Heater core feedback please

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Okay, so I am tired of this Fing coolant smell, inside my Sup. Looked to get a used replacement, but PPL want too much $$, or are not very responsive (I gave my extras away a couple years back). I was going to pressure test the replacement, soon as i got it.

However, I found that local auto parts have NEW ones, between $46 & $50. All say pressure tested and some have lifetime warranty, etc.

Murray 398296
Napa NHC 6603539
Spectra Premium 94712

Anyone have any experience with these? No, not gonna go with a OEM one, since it seems to be a common issue in the MKIIIs.

TIA,
E

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
OEM is going to be your best bet, but it will be expensive. The quality of OEM will likely exceed any of the aftermarkets. I have also read that the aftermarkets have a lower fin count reducing their efficiency, meaning less heat output. Someone with experience with that will have to chime in though.

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
I have the Napa core in mine, it seems to work fine, been in about two years now. I got rid of the oring crap connections and soldered my tubes on though. I swear though if it fails again which it might be, I am going to have a stainless one custom made I don't care what it cost. My dash has been in and out four times due to these stinking herter cores. LOL

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
the OEM one is a brass unit. If you could find an aluminum unit that would help with galvanic corrosion. More than likely it will have to be custom if you want it out of Aluminum.

remember depending on the copper content, the brass heat core might be better (thermal efficency) but it will be heavier to a comparable aluminum unit.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Something to consider, are your hoses pushed on far enough? I know it seems like an obvious thing, but mine weren't, and due to the fact that it's a pain in the ass to get to, I let it go for a while. Didn't wanna take another road trip with a little coolant dripping into the car (and the heat that came along with it, was seeing cabin temps of over 90° F, so I finally tore it all apart and to my surprise... no leaking heater core. Hoses just weren't pushed on enough. Needed a spare set of hands to fix it, but other than that, problem solved.

If that's not gonna do it for you, just ignore my rambling. :)

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
I've dealt with both OEM and aftermarket. The OEM is better quality and fit. If you poke around, there was a recent thread where I posted a bunch of tips to make the job easier. I've done quite a few at this point.

bugz66

Nov 10, 2009
oakland
i done mine in November with the kragens/o'reillys heater core (took about 8 to 10 hours)
and i have no problem with it yet.and it fit perfect.i also use silicone on the inlet & outlet tubes so it will not leak.
was well worth it!!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
The common failure point I've seen with the OEM core is in the Crease of the tank that seperates the sides, one BHG and it swells the end plate and this in turn splits the material at the crease leading to a leak :(