Guys That repainted thier car: Window molding suggestions. replace, repaint?

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
For the guys that repainted their Cars:

Has Anyone peeled off the rubberized coating and just paint the moulding and not have problems leaking?
What did you guys do with your rubberized coated window mouldings? Did you guys just repaint them or did you just buy new ones?

You can really repaint the rubber, won't the paint just peel off? You can't peel the rubberized coating off, the window will leak.

Holy hell, they are about $75.00 per piece. I can see why Supra Owners are cheap, I'll admit $75.00 a pop, I'm cheap. That's $800 dollors for all of them.
I guess don't be cheap ass.

Last edited:

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
Would say it's a tough call as not knowing the shape of the rest of the car.

what is overall goal? Show quality? Daily driver?

I wish I would of gone with new. Repainted mine. Doesn't look bad, but not perfect like on the 92.

$800 bones is alot if the car still needs other stuff. Hope that helps. Would suggest either Back to Black, Forever Black or Black Wow (last 2 haven't personally tried, will vouch for first)

I just touched up the corners on the 89. Not show quality but will do.
p1338918_1.jpg

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Mine have had a bunch of the stuff peel/flake off the back mouldings. That's just there for looks and should not leak into the cabin because of it.

I am planning to remove mine and prep/paint. Awhile back, I read a few articles on doing them right. Once I get to the point where I'm ready to do it, I'll find the instructions. Just painting them will not work and they'll chip again and look terrible.

I did not know they were $800 for new ones, but that certainly makes sure that it's worth trying to repaint for me.

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Satan;1338981 said:
Mine have had a bunch of the stuff peel/flake off the back mouldings. That's just there for looks and should not leak into the cabin because of it.

I am planning to remove mine and prep/paint. Awhile back, I read a few articles on doing them right. Once I get to the point where I'm ready to do it, I'll find the instructions. Just painting them will not work and they'll chip again and look terrible.

I did not know they were $800 for new ones, but that certainly makes sure that it's worth trying to repaint for me.

My quote was $1200....and I thought I had good connections.:3d_frown:

Doward;1338982 said:
I'm going to powdercoat mine and jugo's :)

fixed that for you.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
all my trim pieces came off for paint.
only 80% went back on and stayed there.
and a lot of them that went on don't fit 100% and it irritates the hell out of me whenever i look at the thing.
i've been meaning to take care of it, but i really dont wanna fuck with that damned bullshit.
whew.
should of never taken 'em off.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
theKnifeArtist;1339322 said:
all my trim pieces came off for paint.
only 80% went back on and stayed there.
and a lot of them that went on don't fit 100% and it irritates the hell out of me whenever i look at the thing.
i've been meaning to take care of it, but i really dont wanna fuck with that damned bullshit.
whew.
should of never taken 'em off.

X2 my rear quarter window trims are all fucked up, and i lost all my windshield trim on the highway lol

Steve_N

Mar 31, 2005
Louisville KY
www.cardomain.com
When my Supra was undergoing paint & body work I got some front window trim thats in real good shape to replace the old stuff. For the body work & paint the front windshield was removed & replaced. The shops owner talked me out of using it & into using newer type of trim. Glad he did cause it turned out great! I'm sure your local body/Auto glass shop could do the same. I'm sure it will only work on the windshield but haven't needed hatch trim yet. Here are some pics.

p1339451_1.jpg

p1339451_2.jpg

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
jugodegolf;1338918 said:
Would say it's a tough call as not knowing the shape of the rest of the car.

what is overall goal? Show quality? Daily driver?

I wish I would of gone with new. Repainted mine. Doesn't look bad, but not perfect like on the 92.

$800 bones is alot if the car still needs other stuff. Hope that helps. Would suggest either Back to Black, Forever Black or Black Wow (last 2 haven't personally tried, will vouch for first)

I just touched up the corners on the 89. Not show quality but will do.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

My goals: A neat, clean, tight, street machine. It's daily driverish ecxept for work. No, it's not a show car. Car doesn't rust, but the body is straight. I'm gonna paint it.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
I did not know they were $800 for new ones, but that certainly makes sure that it's worth trying to repaint for me

I called J Marks Toyota, they told me it was $79.00 just for the top rear mouldings, and that's the most expensive moulding, the rest is in that price range.

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Doward;1339341 said:
LOL - Jugo, send them down. I've got a pound of 20% gloss black here ;)

John pm'd you.

Poodles;1339342 said:
If they weren't meant to seal, they wouldn't have been rubber coated with a seal molded in ;)

Good point!

Steve_N;1339451 said:
When my Supra was undergoing paint & body work I got some front window trim thats in real good shape to replace the old stuff. For the body work & paint the front windshield was removed & replaced. The shops owner talked me out of using it & into using newer type of trim. Glad he did cause it turned out great! I'm sure your local body/Auto glass shop could do the same. I'm sure it will only work on the windshield but haven't needed hatch trim yet. Here are some pics.

If/when you have time could you get closeup of this.

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
Painting the trim did not go so well for me. The body shop did clean and prime the trim, but if it gets hit by a rock or scratched, you can see the white primer underneath. My trim was not peeling, so thats why I opted to paint them.

However, I am slowly going around the car and replacing the trim with new. The hatch is done and looks fabulous. I got the side drip trim for the targa top waiting to go on. I also did the side louvres because I lost one on the road.

I don't recommend painting, but, if it looks bad, it will help. My car is garage-kept, so replacing the trim is a worthwhile investment because I'm afraid they will stop offering it.

Steve, I'm definitely going to look into what you did for the windshield. Wish I had done it when I had the windshield replaced, but I really didn't know there was a third party option. Also, I notice in your pic your front bumper is sagging. My car has the same issue. Are you going to fix it?

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
I'm planning on powdercoating them too, I am thinking of going with 50% gloss black after seeing duanes and what they look like new. I am also going to seal it with a bead of silicon so it will act as it did new. I might op for new ones down the road when the car gets new paint and Im out of school.