head was shaved too much off!

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
So the machine shop shaved off too much. 18 thousandths on an inch. I will be using the stock head gasket "felpro" along with Aaron's ARP head studs and exhaust stud repair kit. Hopefully it last me through Spring until i finish my other head. I know I shouldn't do this but i need to get my car rolling. as long as my block and internals don't give out on me, i will drive to work and back home until summer.

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
I don't even know what the machine shop shaved off my head. That motor suffered a massive rod knock as well...

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
tyang82;1802587 said:
Damn, so I should just try to get my money back huh?

they should of asked you for the factory specs or they should of known them.

They should not of taken so much off without asking first they need to help you replace it. at very least

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
Turbo habanero in wisconsin we don't have many 7m laying around in the junk years like down there in Cali. I've been in fresno junk yard and man there its a lot. By the way, any luck in getting your car back?

yotaracer28

Jan 7, 2007
kentucky
Or you could just get an hks 3mm headgasket :D that what i done to mine....but i have na internals

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
I told them not to take off more the 10 thousandths. I go pick it up and the guy said they took of 18. Smh

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
tyang82;1802593 said:
I told them not to take off more the 10 thousandths. I go pick it up and the guy said they took of 18. Smh

I don't see a reason why they should charge you then. A machine shop isn't WalMart. They are there to do very specific things, and if you told them not more than 10 then there is absolutely no reason to do 18.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
tyang82;1802591 said:
Turbo habanero in wisconsin we don't have many 7m laying around in the junk years like down there in Cali. I've been in fresno junk yard and man there its a lot.

Another reason they should help you for fucking your shit up.

tyang82;1802591 said:
By the way, any luck in getting your car back?

No luck yet. I can't even attempt to get the car back until March 5th

Greek;1802603 said:
I don't see a reason why they should charge you then. A machine shop isn't WalMart. They are there to do very specific things, and if you told them not more than 10 then there is absolutely no reason to do 18.

Agreed

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
I have installed a head like this before

I had such an issue timing the bloody car

so I measher the head it was plained to much

so my timing was eather 8 and lower or 13 plus

my fix was to shave the cps bracket to get to 12/13

i don't know what was with this block and head combo but what a bloody pain

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Also realize that the machine shop will try to stick to your specs, but if the head isn't clean after that amount, it won't seal the head gasket properly- so they cut it until its clean.My opinion: slightly thinner head with a good surface > thicker head with a wave built in :p

I do however, agree that you should have been contacted once your requested max cut number was exceeded.

Don't worry about it too much, I'm with Ian about the 'it's OK' statement. I had 12thou pulled off of my block and ~11 off the head. Plus its going back for round 2 to get the finish right this time :nono:

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
IJ.;1802596 said:
It'll be fine if you don't crank too much boost into it.

toyotanos;1802610 said:
Don't worry about it too much, I'm with Ian about the 'it's OK' statement. I had 12thou pulled off of my block and ~11 off the head. Plus its going back for round 2 to get the finish right this time :nono:

There ya go these guys know what there talking about :)

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
tyang82;1802591 said:
Turbo habanero in wisconsin we don't have many 7m laying around in the junk years like down there in Cali. I've been in fresno junk yard and man there its a lot. By the way, any luck in getting your car back?

There are two mk3's at Schmidts salvage yard in Madison. One has a gte and an R154 in it. I just took the clutch and brake pedal out of them a week or so ago.

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
Yes, that is why I pmed Ian. mr. Bojangles, I still have 2 heads. I was just a little upset at what the shop did. Thanks everyone

Nihiliz

Die Hard Supra Fan
Jul 23, 2007
United States
www.facebook.com
tyang82;1802655 said:
Yes, that is why I pmed Ian. mr. Bojangles, I still have 2 heads. I was just a little upset at what the shop did. Thanks everyone

That just amazes me,....... yeah dude, get your money back. they did not fallow instructions so why pay them. i understand it could go good on normal boost and stuff,. but if it was my head (personal opinion) i wouldent take the headback,. ive killed alot of 7m's in my life time,. and i know they dont like any kinds of failure,. so dealing with a 7m...if its not perfect in my eyes yeah i wouldent use it, mainly do to the fact i like to be able to dd my cars

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
So what you guys are saying is stock boost off the waste gate is safe? Anyways, the one that is still in my car will get the better work. Hopefully

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Yep, me myself I'd leave it stock with a side of stock :) You just need to make sure you use premium fuel (its needed anyways, but its more important now) You might be able to up the boost, but that's where you start risking stuff going bad so please don't do that.