Got handed by a Hemi Dodge Charger.

caballo

Aug 2, 2008
So Cal
I had just finished doing an oil change for my 91 bone stock turbo when I decided to hit the gym. Car seemed smoother now that it was using 0w-30 Castrol oil.. Anyway after a good long workout I left the gym.

When I got in my car I decided to drive sans the targa top, had the instrument panel for the dashboard switched off, and had my windows rolled all the way down. So as I drove away from the gym a black charger is tailgating me. The driver ended up passing me. The charger sounded nice and loud and had a hemi v8. So I ignored him and just kept driving until I had to make a left so I can enter the freeway. When I was slowly approaching the intersection to make the left to the freeway, the traffic lights were red and we both came to a stop. Then the lights immediately turn green and we make a left turn to enter the beginning of the freeway. Freeway was nice and empty..

Now at this point I had no intention on racing the guy so I shift to first and second like I normally would. But then the guy floors it and I decide to follow him just to have some fun. So I floor the gas, I couldn’t see the rpm gauge because I had the light control off so I shifted to third without knowing what rpm I was on. At this point the charger had the lead. I shifted to 4th gear, he’s still ahead of me, shifted to 5th and still way ahead of me. Then he hit the brakes. I say I got handed by the charger. Damn hemis are fast..

Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
loser.jpg
;)

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
caballo said:
...had the instrument panel for the dashboard switched off...

I'm left feeling "Why" anf "WTF" on this one...

Anyways, modern cars just om nom older stock cars, even if they were good stuff in their day. Just a whole new breed out there now.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
caballo;1760637 said:
A Charger.

It's just you said Challenger and then Charger, got me confused..:D

Yeah, new cars are too damn efficent at making power, Camrys and Accords are 25 hp away from having 300. To put it in persepective the MKIV had 320 hp out of a 3.0, with twin turbos. These things are 3.5L V6's, which in older GMs used to make what, 87 hp?

caballo

Aug 2, 2008
So Cal
toyotanos;1760642 said:
I'm left feeling "Why" anf "WTF" on this one...
Half of the gauges bulbs don't work anymore. So I figured I might as well have them all turned off until I have new bulbs installed.

btw I occasionally flash a flash light to see how the temp gauge is doing lol

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
toyotanos;1760642 said:
Anyways, modern cars just om nom older stock cars, even if they were good stuff in their day. Just a whole new breed out there now.

This is true. I still remember when my friend tried playing with a new (at the time) Altima with the 3.5L in his 94 (93?) Prelude Vtak. His car was quick, but I told him he'd get smoked. Needless to say, I was right. Sad that these days, if your new vehicle doesn't run at least a low 15 second 1/4 mile, it's probably a bus. :p

Nice try though, can't be mad about a stock 230hp car being outrun by a 345+hp car any day of the week. ;)

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
And saying that the 230hp we made stock was at least 130k miles ago and also not wheel horsepower but rest assured a few modern parts for your car and you'll be ripping those chargers new ones :) trust me.

My buddy has a 06 srt-8 with just straight pipes
When my car was on 13lbs and we went from a 35mph he jumps about half a car to 60 but once I get in third I'm a car ahead by 90.

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
Turbo Habanero;1760706 said:
And saying that the 230hp we made stock was at least 130k miles ago and also not wheel horsepower but rest assured a few modern parts for your car and you'll be ripping those chargers new ones :) trust me.

My buddy has a 06 srt-8 with just straight pipes
When my car was on 13lbs and we went from a 35mph he jumps about half a car to 60 but once I get in third I'm a car ahead by 90.

Yup...a few mods, you'll be pulling on SRT8's no problem. I havn't raced one that's givin me a problem. Before the JT62, I had a 50 trim ct26 and I had no problem keeping up then either.

92ma71

Jun 13, 2011
Fairbanks, AK
Yeah considering your stock its okay. Just think about how much he paid for his car VS how much you payed for yours. That is what I always do.

Anyways with a few mods you would have got him. My mods list is below and I hand v8 chargers there own ass all the time.

The only one that got me was a buddy of mine with the daytona edition with a programmer on it and he got me.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
92ma71;1760782 said:
Yeah considering your stock its okay. Just think about how much he paid for his car VS how much you payed for yours. That is what I always do.

Anyways with a few mods you would have got him. My mods list is below and I hand v8 chargers there own ass all the time.

The only one that got me was a buddy of mine with the daytona edition with a programmer on it and he got me.

Why? The MKIII was atleast $40,000 fully loaded when they came out, adjust for inflation and the MKIII is the over-priced one.

tomsupra8683

82gts7mgte
Mar 31, 2007
puyallup
Ive got about 2000$ into my 7mgte celica and i kill the chargers and chanellgers all the time and man they get pissed.They just dont understand why a rust bucket from the early 80's just smoked them.A couple bolt on mods for your car and they dont have much on you at all.

tomsupra8683

82gts7mgte
Mar 31, 2007
puyallup
you would think they had figured out how to make cars under 4000lbs by now lol.its not like the 50s-60s where they used 1/8th inch thick steel for panels but then again they need 6 liters to produce 345hp.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
tomsupra8683;1760978 said:
you would think they had figured out how to make cars under 4000lbs by now lol.its not like the 50s-60s where they used 1/8th inch thick steel for panels but then again they need 6 liters to produce 345hp.
Blame the NTHSA... and 345hp isn't terrible for an NA. Not spectacular, but not terrible either. Like Poodles mentioned, the transmissions in those cars is what kills the fun. Give them a proper manual and some 4.xx gears, and re-try Dodge. ;)

RazoE;1760783 said:
Why? The MKIII was atleast $40,000 fully loaded when they came out, adjust for inflation and the MKIII is the over-priced one.
I think you might be a bit high on those price figures sir. All of my Mk3's have had factory stickers of ~25-30k, or about what an average Camry costs these days. :aigo:

92ma71

Jun 13, 2011
Fairbanks, AK
RazoE;1760783 said:

Yeah that price is a little off. My dad bought one brand new off the showroom floor in 1989 for like 27,000. Yes that was a little pricey back then but when I said what I said I was talking about price of how much you pay for an MKIII today vs. a charger or challenger today. I was talking about actual cost.