head was shaved too much off!

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
tyang82;1802948 said:
lol i see. ok so do i stay with standard spark plugs or do i need to change them up to iridium now?

lets not forget, IF i put this head on, its only going to be on for about a month or 2.

Spark plugs dont matter. Use cheap copper.

toyotanos;1802956 said:
Spark plugs won't change anything, stick with cheap copper plugs. Heat range 20 for denso plugs. Not sure on NGK plugs tho.

I guess I'm confused why you would put work into a head that you're not planning on keeping around for long? Are you swaping to another engine or doing a built engine?

Heat range 6 for NGK is stock, 7 is one step colder. I run 7's.

tyang82;1803016 said:
Yeah. So as long as you guys say its safe, I'm going for it. I'll keep you guys updated when and if anything goes wrong.

You'll be just fine. The machine shop didnt mess up. Maybe they should have told you when they exceeded 10, but they likely needed to take off exactly what they did. Trust me, they didn't take off extra for fun, lol.

Move on to other things. You've got 100 other things that could ruin the Supra, start focusing on those. ;)

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
mkiii91t;1834850 said:
Sorry to thread jack but I don't want to start another thread with the same info...I have a head that was shaved 25 thousandths off...would a 1.5 mm mhg be sufficient? or should I got with 2mm?

The formula is simple:

(Amount shaved off head) + (amount shaved off block) + 1.37mm(the stock head gasket compressed) = New headgasket size while keeping compression ratio stock

Just convert all the measurements in to mm or inches so you're working with the same numbers. And keep in mind, this is to just keep the stock compression ratio. You can safely increase it by going thinner or decrease it by going thicker, just be sure you understand what you are doing when you go that route (there's LOTS of information out there). There's compression ratio calculators out there where you can put in all the piston/combustion chamber/head gasket etc. measurements and you can figure out exactly what compression ratio you will be running if you change the gasket to a different size.

If you want to read more up on it, here's the sticky:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?97552-Head-Gasket-thickness-selection

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
my car runs great now, plus i never used the head that was shaved too much off because i never took the block out. I had my 3rd head rebuilt instead.

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
radiod;1834950 said:
The formula is simple:

(Amount shaved off head) + (amount shaved off block) + 1.37mm(the stock head gasket compressed) = New headgasket size while keeping compression ratio stock

Just convert all the measurements in to mm or inches so you're working with the same numbers. And keep in mind, this is to just keep the stock compression ratio. You can safely increase it by going thinner or decrease it by going thicker, just be sure you understand what you are doing when you go that route (there's LOTS of information out there). There's compression ratio calculators out there where you can put in all the piston/combustion chamber/head gasket etc. measurements and you can figure out exactly what compression ratio you will be running if you change the gasket to a different size.

If you want to read more up on it, here's the sticky:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?97552-Head-Gasket-thickness-selection

Not to mention, if you go thicker or thinner it's a really good idea to degree your cams in to correct the deviation in event timing.