Help on spring choice!

TurboJoe

Feb 21, 2009
Springfield, MO
So I just picked up some Monroe struts and I thought I had my spring choice until I found that H&R don't ride well and rub more than I want. I am looking for a moderate drop (less than 2"), good stance, and an okay ride. It is a 89 turbo daily driver so I need something that wont ride too awful on midwest roads. I know, I shouldn't have gotten stock struts but I got a steal on them.

Anyone have suggestions and/or experience with a good set of springs you'd recommend? I'm pretty picky I know but I am open to all suggestions. Pics of stances would be helpful if you've got them. They'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Pic of the car:
p1547842_1.jpg

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Monroe's, huh?
Anyway- I recommend Eibach's. They drop the front a little over 1.5", and the rear about 1", which is the perfect stance IMHO.
They are progressive, so they ride well on the street, and tighten up when you really corner. That's my experience at least.
As for Monroe's, I don't really know if they're worth a damn or not. I would have gotten KYB's, if I wanted to save $$.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Step 1: return Monroes
Step 2: buy bilstein/KYB/tokicos (in order of best ot worst, though there will be arguements)
After that, spring choice is way too opinion based. How stiff do you want it? How low do you want to go? With the bilsteins you can lower the car on the stock springs as well.

TurboJoe

Feb 21, 2009
Springfield, MO
Poodles;1547965 said:
Step 1: return Monroes
Step 2: buy bilstein/KYB/tokicos (in order of best ot worst, though there will be arguements)
After that, spring choice is way too opinion based. How stiff do you want it? How low do you want to go? With the bilsteins you can lower the car on the stock springs as well.

Im looking for a moderate drop, no more than 2inches and want a good ride, I will not be AutoXing or racing of any sort. It's daily driver and am just looking for a clean ride.

geartech

Mar 11, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Wow, I have the H&R's on mine with tokico blues( going to swap for Koni adj ) but the ride is pretty good, can't really complain about it. Drop is good. Rear could be about .5 inches lower but nothing I can fix when I get to it.
A lot of the ride comes down to how well the springs are matched to the shocks/struts with the rebound and compression dampening. If you change the rate too much even an adj strut can't compensate. Most have a window of 1-2kg spring rate change up or down before they have to be re-valved by the manufacture. Found this out with my 944 turbo car. Car had Koni race struts on the front. Put 200lb springs back on it to soften the car up so I thought. No matter what spring rate I used after given point the ride actually got worse. I just didn't have the adj in the strut to compensate for the softer springs. They were valved for a 500lb spring, they were great on the track but really su--ed on the street. Ended up putting bilstein's on the front and carrera coil overs on the rear. It's all about a matched set to get the best ride and performance out of them.