hard tops

strictlySupra

Dec 19, 2006
Canada
my car is jdm ... says 1986 on import papers and it came with a 7mgte and is a hardtop? it may have been a swapped motor though im not 100% sure

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
It will basically depend on the year, and what the local dealers saw more demand for.

I see a lot more turbo targas than I see turbo hard tops. I have not yet seen (that I know of) a Targa NA

My car was an NA from the factory and is, of course, a hardtop. My boss' wife had an '89 turbo hardtop.

The parts car that I got my turbo engine from was a targa though.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
I have a targa NA, 89 though. I have seen only 2 turbo HTs. Most turbo supras are targa....from what i see. And pre89 NAs are hardtop as the one i had preious was.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Like I said, I think it depends on what the dealers (And your domestic Toyota company) decided to import. I haven't seen a targa NA here, though I know it was on the option list from Toyota. I have seen an '89NA with the 3 piece spoiler though (Dealer installed 'option'), so maybe I've seen an NA with the spoiler and the targa top as well, but didn't realise that it was an NA. It's possible that Toyota Canada didn't import targa NAs, remember also the Canadian spec cars are different from USA spec.

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
i think turbo 5spd hard top's are more rare, but not more then a sun roof or moon roof.

i have a 88 n/a targa, auto. with a wing and 3rd brake light installed in the n/a location. yes no brake light on the wing, hold is drilled.

i also have a pearl white 87 turbo 5spd ht, car was made oct 86.r154 w/3.91lsd.

i think we should have started this as a poll question dont you?:biglaugh:

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
As far as I'm aware, only hardtops were sold in the UK. It's quite a shame as it seems like a really neat feature.

I'm not sure why the targa get a lot of flack here, I'd have one over a car with a sunroof anyday (I personally find them AWFUL myself).

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
With the targa top removed, there is significant body flex while driving. Steering precision is lost with targa removed.

Hardtop = Ultimate performance platform

Targa = I'd rather have my hair blow in the wind than have a fast, rigid car.

Personally, I take whatever is available, hardtop, targa, moonroof, as well as any color. Those kind of things don't phase me when buying a car.

Emik87t

GameOver
May 30, 2007
Iowa
Guess i'm on the search now too for the actual numbers, and i agree that hardtops are a better performance platform because my stock 88 targa shook like crazy on bumpy roads, and i dont have the water leak, but then again i like having the top off. Damned if you do, damned if you dont i guess. Interested to see who actually digs up the numbers though.