Gran Turismo 5, anyone?

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
clutch kick drifting ftw

i love my g25 wheel, especially the gas pedal. with the controller i had to have traction control turned on, but with the pedal i can actually modulate power like in real life.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Now I'm excited... gonna check the garage as soon as I get home, see if I can build something to build a frame for the G27. :D

87mk111

Metal Head
Sep 29, 2009
akron/canton, ohio
arknotts;1646405 said:
Same here. They sell pre-built frames with a seat that you can mount the wheel and pedals on, but they are all at least $100+. Figured I could make my own out of 2x4s or welding a steel frame. Plus I think it'd be cool to have the shifter at seat-level rather than right by the wheel to be more realistic.

All this talk has made me look at some PC sims too. I love how much better this (MKIV) supra sounds in rFactor than it does in GT5 :drool:

[video=youtube;qfYRh4nJMEo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfYRh4nJMEo[/video]

Building he frame for the seat will be easy, but I dunno how Im gonna build something for the wheel to mount to. Guess Ill have to try drawing out a few different ideas.

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
87mk111;1648635 said:
Building he frame for the seat will be easy, but I dunno how Im gonna build something for the wheel to mount to. Guess Ill have to try drawing out a few different ideas.

Yeah I still have to come up with some plans for mine.

If anyone is looking for a G27, Logitech.com now has them in stock:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/wheels/devices/5184

Ordered mine from there, and it should be here tomorrow! It's still the $299 retail price, but it's not the ridiculous over-inflated price some other companies are charging because of the low stock. Wish I could have caught it on sale a while back, but I doubt the price will go down for a while now due to GT5...

Kangae

Buzzin' Half Dozen
Sep 13, 2007
Utica, New York
Anyone else blown away by how bad the bspec driver is? I've tried everything, keeping him cool, hot, in the middle, telling him to overtake, but he doesn't seem to be able to pass stock supercars at daytona superspeedway in a 1000hp viper acr. Now I love this ACR, it'll do 200 easy around any corner at daytona, but he slows down to 140 for all the turns, even the one at the start/finish. He's lvl 12, a lvl higher than he needs to be for this event.

Another thing he does is he doesn't pass a slower car ever, he slows down behind them, waits, then goes for a pass, even on the back straight, its driving me nuts!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
ya, ive pretty much given up on bspec, the AI is horrible.

same goes for the regular AI. I gave up on trying to win a few races, i spun out, and as soon as i get back on the road, i get hit by EVERY AI car.... all 11 of them.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Kangae;1649771 said:
Anyone else blown away by how bad the bspec driver is? I've tried everything, keeping him cool, hot, in the middle, telling him to overtake, but he doesn't seem to be able to pass stock supercars at daytona superspeedway in a 1000hp viper acr. Now I love this ACR, it'll do 200 easy around any corner at daytona, but he slows down to 140 for all the turns, even the one at the start/finish. He's lvl 12, a lvl higher than he needs to be for this event.

Another thing he does is he doesn't pass a slower car ever, he slows down behind them, waits, then goes for a pass, even on the back straight, its driving me nuts!

B(ored)-spec? Haven't even tried it since GT4. Never seemed to have a problem there? Perhaps they've updated it a bit...

SuprA70

SF.com 'Grounded' Champ
I've been levelling up both a-spec (lvl 25) and b-spec (lvl 24), and gotten my primary driver to around 81% win ratio. Only races left to gold for both are the Formula GT and Dream Car Championship... and finally Endurance races :yikes:

It's pretty easy once you figure it out. Find a car that has a really good power-to-weight ratio for the event you're competing in and make sure you're at least the lightest (or close to) of the recommended cars, as well as decent power. Make sure to run the highest recommended tires for the event too. It's never a good idea to go with the most hp you can get in a race when the recommended tires are Comfort Soft :nono:

What I've been doing is setting up my cars per the restrictions in b-spec, and if I can win with the same setup in a-spec, my b-spec driver can pretty much do the same. Only trouble I've had were with the NASCAR Indy race (pretty much dependent on luck and placement) in Extreme Series and Like The Wind (I had to beat this first in a-spec using the Veyron at Daytona and the Furai at Indy. Once I got the Toyota Minolta LMP, my b-spec won it with ease.

I'm enjoying b-spec a lot. One of the things the GT series does so well is the camera work during races and for me it's always a treat watching a competent AI driver run a clean lap/race with my car of choice. If anything it's gotten me double the prize cars and prize tickets so far.

Kangae

Buzzin' Half Dozen
Sep 13, 2007
Utica, New York
I'm not having the same luck with my bspec driver, I've tried a few times to see if the cars I was giving him would win the races, so id use the same exact car with the same everything in the aspec version of the race and in one instance I finished over 20 seconds ahead of the second place car in a three lap race, but my bspec driver couldn't manage better than third in 8 tries.

And it all comes down to the fact that my bspec driver won't pass, in fact if he goes 2 wide into a turn and he's on the inside, he slows down to let the guy on the outside infront of him.

And even one time when the car in front of him spun out, he slowed down to almost a complete stop until the guy infront of him go it together, and then he lost two places.

SuprA70

SF.com 'Grounded' Champ
Your driver's beginning stats will determine how aggressive they perform as well as how they ultimately develop. Their condition prior to the race will also play a factor in their performance. Then there's car choice and setup. If you can gain an early lead, you can pace your driver down just enough to where he will drive near flawlessly while still keeping the foot to the floor.

Which race are you having trouble with?

Kangae

Buzzin' Half Dozen
Sep 13, 2007
Utica, New York
Well one race he can't win is the deep forest race in the FF race, even now, I've given him a lightened and only slightly more powerful ae111 (I think that's the one, you know the late 90s trueno) or the spoon civic type r, but he won't pass a vibe gt. The other race he's having trouble with is the supercar race at daytona in pro league. I mean he drives so slow there he gets rammed by the other cars because he slows down for the start/finish line turn.

And I'm not having trouble with him crashing or spinning out, I'm just having trouble with him driving maddeningly slow, no matter where his meter is or what I tell him to do.

Even on races where he does get an early lead and can drive without issues from traffic, he's still much slower than me. Whenever I compare his lap times to my lap times using the same setup, I'm usually several seconds faster at least, and yes that includes the same tires. Oh and he brakes way early.

SuprA70

SF.com 'Grounded' Champ
Kangae;1650663 said:
Well one race he can't win is the deep forest race in the FF race, even now, I've given him a lightened and only slightly more powerful ae111 (I think that's the one, you know the late 90s trueno) or the spoon civic type r, but he won't pass a vibe gt. The other race he's having trouble with is the supercar race at daytona in pro league. I mean he drives so slow there he gets rammed by the other cars because he slows down for the start/finish line turn.

And I'm not having trouble with him crashing or spinning out, I'm just having trouble with him driving maddeningly slow, no matter where his meter is or what I tell him to do.

Even on races where he does get an early lead and can drive without issues from traffic, he's still much slower than me. Whenever I compare his lap times to my lap times using the same setup, I'm usually several seconds faster at least, and yes that includes the same tires. Oh and he brakes way early.

When I did that race I gave my driver the MUGEN Civic race car and he pretty much ruled the field.
1646063-03__honda_mugen_motul_civic_si_race_car__87_super.jpg

He should be able to take the lead during the first lap.

As far as initial stats, I chose one that was about halfway towards the Cool attribute. I would just issue Overtake commands and then Pace Down after taking the lead, but keeping the pace halfway in the red with Maintain Pace. That's pretty much enough to win.

suprarx7nut;1650685 said:
How is the mechanical damage since the update? I'm very intrigued. I guess you have to be past level 40 for full damage..

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

I briefly tried the mechanical damage when I created a room online. So far just crashing, depending on where the impact occurs affects handling and steering. Doing pit stops resets mechanical damage only and not cosmetic.

The other sim aspects like tire wear and fuel consumption by default, affects b-spec races beginning in Extreme Series. Doesn't occur until the Endurance Series in a-spec.

Last edited:

Kangae

Buzzin' Half Dozen
Sep 13, 2007
Utica, New York
There's just one problem, and I believe I've mentioned it before, he doesn't overtake when I issue the overtake command, ever. I've never once had him overtake from me using that command. I also keep him at right around the middle, because he does make many mistakes if he gets too hot.

My driver is halfway in between cool and the middle in terms of his personality. And on a side note, when he does manage to get to the front of the field, I have to keep telling him to pace up because he will just continue to slow down until the rest of the field catches him if I don't, no matter the speed of the car.

To be honest, the only time my bspec driver has won any races is when I give him a car that far outclasses the competition, and even then, if there are no clear and obvious passing locations (like straights) he won't pass despite going faster. He'll constantly use the brakes to not pass other cars.

Also, I almost feel like you're condescending to me, but I could just be tired, so sorry if I read too much into it.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
For people having issues with B spec there was a big debate on another forum. It boiled down to not putting a low level ranked driver in a super car. You can't expect a low skill driver to handle a 1000hp car in any condition.

Has anyone seen this controller? Looks interesting but not sure if I am willing to dump that much on an experimental controller.

Also, I haven't played in a while being Christmas and working at UPS affords no free time.... I downloaded the update but do you have to enable damage or is it only usable in online races?