Hardest and Easiest Cars to Work on

InvisibleMonkey

2JZ NO SPIT!
Sep 17, 2005
SNJ
So I'm at my friend's house checking my transmission fluid and he says, "fuck RWD cars and their long transmissions" (he has a VR-4 and a 2g eclipse, and his brother has an awd 1g talon and a VR-4). Then he talks about how our other friend's 300ZX is so hard to work on because there's no room to do anything. I also hear all the time from subaru and V6 owners "OMG your turbos must be so easy to swap out! They're just sitting right there! You should go single!" (although i know that removing the twins is a bitch...single turbo guys must have it REALLY easy)

so it got me thinking...what are the easiest and hardest cars to work on? I'm going to guess that the XJZ-GTE engines are easy because everything is right there (spark plugs, turbos, downpipes, etc.) but what about the cars themselves? including engines

03bamaGT

Sep 20, 2008
Bham
Hardest cars that I have worked on are the LSX F-Body's...The engine sits way far back under the dash almost. It is nearly impossible to change out 3 of the spark plugs. You have to have like 5 elbows on your ratchet.

Umm...the easiest would probably be my 2003 GT, plenty of room to work, tons of clearance.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
jz turbos are a bitch.

but DSM (the vr-4, and eclipses) are easiest to work on. everything is so simple to get too, routhing everything is super easy, and doing trans work takes hours not days... haha.

the new hondas, including my friends rsx-s is kind of a bitch... one is turbo now, and i have another with a supercharged 05 civic... those are both kinda hard to work on.

but if you want a real challenge... come work on my chevy venture... that thing is a total bitch. we had the dealer do the work to it cause it was that bad.

03bamaGT

Sep 20, 2008
Bham
Wait...I changed my mind on the hardest...My girlfriends Mini Cooper S is a PITA to work on. My hand won't fit anywhere. You open the hood and your like shit haha.

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
Hardest is 3000gt or 300zx tt's... If you have a friend with one you know what i am talking about.
Easiest car that i've worked on? A 1969 Chevy Bel Air.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I'm going with the 300zx tt as the worst I've had experience with. My brother is a 300zx guy and just checking his plugs is lots of work relative to the ol 7m or 2j.

Easiest...Not sure what year of truck it was, but it was a big'ol early 80's ford truck with a 460 in it. You could almost sit in there beside the motor while you worked on it, which seemed to be more often than we should have had to. Was a blast to drive too though.

03bamaGT

Sep 20, 2008
Bham
Yall need to check out what a MINI Cooper S looks like in the engine bay.

I have worked on some 300zx and they are a cake walk compared the Cooper S.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Most any modern FWD car with cab-forward design...

The engine is under the damn dash, dunno why they even have a hood, they could just have a small access panel to change the air cleaner and fluids cause that's all you can get to...

Also, a V engine in FWD format. WHO THE FUCK CAME UP WITH THAT DUMBASS IDEA?!?! Yeah, sure I can access half the engine fine, the other half is a complete nightmare!

03bamaGT

Sep 20, 2008
Bham
Thats kind of how the LSx engines are in the bay...half you can see, the other half never sees the light of day haha.

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
Another vote for the 300ZX as the hardest to work on. My friend and I went half and half on an engine hoist because of his 300ZX. I needed a rebuild, he needed to change his oil filter.;)

Easiest would be any pre-'90s Chevy. There are no parts that cannot be reached with ease.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
minus the starter and 2 spark plugs, the MKIII is pretty easy to work on, considering I'm skinny enough to lay on my back and still be able to fit under the front.........with the lip on..:D

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Everything is relative. Supras are pretty hard to work on compared to most Toyotas, but there are a lot of cars that are much harder to work on than Supras. I don't really find MR2's very hard to work on myself, it's actually a pretty simple setup for the most part.

I like working on my AE86 though.

Jeff