harmonic balancer question/issue

7mLove

Addict
Nov 11, 2009
Barksdale AFB, Louisiana United States
As some of you know I have a nasty vibration in my drivetrain somewhere...yesterday I pulled the transmission out and I plan on taking the flywheels and pp to a machine shop to have it balanced to see if that's the issue. While I had the car on the lift I noticed a chip out of Ny crank pulley aka harnonic balancer (I think they are the sane from what ive read) could that chunk be the problem I'm having? For those who don't know the vibration is from like 2500 to 3k and does it weather its in gear or not its a stock flywheels and a southbend stage 2 clutch and pp. Any innfo would be awesome if you all need more info Ill be glad to respond. I cab have a pictures of the crank pulpy tomorrrow after work thanks in advanced...
chris

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
7mLove;1857372 said:
like enough to shake the shifter like a female toy like this thing is scary sometimes

Ya that's a big enough weight difference at thousands of rpm it'll shake the shit out of everything. I'd hurry and replace it before it causes problems to your rotating assembly

Sent From My HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
It doesn't sound to me like the pulley is the bulk of your problem. I would assume that the total material lost on your pulley would be less than 3-4 ounces, 6inches from the centerline of the crankshaft.
At 2500rpm, I think this would be a small vibration, not enough to make your shifter act like a powered dildo. As mentioned above, check your carrier bearing for freeplay. You said it happens in gear or out, but not if it happens both in motion and at a stop. If it happens any time the car is rolling, then check that bearing.

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
Well have thoroughly tested it? Let's say it does in a certain rpm range in all gears. Does it do it in neutral? Then there's an engine problem. But if it does it at only a speed range then its a drive train issue

Sent From My HTC One S using Tapatalk 2