Has any one done a 7mgte to 7mge swap?

theflash083

Sep 3, 2006
ua
ive noticed its usually much cheaper to just put a 7mge into the supra rather than the 7mgte and i was wondering if it will just bolt right in with the right ecu into a 88 Turbo? I know theres going to be a couple extra wires laying around due to no tubo.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Dude, you're like reversing the theory of evolution. You're starting with a turbo and then going to a na............I must be trapped in a parallel universe, cause that just sounds wrong......................:nono:

Good luck either way..................lol

Fuzz420

Are U Here 2 take My Baby
suprahero said:
Dude, you're like reversing the theory of evolution. You're starting with a turbo and then going to a na............I must be trapped in a parallel universe, cause that just sounds wrong......................:nono:

Good luck either way..................lol

no i think hes asking if he can bolt up the ge inplace of the gte cause its cheaper, you know a full na-t.;)

theflash083

Sep 3, 2006
ua
No, im looking at doing this because i can buy a 7mge for about 400 bucks and then just have the car running so i can drive it around. Then i can work on building the 7mgte up :p

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
in bizarro world, sure. as for the real world, there wouldn't be any problem with it. like nick said, get all the electronics, too.

theflash083

Sep 3, 2006
ua
So if i bought the engine with all the stuff on it still ecu, distributors all that stuff it would bolt right in with out any major problems, i know it will be slower but ha, its faster than no engine at all.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
GTEs aren't exactly expensive. If there's already a turbo engine in the car, I don't so any reason to take it out to put a GE in it... Is the engine broke? wait til you can fix it... NA is not fun.

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
I have just done this.

Original engine was a 89 Turbo 7M. The new engine was a 92 7M NA complete with only 120k.

The shell was abandoned, so I put in the NA for my lil bro for his first car.

Required changes were (loosely from memory):

- Dash cluster changed to NA
- No IC or oil cooler obviously
- Changed to w58 driveshaft and slave assembly
- Various wiring changes from 89 to 92

IF it was same year to same year, there would be no wiring to deal with. Otherwise it was very straight forward. We spent maybe 3-4 hours on it tops, NAs are really easy to get running.

theflash083

Sep 3, 2006
ua
935motorsports said:
I have just done this.

Original engine was a 89 Turbo 7M. The new engine was a 92 7M NA complete with only 120k.

The shell was abandoned, so I put in the NA for my lil bro for his first car.

Required changes were (loosely from memory):

- Dash cluster changed to NA
- No IC or oil cooler obviously
- Changed to w58 driveshaft and slave assembly
- Various wiring changes from 89 to 92

IF it was same year to same year, there would be no wiring to deal with. Otherwise it was very straight forward. We spent maybe 3-4 hours on it tops, NAs are really easy to get running.

What would you need to change the dash cluster for? will it read bogus? and will the r154 tranny bolt straight to the new engine?

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
While you're going boring............send me that r-154, and i'll send you a A340E Automatic.hehehehehe

Ya, the r-154 should bolt right up

I've got a boat load of N/A parts. Hit me up if you need anything during the swap. I hate to see you do this kind of swap, but I can understand the need for transportation, and doing it on a limited budget.

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
Im about to replace my GE with another one, need something as a DD kinda for now, BUT I do have a GTE block and some accessories. I also carry a R154 on hand ready to use, should I throw it in with my next GE or pointless?

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
theflash083 said:
What would you need to change the dash cluster for? will it read bogus? and will the r154 tranny bolt straight to the new engine?

no need to change the whole cluster, just the tach. GE and GTE use very different ign setups, hence diff tachs.

the R154 w/the M bellhousing will bolt to any M block. don't forget to use all GTE clutch parts....

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
^^ this may be out of line questioning the good doctor, but i thought you had to use something from the w58 clutch setup, flywheel i think.

Last edited:

theflash083

Sep 3, 2006
ua
well ive seen a 1jz around my area for a decent price do you know if the r154 tranny will hook up to the 1jz?

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
foreverpsycotic said:
^^ this may be out of line questioning the good doctor, but i thought you had to use something from the w58 clutch setup, flywheel i think.

why? everything trans or clutch related should match the TRANS. as far as the trans is concerned, it's a 7M-GTE it's connected to....in short, all clutch/throwout related parts must match the TRANS. same applies if you were to use a R154 w/a J block....

theflash083

Sep 3, 2006
ua
foreverpsycotic said:
you need the bellhousing from the 1jz in order for it to work.
does this usually come with the engines that you buy of ebay? or do you need to make sure it comes with it?