head was shaved too much off!

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
spooln30;1802856 said:
I'm also from MILW, which machine shop did the work? Did they say why they took that much off? My guess is the head was so warped that it took that much to get it straight but in that case they should have put in a press for a half a day to try to straighten it out a bit before the milled it.

Why not just buy a thicker metal head gasket? If you can figure out what your compression ratio is now then you can figure what head gasket will get you closer to a safe CR. You might be able to get a 2.0mm MHG and get it closer to a 9:0 CR then I say run the head. I had a 7m head milled twice and my CR was at 9:3:1 and I never ran into any issues. I did notice a big gain is spool with it being higher. The only problem I can remember was setting the cam gears in the right spot so when I applied tension to the t-belt the timing marks where aligned.

I took the head to AMS by the state fair grounds. Head has never been shaved before. Where did you take your head? I've heard of C&S and I'm thinking of taking the head that's in my car to them.

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
The guy at the shop said the head was warped and that they needed to take that much off. The owner of AMS seemed kinda like he didn't care. Probably because they only work on domestic racing motors.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
tyang82;1802919 said:
The guy at the shop said the head was warped and that they needed to take that much off. The owner of AMS seemed kinda like he didn't care. Probably because they only work on domestic racing motors.

Called it ;) Don't worry, I would be more worried about the quality of their shop if they cut the head 10thou and gave it back to you in that (unusable) condition.

MPR

John 3:16
Dec 17, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
tyang82;1802919 said:
The guy at the shop said the head was warped and that they needed to take that much off.

There you go.

.008 thou extra is really not anything to worry about. As toyotanos said, if they only took .010 thou off, it still would not be completely flat now would it? ;)

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
toyotanos;1802937 said:
Called it ;) Don't worry, I would be more worried about the quality of their shop if they cut the head 10thou and gave it back to you in that (unusable) condition.
you called the shop?

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
No, I think you're a bit confused here. "Called it" is an expression used to indicate that I had previously predicted the outcome or cause. (its kind of a joke)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=called it

I was simply referring to my previous statement in post #14:
Toyotanos said:
Also realize that the machine shop will try to stick to your specs, but if the head isn't clean after that amount, it won't seal the head gasket properly- so they cut it until its clean. My opinion: slightly thinner head with a good surface > thicker head with a wave built in

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
lol i see. ok so do i stay with standard spark plugs or do i need to change them up to iridium now?

lets not forget, IF i put this head on, its only going to be on for about a month or 2.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Spark plugs won't change anything, stick with cheap copper plugs. Heat range 20 for denso plugs. Not sure on NGK plugs tho.

I guess I'm confused why you would put work into a head that you're not planning on keeping around for long? Are you swaping to another engine or doing a built engine?

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
thats just a spare head i got from a local guy. its just to get my car on the road until i can get forge internals for the block. then port the head that is still good in my car now.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
I would say to leave the engine as it is right now until you have all the parts for the build, rather than trying to swap parts around- it just leads to more issues (unless you have something like BHG right now). The head that's on the engie may be worse than the one you have in your hads now, so wait until the build to decide which is the better candidate for putting money into.

Is the Supra your DD? If you want to make big power/go forged I would suggest picking up another DD car (Corolla/Civic/etc) and leave the Supra as he 'fun' car. When you go to build the engine, expect no less than 3 months waiting for parts, machining, assembly, setup, and fine-tuning.

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
I just sold my accord.

I believe im having symptoms of a BHG. Oil looks thin almost looking like chocolate milk. Coolant reserve tank always goes empty in about a half week of driving. So i want to save the head from it getting in any worst condition before it ends up like the one i have shaved now.

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
lol, i have a 2000 pontiac grand prix. there was problems with the accord so i sold it for cheap. $1000 I didnt wanna keep dumping money it.

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
actually i just miss driving my Supra. Its been in the garage too long now and Spring is right around the corner. Got the itch of just going for a cruise... o yeah, and now the pontiac is starting to have problems too. too many car problems. Thats why i choose to just change my head gasket and hoses and there. problem solved but this just happened. Head got shaved too much!

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
Yeah. So as long as you guys say its safe, I'm going for it. I'll keep you guys updated when and if anything goes wrong.

mkiii91t

Feb 21, 2011
Miami
Sorry to thread jack but I don't want to start another thread with the same info...I have a head that was shaved 25 thousandths off...would a 1.5 mm mhg be sufficient? or should I got with 2mm?

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
mkiii91t;1834850 said:
Sorry to thread jack but I don't want to start another thread with the same info...I have a head that was shaved 25 thousandths off...would a 1.5 mm mhg be sufficient? or should I got with 2mm?

Has the block been prepped too? There's a formula on here (spreadsheet I think) that will tell you what thickness gasket you need based on the block height and head height. But, if the block hasn't been prepped, good luck getting a mhg to seal...