Help! Supra doesn't run right

Abe's 1987

Sep 5, 2017
Houston,TX
Stay focused on getting it running well. Plenty of time for that stuff later.

No doubt my goal right now, getting it running right. Ordered the fuel pump already, just shipped out. Will be out of town for a few weeks so will install the pump when I get back into town. Hopefully it runs after that (fingers crossed). Then my next goal is to make sure there is a mhg with arp head studs torqued to the right spects.

Abe's 1987

Sep 5, 2017
Houston,TX
While being out of town I've been reading up on the big brake mod on our supras. Supposedly the Mercedes s500 caliper and rotor fits on these supras. I also read that the Mercedes s320 calibers fit on the stock rotors! I'm considering the s320 calibers but what year s320 do I need to get them from? Has anyone here done the s320 caliber swap? Is it worth it? Also is there a mod for the rear brakes?

Abe's 1987

Sep 5, 2017
Houston,TX
^ This is a good video on YT on the front brake upgrade. I believe there is a rear upgrade kit but personally I do not know too much about it. Also stainless steel brake lines make a big difference in braking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdjc4qh6Pc4

I've watch that video a couple of times. I've read on another forum that he should have used the s500 or r350 rotors instead of the 350z rotors.

Ive also read something about evo 8 calipers and sti rotors on the rear but requires modification to the rotors

Abe's 1987

Sep 5, 2017
Houston,TX
Ok I got back into town yesterday. New fuel pump did arrive to my place. I will start dropping the tank tomorrow and swap the pump. Will keep you guys updated. I'm guessing it still has the original pump but won't officially know until I pull it out.

Abe's 1987

Sep 5, 2017
Houston,TX
Ok pulled the gas tank out today. Haven't taken out the sender unit yet as it took me time to pull the tank and clean to top of the tank of the dirt to prevent it from falling in the tank when I open it. I did realize the pressure line from the fuel filter to the sender unit was pinched. That may have been my issue but since i have the tank down anyways i might as well swap the pump. I decided to go ahead and put a walbro pump instead of the stock as I have plan of upgrades in the near future. Will order it soon.

Abe's 1987

Sep 5, 2017
Houston,TX
Ok pulled out the pump this morning. It has a newish SEP pump. Is this a good company? They also had a foam insulator around the pump, what would be the benefit to that?

Good news inside of the tank is clean as hell. Will be ordering my walbro this weekend. Will also be checking other things under the supra while I still have her up in the air.

Another question, should I change the breather filter and all the gaskets on the fuel tank while I have it out or is it just a waste of money and time? Can we even get those new?

Last edited:

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
When this thing finally comes to a close you're gonna have to post a video with champagne flying all over the windshield or something. This has to be the longest and most in depth "car won't run" thread I've ever seen! You've followed up really well, so it's not a bad thing it's this long, but it will make for a glorious finish if you get it resolved.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Like a new ship christening, when they break a bottle of champagne over the bow before dropping it into the water?

Abe's 1987

Sep 5, 2017
Houston,TX
When this thing finally comes to a close you're gonna have to post a video with champagne flying all over the windshield or something. This has to be the longest and most in depth "car won't run" thread I've ever seen! You've followed up really well, so it's not a bad thing it's this long, but it will make for a glorious finish if you get it resolved.

Might strap some fireworks to it as well and shot those off as I'm driving. Post a video of that.

Yeah it took some time and a ton of tools purchase to diagnose it. Also did swap a bunch of bad parts in the process. And learned a ton in the process. And this will help others in the future as we tested multiple systems in the process.

Do appreciate you guys for the help!!

Abe's 1987

Sep 5, 2017
Houston,TX
Ordered the walbro pump. Should be here by Monday hopefully.

But I still need to figure out why the fpr vsv isn't letting vac through after I get everything back together. Could the pump being restricted cause the vsv system from not kicking on? Maybe a safety feature toyota added?

Abe's 1987

Sep 5, 2017
Houston,TX
can you bypass it to ensure that's the problem?

I did bypass it and it was the vsv that was the issue. The vsv tested good off the car but when plugged in doesn't open. Once I get the pump and install everything I will see if it works right after that if not got some more diagnosing to do.

Abe's 1987

Sep 5, 2017
Houston,TX
I'm so eager to get this pump and get it in and get her running. I do need to clean up my brake system as i see tons of surface rust starting to build up and wheels dont turn by hand. From what i see under the supra looks good other then some kind of oil leaks. After she runs, going to do a routine maintenance. I also need to figure out my headlight issue.

Last edited: