GUIDE : Calibrating TPS (Throttle Position Sensor)

JSeaman

SM Official Expert: Guide Author
SM Expert
May 26, 2009
Derbyshire, UK
The throttle position sensor can make a massive difference to the way your car performs. If it is out of calibration you may find you can't set the timing up prpoerly and it will change throttle response significantly. It's a bit of a pain to set up but well worth it in my opiniong (Having driven a car with a poorly adjusted TPS and reaped the rewards of fixing it!)

Step 1 - fOllow the guide for removing the PCV system (Note in the pictures the cam covers have been removed but you don't need to. Also follow steps 2 and 3 in the cam cover guide

Step 2 - Look inside the throttle body to see if there is a black buil up of carbon deposits (If so, you should use carb cleaner to flush it out - I'd remove the throttle body to do it properly but it's up to you)

p1329274_1.jpg

Step 3 - You should check thet the throttle stop (The little screw bit) is in contact with the throttle lever (The springy bit that gets pulled when you press the accelerator) when the accelerator is released. Note that I am moving the two apart so you can see which two bits I mean

p1329274_2.jpg

Step 4 - Disconnect the connector to the Throttle Position Sensor

p1329274_3.jpg

Step 5 - The 4 connections you see here for the TPS are E2, IDL, VTA and VC. You use the electrical resistance between these 4 pins to set up the sensor

p1329274_4.jpg

Step 6 - Insert a feeler gauge between the throttle stop and lever (as in step 3) and measure the resistance* as shown below :

p1329274_5.jpg

NOTE : These are for a 7MGTE, see the TSRM for a 7MGE

With no feeler gauge fitted you should find between 0.2 and 1.2 Kilo ohms of resistance between VTA and E2

With a feeler gauge of 0.5mm inserted between the stop and lever you should measure a resistance of 2.3 kilo ohms between IDL and E2

With a feeler gauge of 0.9mm inserted between the stop and lever you should measure an inifinite resistance (Shown as a 1 for no continuity on your meter) between IDL and E2

Finally, with the throttle fully open you should have 3.5-10.3 kilo ohms between VTA and E2 as well as 4.25 - 8.25 kilo ohms between VC and E2

If you don't comply to these then you need to calibrate your TPS

*To measure the resistance you will need a bog standard multimeter. Switch it to "ohms" to measure resistance - this is the one that is like a circle but has two flats at the bottom

Step 7 - If you need to calibrate the throttle body then it needs to be removed from the car (you can't get to the bottom screw of the TPS without removing other components). Start by undoing the 4 bolts holding the throttle body to the inlet plenum

p1329274_6.jpg

Step 8 - If you ease the throttle body away from the plenum you will find there are two water bypass hoses attached to it

p1329274_7.jpg

Step 9 - Remove the hoses shown on the left in picture 8 from the other end (by the VSV) as shown in the first picture. The second hose is removed directly from the throttle body (a bit fiddly but use a monkey wrench to expand the clip then work it down the pipe) as shown in the second picture

p1329274_8.jpg

p1329274_9.jpg

Step 10 - Remove the throttle body and take it somewhere warm to work (assuming it's thrashing it down with rain like when I did mine!)

p1329274_10.jpg

JSeaman

SM Expert
May 26, 2009
Derbyshire, UK
Step 11 - Loosten but don't remove the two screws to the TPS so you can move it about

p1329278_1.jpg

Step 12 - Insert a 0.7mm (for the 7MGTE, use 0.58 for 7MGE) feeler gauge between the throttle stop and lever then connect to terminals E2 and IDL .You need to turn the TPS fully anti clockwise until you get a 1 (for infinite resistance) then slowly turn it back until it 'deflects' i.e. you get a reading of resistance on your voltmeter. Now tighten the screws up and check you didn't disturb it by tightening them

p1329278_2.jpg

Step 13 - For information, here's what you find if you take the screws all the way out. The TPS is connected to the butterfly valve via this gold piece of metal and it moves a spring loaded receptor in the black plastic cap.

p1329278_3.jpg

Step 14 - Get busy with some carb cleaner and a tooth brush (or similar)

p1329278_4.jpg

Step 15 - Take your freshly calibrated throttle body back out and refit it to the car. If it's anything like mine then you will have a significantly better throttle response to what you are used to

p1329278_5.jpg

Step 16 - Just an additional note, the throttle body should be torqued up to 9 ft/lbs

p1329278_6.jpg

JSeaman

SM Expert
May 26, 2009
Derbyshire, UK
Question

are the connections you mention (E2 IDL VTA and V2) going from bottom to top? if i use your settings with E2 being the bottom one, i can get a match , but not if its the top. I have a auto 1990 turbo.

Answer

Yes!

89nasupra

Sugar, Water, Purple
Apr 8, 2008
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
Question,

My idle screw looks like some one chewed on it. Not sure if it is still in the specs it needs to be. Is there a way to readjust this screw back to factory specs for proper function or is the re calibration take care of all that?