Gym reccomendations

savannahashlee

I AM A CHICK :)
Jan 15, 2008
PDX (Oregon)
I was hoping to join a gym in the next few weeks.. Most small gyms around here dont have pools.. Of the 2 "brand" gyms, 24 Hours Fitness and Ballys Total Fitness.. which one is better? Do you guys have experience with one of those gyms?

Thanks everyone!

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
savannahashlee;1401633 said:
I was hoping to join a gym in the next few weeks.. Most small gyms around here dont have pools.. Of the 2 "brand" gyms, 24 Hours Fitness and Ballys Total Fitness.. which one is better? Do you guys have experience with one of those gyms?

Thanks everyone!

ive never went neither but i have heard by 2 good friends not to go to ballys....I know inshapes good but are you looking for a 24 hour gym...?

savannahashlee

Jan 15, 2008
PDX (Oregon)
I would go in late morning, so 24 hours doesnt matter.. I do need a "kids area" for my son...

Mr.PFloyd;1401649 said:
why do you need a pool?

My doctor has cleared me to do walking through water, since there wont be too much weight bared on my back and knees..

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Mr.PFloyd;1401649 said:
why do you need a pool?

Too far to roll her back in the ocean? ;)
(sorry SA couldn't resist)

Static bike will be ok for your leg if you don't push too hard being a non weight bearing exercise.

Pool... ehhhh not a fan always ended up sick after using it but maybe that's just me and the pool here..

Most important is to actually use the membership you'd be surprised how many people I saw get a new membership be all gungho for a month then never come back.

I did 5 days a week for 10 years and only ever missed days for surgery.

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
I'd recommend getting on the stationary bike and put it in manual mode so you can control the resistance. I have bad knees, back, and shoulder. I can't run anymore but can be on the stationary bike without a problem as it is zero impact exercise. You really don't need the pool, trust me. Since you don't need a 24 hour gym, but do require a daycare for your son, I'd look for the cheapest gym with a daycare and adequite stationary bikes since that's what you'd be mainly using for the time being. The gym I go to doesn't have a pool, but it does have a daycare and it's actually the cheapest gym in the area.

savannahashlee

Jan 15, 2008
PDX (Oregon)
IJ.;1401671 said:

No, its only 100 miles to roll me to the ocean.. You'd only need a chain or wench for one small part, but as they say, shit rolls down hill, so you wouldnt need to do anything from that part on.. I'd roll right into the ocean..

I would love to do bicycle, but my knee grinding from no cartilage actually causes me pain..

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
IMO it's the staff and clientele that matter more than the rest. Talk to the people who run the place, talk to some of the clients, and chances are the decision will literally make itself for you.

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
IJ.;1401671 said:

Static bike will be ok for your leg if you don't push too hard being a non weight bearing exercise.

Pool... ehhhh not a fan always ended up sick after using it but maybe that's just me and the pool here..

Most important is to actually use the membership you'd be surprised how many people I saw get a new membership be all gungho for a month then never come back.

I did 5 days a week for 10 years and only ever missed days for surgery.
man you are exactly like me...
Pool makes me sick as well. As for the membership comment, i have tons of friends with memberships who don't go for shit, then comes beach season and they complain why they don't have the cut i do.
I am like no shit, lets see the amount of times you go vs me.

I usually hit it up 4 days a week myself, other day in the week is cardio or yoga.

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
Mr.PFloyd;1401750 said:
man you are exactly like me...
Pool makes me sick as well. As for the membership comment, i have tons of friends with memberships who don't go for shit, then comes beach season and they complain why they don't have the cut i do.
I am like no shit, lets see the amount of times you go vs me.

I usually hit it up 4 days a week myself, other day in the week is cardio or yoga.

Those pools are nasty i use to have a memebership to n shape a couple years back...I know a girl that works there she said they barely clean them once a week i thought thats pretty disgusting..I have a stationary bike and a bench and some dumb bells and thats enough for me..... :rofl:

LAYZORBEEMZ

JZX73 owner
Jun 28, 2009
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Personally I don't think the gym really matters, as long as the equipment works and you have the ambition to work out it's all good. But thats my own take on things, plus I don't wanna blow my money on a gym membership to a gym thats a little newer and has things irrelevant to physical exertion like suntan beds and sexy dance classes. But like you said you need a place to entertain your son so I guess you have to go with a gym that has something to entertain him with.

x10secondzx2

I love you.
Nov 25, 2007
Viera, Florida
www.myspace.com
If you are trying to lose weight then 99% of your effort is outside of the gym. If you eat shit food all day and then go to the gym for 3 hours you are not going to lose weight.

Eating better food is the best thing you can do as far as losing weight. You can eat healthy and never ever go to the gym and you WILL lose weight.
And eat earily. As soon as you get up. If you are hungry or not grab an apple or something healthy and eat it. It will start your metoblism and keep it going throughout the day. Don't grab a bag of Oreo's and chow down. Never eat meat or shit food within 4 hours or so of you going to bed. All what it is going to do is just chill in your stomach and turn to fat.

savannahashlee

Jan 15, 2008
PDX (Oregon)
Thank you guys for your wealth of knowledge..

X10, I actually do eat healthy. I've always had to couple eating healthy with some form of exercise. I also want to build my strength back too

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
x10secondzx2;1401817 said:
If you are trying to lose weight then 99% of your effort is outside of the gym. If you eat shit food all day and then go to the gym for 3 hours you are not going to lose weight.

Eating better food is the best thing you can do as far as losing weight. You can eat healthy and never ever go to the gym and you WILL lose weight.
And eat earily. As soon as you get up. If you are hungry or not grab an apple or something healthy and eat it. It will start your metoblism and keep it going throughout the day. Don't grab a bag of Oreo's and chow down. Never eat meat or shit food within 4 hours or so of you going to bed. All what it is going to do is just chill in your stomach and turn to fat.
This may work while you're still young, but there comes a time when you'll need both to keep it up. For 99% of the population, anyway - a buddy of mine just turned 42 and still has the metabolism of a teenager, the bastard.

romaniello

Oct 28, 2005
Sanford, FL
I tried Bally's and didn't like it, felt more like a pick-up bar than an actual gym. I go to the YMCA now, much better and it has the pool also.