Hello!

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Hello, my name is Steve, I live in Minnesota, and I drive a 1991 Supra Turbo. It's got 195,000 on the clock, and it's rebuild time. No problem though, I work on cars at a dealer every day. Hope to make 400-500 next summer, if I'm lucky... See you around!

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Welcome, and good luck on your quest! Are you going w/ forged internals, or you gonna be a real man and do it on stock pistons/rods. ;) LOL

Really, I'm just bustin' on ya. :) I'm sure you'll find everything you need to know right here on SM. Post up some pics of your car!

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Yeah, well I'm planning on Eagle rods, Wiseco pistons, ARP studs, MHG (haven't decided brand yet). GT35R turbo, 3" exhaust, hardpipes, maybe a lex afm and 550's. Still trying to put together a plan for a really responsive setup. Aiming for 400-500 with great response being key. Well, here's some pics, just towed it home a week ago. Got it running in 2 hours...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Too bad it's so cold out, I'd like to drive it stock for a week and see how it responds, but oh well. The oil leaks and turbo scream tell me it's rebuild time...

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Welcome, and::w00t:: another member from MN!!! Where abouts in Mn are you? Also with a GT35R you will probably need to be stand alone since that turbo is too big for any piggy back. With that turbo 550's will be too small, and as for the lex afm you might as well ditch that also for MAP. Read up there is a lot of supporting mods for that turbo you need first. Make a correct mod list first, then start to open the wallet really wide.

Maybe look into a TD-06 turbo as it also will get you around 400 hp, when tuned correct, and can run off of a piggy back all day long ;)

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
I'm in the Anoka area. I know it's going to take a lot to run that turbo, I'm still reading up on everything I can, trying to put together that list. I figured I'd do a strong base build and figure my plan out from there. Anyways, I'll be around, learning as much as I can from ya'll. Thanks

FYI: Engine's going to come out this weekend, the oil slick in my garage is spreading at an alarming rate...

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
I see, your about 35 min south of me off of 10. Removing the 7M, that is only a friday night job and tht includes drinking a case of beer ;)

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Mr. IJ- Man, do I have some questions for you! That is, when you have time... I would like to know what you did to your supra when you ran your gt35r. NSX tells me the GT35r is a whole lot of turbo to build for. I've planned to rebuild the motor with forged internals, but what are some other things you would suggest. 4-500 hp can wait, I just want to get a parts base for what I'll need to get, to be using that turbo, even at low boost. Thanks.

Last edited:

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
toyotanos;1194952 said:
NSX tells me the GT35r is a whole lot of turbo to build for.
Re-read my post again. It isn't so much a "whole lot of turbo" as it is using the correct supporting mods for the turbo and fuel management system. Lex afm and 550's, with a GT35R...............:nono:

A whole lot of turbo would be something in the GT47 family

Building with forged internals is a great plan, now Im not no Ian, but I would also recommend (for engine only) besides basic rebuild with decking, new shimmed OEM oil pump, new OEM oil pump driveshaft, having the rotating assembly balanced, arp's for main bearing caps and connecting rods if they dont already come with them. As for the head, again besides basic overhaul, port & polish, OS valves, springs, cams, gears. Oh-shit thats right, this is what I already have done to my 7m.

But then again I tend to over build things, but it is better then doing it twice ;)

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
I was waffling on how to phrase that, sorry.
I used to own an 89 MR2 S/C, and that feeling is what I'm trying to go towards. I know the Supra will never outhandle my old car, but it's the responsive drive that I'm after.

The reason I chose the GT35R turbo is because IJ said that it had positive manifold pressure at 2000rpm! That would be considered responsive in my book. Doesn't have to have 18psi at 2000, I just don't want to have to wait for it. I'm looking for 8-12 the start out with. Would the stock ECU handle that for a while, like for break-in? *I know not to boost during break-in, just wondering if the stocker would handle the spool speed after...

My biggest problem is that I have always built engines for stock to slightly above stock performance, never for double OEM output. I know what works for basic builds, but it's the finer points that I'm after. Building a motor isn't difficult, it's getting it right that's so hard.
I thank you for your input, I am always trying to learn as much as I can.

Last edited:

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
the 35R is a power turbo... if you want 500whp then its a good turbo.
but from the sounds of it, your like me, and want a really good responsive street car.
You should look into a GT30R with like an .82 hot side...

after i researched a little, and saw the kind of power each turbo is capable of producing, the 35R would just be wasted, because i would never want to go that high in power.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
I've just got back from work and I solved the oil leak problem. I cleaned the crap off the underbody and ran the car...found the last person to have touched the turbo didn't add a gasket to the banjo fitting for oil feed! Added a new one and poof, no more leak! Still going to pull the motor for the rebuild, but now I won't take a bath in oil!

Thanks you for your input, guys, I really appreciate all your help!