Harmonic balancer......

bluedragon17

87 NA-T baby!!!
Sep 14, 2006
Vacaville, CA
Ok so does any company make an aftermarket one for those who have deleted there a/c?? Or is it possible to just cut that section of the pulley off to get rid of the ugly factor. I understand it was here for a purpose but im j/w as a side project while im waiting for my block to get back form the machine shop. Thanks all

Chris

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
OP

Harmonic balancer? No such thing in the MKIII supra.

What we have is crank dampner but that is it. ATI is cheaper than OEM new and is rebuildable. If you go to the junkyard and get one there. Remember. It is still at the least 16 year old ;)

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
92TealSupra;1144059 said:
Yes the ATI is the best choice for you. Don't get those OBX ones, you will run into problems.

ANY undampened crank pulley will tear apart your motor. This includes the OBX, Unorthodox, etc...

The ATI is the best for our cars. Get it, enjoy it, boost happy.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
shaeff;1144117 said:
ANY undampened crank pulley will tear apart your motor. This includes the OBX, Unorthodox, etc...

The ATI is the best for our cars. Get it, enjoy it, boost happy.

Very true! I don't even know why they sell those.. I guess if you had it balanced to those pulleys it would work, but why go through that trouble?

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
jdub;1144195 said:
Balancing a solid crank pulley is not going to help...it will not solve the problem you face using one.

Here's a good explanation as to why you don't want to use a solid crank pulley...they're using BMW engines as the example, but it applies to Supra engines as well:

http://www.atiperformanceproducts.com/products/dampers/damper_dinan.htm

Great source there, I read some of it and the damage one can cause if it's the lightened one. people truly think lighting a component is going to work better. It will for a given amount of time, until or crank eats your bearings, or your crank splits in half.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
92TealSupra;1144192 said:
Very true! I don't even know why they sell those.. I guess if you had it balanced to those pulleys it would work, but why go through that trouble?

because before. ATI was not an option..... I am going to say 2k6 issh???

I would hate to see the bill the person got to get that ball rolling!! :eek:

;)

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
figgie;1144228 said:
because before. ATI was not an option..... I am going to say 2k6 issh???

I would hate to see the bill the person got to get that ball rolling!! :eek:

;)

Yes. That would cost a decent amount of money. Lucky for people wanting to change the stock one, ATI does make one. I do not think I have seen another brand yet.

I can get one for my 2jz I am getting as well, they make them for a variety of different cars.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
92TealSupra;1144232 said:
Yes. That would cost a decent amount of money. Lucky for people wanting to chnage the stock one, ATI does make one. I do not think I have seen another brand yet.

I can get one for my 2jz I am getting as well, they make them for a variety of different cars.

Ian, Duane, Col. let this river flow!!! :)

92Teal

What do you think a rough guess on price was for that!!! Looks expensive!!! :eek:

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
92TealSupra;1144245 said:
You talking about the price of pulley,that is what I am getting from what you're saying, 460.00 shipped.

Hmm I think Suprarich has it for sub $400 but as always. It is best to ask him on current pricing.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
92TealSupra;1144245 said:
You talking about the price of pulley,that is what I am getting from what you're saying, 460.00 shipped.

Figgie was instrumental in having the 1st ATI Damper made for the 7M quite a while ago...his incorporated a crank trigger iirc. I have the drawing around here somewhere. ATI 7M Damper #1 cost significantly more than what they are now.

ATI took the resulting R&R and produced an off-the-shelf damper for the 7M ;)