Has anyone seen negative wheel offsets in a mk3 supra and or 12 wide wheels

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
The stock wheels are like 7 in wide with an offset of over +30. If you made the offset less than zero, your wheel would have to be even more narrow to stay, at the most, flush with the fender. Unless... are you trying to make the wheel stick out of the fender?

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
You understand that the only thing negative wheel offset will do is push the wheel out further? And that -10 offset on a 7" wheel will look different from -10 on a 6" wheel?
In the case of a 12" wheel you would want positive offset and even then you would be pushing the wheels out of the wheel well significantly. Negative offsets would just push it out even more and would look stupid unless you put on widebody fenders.

Joe

Enjoy the ride
Jan 28, 2009
Santa ana
The stock offset is 7 wide 37 offset. Some people I have seen run 11 with 15 offset seen them in person.
They had rolled fenders and not so much pull , arroud 5 mm. Some supras that I googled had some panasports very aggresive I recal zero offset on 18x 11 panasport wheels and another had over flares on work meister 18x12 -19 offset. I would do overflares and body work to blend them in.

I know what offset -10 means the mounting of wheel nuts is 10 mm away from centerline of the wheel towards the center of the car. It also depends on the design of the wheel due that some companies make the wheel with an offset of 20 and the wheel appears as a 40 offset , I dont like that.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
The offset positions the wheel and tire side to side on the car, how can that change by appearance? If the tire is flush on two wheels of the same width and tire size, the offset has to be the same.

Joe

Enjoy the ride
Jan 28, 2009
Santa ana
Some designs of wheels just dont do justice.The stock wheels for example, offset +37 mm. From the center line of the wheel to the monting line should be 37mm, then if a 7" wide wheel like the saw blades has 177.8 mm. Divide by 177.8 by two thats 88.9mm, the centerline. From there, the wheel moves inward due to positive offset 37mm. If the offset really affects the wheel lip, then why the stock sawblades have no lip. Isnt 88 -37 =51mm or 2.1 inches of lip, Where is it at ?. After market wheels also do that in some cases.Take a look at the design of the sawblades, you ll figure out.

By the way tires are not a factor on wheel offset . They are bought on sidewall,wideness factors not on wheel offset, unless you know about what works on certain situations like low car or drag set up, flush or agressive for drift, ect ....and so on.

Last edited:

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Tires are almost a direct extension of the wheel, and are also what the offset positions. My point was if the same size tire tire is flush with the fender when mounted to the same width wheel, it doesnt matter what the wheel looks like as the offset is very likely the same.

IMO the appearance of offset is the position of the outside edge of the wheel lip in relation to the fender regardless of lip depth.

This is why i said, No wheel can look like a different offset with the same fitment and dimensions.

Does not matter if one wheel has no lip and the other has a five inch lip. The offset, or how the position of tire (or edge of wheel) appears side to side on the vehicle, will look the same.

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
p1578448_1.jpg

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
super.secret.supra.club;1573274 said:
no, you need to move to a more negative offset the wider you rims are.

When I read this...:

Zero Offset
The hub mounting surface is even with the centerline of the wheel.

Positive
The hub mounting surface is toward the front or wheel side of the wheel. Positive offset wheels are generally found on front wheel drive cars and newer rear drive cars.

Negative
The hub mounting surface is toward the back or brake side of the wheels centerline. "Deep dish" wheels are typically a negative offset.
(http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=101)

...this is what I think of:

p1578623_1.jpg

Three different wheels; the first two have the same offset, the last two have the same widths, and the first and last are flush with the fenders (all measurements are in units).

Can you please explain where I made (a) mistake(s)? Pics would be appreciated, as you can see I'm a visual person lol.

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
car is owned by kazeyuki

*edit*
GramLights 57pro
front:18x9.5 -6
rear: 18x10 -1

p1578839_1.jpg

p1578839_2.jpg

p1578839_3.jpg

p1578839_4.jpg

p1578839_5.jpg

p1578839_6.jpg

Last edited:

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
shit looks like i gotta find new offsets (unless i want to go widebody...)

That's just about the same width and offset that I wanted to go, but hate poke and stretched tires...

kazeyuki

Dec 25, 2007
Hawaii
You posted his offsets :3
spiller;1544027 said:
here's the final verdict on my set up now that the fenders have been rolled, ride heights are correct and the wheel alignment has been done...

F: 18x9 +15 (245/40)
R: 18x10 +22 (275/35)

lol

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
A. Jay;1578623 said:
Can you please explain where I made (a) mistake(s)? Pics would be appreciated, as you can see I'm a visual person lol.

I hope this explanation helps:

offset.gif

Try to visualize this:
- To the left of the picture is the inside of the fender.
- To the right of the picture is the outside of the fender.

In the picture above:
- the dotted line is the centerline of the wheel
- the mounting surface of the wheel is to the right of the centerline

let's make an example of 2 wheels:
Wheel 1: If the mounting surface of the wheel is to the left of the centerline, the offset is negative.
Wheel 2: If the mounting surface of the wheel is to the right of the centerline, the offset is positive.

Assuming that wheel 1 and 2 are the same width, wheel 1's out edge of the lip will stick out more towards the outside of the fender.