking of my BMW... (has slotted holes where the hood bolts to the body so you can align it, but really it's just more of a PITA than anything...)