Help! Supra doesn't run right

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
WooHoo! Glad to hear it runs and you're making significant progress! Get that thing rolling ASAP so you can really narrow in on the stuff that's most troublesome.

Don't let this thing sit on stands forever! :)

Abe's 1987

Sep 5, 2017
Houston,TX
WooHoo! Glad to hear it runs and you're making significant progress! Get that thing rolling ASAP so you can really narrow in on the stuff that's most troublesome.

Don't let this thing sit on stands forever! :)

Yeah I'm working on brakes right now. Ordered some parts off rockauto, just waiting on them now. Then it's off the stands and on the road. Gots to get the fuel system right. Need it to hold pressure after shut off and need fpr to work right. Also going to take the starter back to autozone tomorrow to get a good one.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
Yeah I'm working on brakes right now. Ordered some parts off rockauto, just waiting on them now. Then it's off the stands and on the road. Gots to get the fuel system right. Need it to hold pressure after shut off and need fpr to work right. Also going to take the starter back to autozone tomorrow to get a good one.

Be careful with those Autozone starters/alternators. Just because it has a lifetime warranty does not mean you want to change it every year lol. Should stick with a Denso unit.

If some Walbros do not hold pressure (or have built in check valves) when it shuts off why do you want to put a check valve in place? My Walbro 450 drops fuel pressure fast when the engine is shut off and I do not have any starting problems or other issues.

Abe's 1987

Sep 5, 2017
Houston,TX
Be careful with those Autozone starters/alternators. Just because it has a lifetime warranty does not mean you want to change it every year lol. Should stick with a Denso unit.

If some Walbros do not hold pressure (or have built in check valves) when it shuts off why do you want to put a check valve in place? My Walbro 450 drops fuel pressure fast when the engine is shut off and I do not have any starting problems or other issues.

Yeah I was just reading that today that these walbro build pressure within seconds the key is turned on. Might as well not worry about that.

Need to focus on the fpr, starter, and brakes atm.

Last edited:

Abe's 1987

Sep 5, 2017
Houston,TX
Got the rear guide pins in today from rockauto and got them installed. Now just waiting on the e-brake shoes and swap out starter and back on the ground she goes.

Starter will be done tomorrow if all goes to plan.

Then will start on diagnosing the fpr issue I'm having.

What is the torque spec on the starter bolts?

Abe's 1987

Sep 5, 2017
Houston,TX

Abe's 1987

Sep 5, 2017
Houston,TX
Went to autozone today. The girl who helped me tested the starter and the tester tested it good but the other employee standing behind her said that starter sounds bad. He told her to manually fail the test so they can warranty it out. Sadly they had to order one in for tomorrow's truck sooo they will have to test and manually fail it again when I go get the replacement tomorrow.

Still waiting for the brake shoes to install and get her off the stands. Already got the front brakes on. Once I get all that together I'll start working on the fpr issue.

What is the stock tire pressure requirements for these supras? I've read in multiple places ranging from 30 to 40 psi in front and rear! What is the exact psi requirements for the 1987 turbo? Thing is I don't have stock wheels! Also something I've never seen, my rims has 2 valve stems per rim. One on front and one on the back.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
What is the stock tire pressure requirements for these supras? I've read in multiple places ranging from 30 to 40 psi in front and rear! What is the exact psi requirements for the 1987 turbo? Thing is I don't have stock wheels! Also something I've never seen, my rims has 2 valve stems per rim. One on front and one on the back.

Stock tire pressures are on a sticker inside the glovebox. It's 28psi, all 'round. However, I've been running 32psi for a very long time without issue.

Very strange about 2 valve stems...

What size wheels and tires do you have?

Abe's 1987

Sep 5, 2017
Houston,TX
Ok I just saw the sticker in the glove box. Didn't know it was there. Normally The stickers are on the driver side door. The set up this supra has is bzo 17" rims on 225/45r17 kumho ecsta ast. Looks fairly new.

I got the brake shoes in today and got those and all brakes installed. Went to autozone and swapped out the starter. Will install that tomorrow. Just ordered the frame the headlights and radiator mounts to as mine was cut. Will have a body shop install that when it gets here. Slowly but surely it's getting there. At this point I should start a build thread shouldn't i?

Last edited:

Abe's 1987

Sep 5, 2017
Houston,TX
I'm back, didn't realize that supramania was back. Got super busy with school, work, and family. Finally graduated with my bachelor's in finance and am half way through my masters in MBA.

I still have the 1jz supra running but still needs some work. Just ordered a coolant hose from Japan as it is discontinued and this one site was the only place that had the hose in stock. Couldn't find the right size and figured might as well get the original.

I kept in touch with a couple fellow supramaniacs via text. Definitely missed everyone here and look forward to chatting with yall some more.

Jsway9

Mar 13, 2022
Parts are becoming harder to find. I just went to Japan and completley forgot to look for supra parts out there

Abe's 1987

Sep 5, 2017
Houston,TX
Got the full length clutch line from driftmotion.
20230621_181527.jpg

Had to cut the old line. Couldn't get it out with as cramped as the bay is.
20230621_185607.jpg

But I ran into a issue. There was so much grit in the system that the master cylinder is shot now. Will replace that and the slave cylinder soon.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
A suggestion: where your new speedo cable threads onto the transmission, take it back off and antisieze the crap out of it. Do the same where the two pieces meet. Future you will appreciate that.