Guys That repainted thier car: Window molding suggestions. replace, repaint?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I would buy the trim if the car is in good shape and you plan on keeping it for a while.

I bought the top rear piece brand new and it is very nice. I repainted my bottom rear piece and it leaks a little, but actually looks good.

Steve_N

Mar 31, 2005
Louisville KY
www.cardomain.com
ZoomZoomZoom;1339630 said:
Steve, I notice in your pic your front bumper is sagging. My car has the same issue. Are you going to fix it?

Never noticed that. Ill take a look & see what may have caused it. The Body shop that did my work removed the front & rear bumpers as well so I just may ask them for :1zhelp:.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
crap, wish I had read this long ago. I have none of the front window trim and always just had in my mind that I would pop over to my local dealer and buy new ones.

Had no idea they were so pricey.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
hey can we get some closer pictures of that updated windshield trim? is this something you can buy and do yourself?
right now i don't have any trim on the windshield because the top piece fell off and basically one piece holds another..
details please, undergoing trim crisis here! haha

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
ZoomZoomZoom;1339630 said:
Painting the trim did not go so well for me. The body shop did clean and prime the trim, but if it gets hit by a rock or scratched, you can see the white primer underneath. My trim was not peeling, so thats why I opted to paint them.

However, I am slowly going around the car and replacing the trim with new. The hatch is done and looks fabulous. I got the side drip trim for the targa top waiting to go on. I also did the side louvres because I lost one on the road.

I don't recommend painting, but, if it looks bad, it will help. My car is garage-kept, so replacing the trim is a worthwhile investment because I'm afraid they will stop offering it.

Steve, I'm definitely going to look into what you did for the windshield. Wish I had done it when I had the windshield replaced, but I really didn't know there was a third party option. Also, I notice in your pic your front bumper is sagging. My car has the same issue. Are you going to fix it?

Well put Tracy. I wish I would of kicked in the extra coin for new.

Sagging? Lol.

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
Steve_N;1339884 said:
Never noticed that. Ill take a look & see what may have caused it. The Body shop that did my work removed the front & rear bumpers as well so I just may ask them for :1zhelp:.

Please give us some updates. Have to put a window in the 92 and need to get going.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
im with poodles. i bought a used hatch from a junkyard with cracked window trim and i've got a bad leak now. gonna try to seal it up with either clear or black silicone and then give it a coat of paint

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
I know Rodel removed his front window trim for asthetics. Has anyone else done it? He has no leaks or regrets.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
Alec;1501054 said:
I know Rodel removed his front window trim for asthetics. Has anyone else done it? He has no leaks or regrets.

Got a picture of that?
mine are off and although its not intentional, they make wind noise.

The clips n shit are toast so I was thinking of using some strong trim adhesive and either securing the factory ones or finding a good aftermarket alternative.

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
theKnifeArtist;1501403 said:
Got a picture of that?
mine are off and although its not intentional, they make wind noise.

The clips n shit are toast so I was thinking of using some strong trim adhesive and either securing the factory ones or finding a good aftermarket alternative.
I asked him for more pics, but he said he doesn't have any recent ones. Rodel, take some up-close pics!

p1501415_1.jpg

p1501415_2.jpg

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
jugodegolf;1501049 said:
Please give us some updates. Have to put a window in the 92 and need to get going.

George, the window replacement guys will have a new type of trim that doesn't use the hooks. Phillip's said they are going to use it on his car as well when he replaces his windshield. It's about a half inch wide and will be brand new.

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
ForcedTorque;1501447 said:
Rodel's car is So sexy in pictures that I never even noticed that. But, I would bet my left jewel I'd notice it in person. In for close ups of that and the aftermarket.

Haha, I noticed it actually in the pics. He was surprised I noticed it.

TurboToy-R

Apr 30, 2007
Duncan BC
I just got home from a little trip to town after I put on my 2nd set of front windshield trim. Blew off again down the highway and smashed all over the road and then trampled by a dozen cars :: angry ::

Went to a local windshield place and they said that if I can get another set, they will use the Urathane or whatever glue to put the windshield in and they will use big globs of that to glue them in instead of trying to fight with the clips popping into the other clips

(so basicly cut out the clips in the body channel, make sure the butterfly clips are in the trim, set in the glue and then press the hole trim down in one shot and let the glue set)

Hopefully this works... I'll let you guys know.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I just had my windshield replaced on Friday, and I had them use the new-style trim as well.
Looks fantastic., and I imagine that due to the lack of a raised channel, there might be less wind noise from it too.
I will have to check that theory next time i'm on the highway.