Head shim

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
Today i got the head off my BHG'd motor and it had been repaired before. Whoever did it probably machined the head because they used a shim.
My question is, how does the shim seal to the block being that its just flat sheet metal? it looked like the exhaust from the combustion chamber was entering almost every coolant and oil passage in every cylinder.
Could i get away with no shim and just a fel-pro HG?

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
The block has never been machined, only the head.
I have a head that had .010" machined from it, would i be able to use that head with a felpro on this block? (no shim of course)

Why anyone would use a shim on a non machined block where a MHG wouldnt even seal is beyond me...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
You're assuming the block has never been machined, needs to be measured to verify, to answer that, no one would unless they were using GE pistons or wanted a big drop in compression.

10 thou off the head and a composite will be fine.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
IJ.;1833037 said:
You're assuming the block has never been machined, needs to be measured to verify, to answer that, no one would unless they were using GE pistons or wanted a big drop in compression.

10 thou off the head and a composite will be fine.

Is there any way to measure the block without removing and disassembling it?
Thanks for the advice!

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
So i verified the block has never been machined, after using a scotch brite pad to clean the massive amounts of carbon buildup on the surface of the block i could still see the indentations from the factory graphite gasket. Also on the intake side of the block next to the pistons there's a 2 stamped in the block surface.
This along with pretty good knowledge of the vehicle history tells me is hasnt been machined before.

Its nice that the shop went thru the effort to machine the head and shim it to take up the removed material. But then reusing the stock headbolts not torqued properly, and putting a shim on a surface that a MHG wouldn't even seal on, is ridiculous.

Just goes to show, just because a mechanic shop is legit doesnt mean they know their shit.

Sad part is, it was my g/f's uncle's shop that did the work...

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
AJ'S 88NA;1834206 said:
Why it's important to find a shop that is familiar with Toyota's... better with 7M's

EXACTLY
Unfortunately, there's really none of those around here. This is the 3rd headgasket/shim job i've seen on 7m's from the area, and all different shops...

Goes to show, if you want it done the right way, do it yourself, or send it out to a reputable builder and spend the money.