googooflexy's 88 supra turbo targa

googooflexy

Feb 14, 2008
Rock Hill, SC
www.cardomain.com
1988 Supra Turbo Targa

p1026540_1.jpg

p1026540_2.jpg

Just bought this the 14th of May for 2,000 dollars. Runs great...minor problems such as no heater, e-brake, glovebox...etc...lol. No biggie.

So far, the list of things to do are:

• Fix some minor body damage EDIT: NOT MINOR!!!
  • Repaint
  • Replace missing interior parts
  • Fix leak in targa
  • Fix e-brake
  • New wheels
  • FFIM setup
  • Fix heater

Like I said, it runs like a top other than that. It's the fastest car I've ever driven. (Until it broke down)

The upgrades that came with the car are a new BOV, hardpipes, full 3" exhaust, and boost guage(set at 10 psi) among other things.

EDIT:
I'm going to be including in this first post all of my purchases and prices.
So...

1988 Supra Turbo Targa 2,000

7M-GTE Rebuilt Longblock (0 miles), .020 over, ARP studs. 1,700

Wiring Harness 150

Walbro 255 90

Last edited:

googooflexy

Feb 14, 2008
Rock Hill, SC
www.cardomain.com
As of right now, it doesn't want to start. I've had to push it off a few times. When I turn the ignition, nothing at all happens. I hope that just means it has a dead battery. The battery light is on as well. I'm going to take it to Autozone at some point and get them to test the battery and alternator.

MORE PICS!
66682847yo8.jpg

12015133dd2.jpg

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Looks like you have good platform to start from. Also looks like you need the mounting bracket for the power steering reservoir. If you need on I have one i can part with for cheap.

googooflexy

Feb 14, 2008
Rock Hill, SC
www.cardomain.com
Currently the car isn't running because of a possible problem with the CPS or the wiring surrounding it. When I go to start the car, the starter spins and the engine turns, but the engine doesn't start. Every once in a while, when I mess around under the hood jiggling the wires around, it will start right up. This irks me to no end and I don't want to spend too much money if I don't have to.

So...I do have a FEW bucks to spend.
Not sure what to get...I'd like to get a new fuel pump...but the pressing issue currently is the car not starting.

googooflexy

Feb 14, 2008
Rock Hill, SC
www.cardomain.com
makaveli913;1063985 said:
damn thats a nice 88

Thnx d00d....she's got some work ahead but I'm making some progress.

I just saudered new wires outside the CPS because of a starting problem. The check engine light doesn't come on anymore, which is a good sign. I also replaced a couple nuts that attach the turbo to the downpipe (one was straight up missing) cuz there was an exhaust leak. I noticed a HUGE performance difference and it sounds tons better now. And today I just got a Walbro fuel pump in the mail, so that will be going on later today.

Pics of this coming in a couple days.

EDIT:
I'm going to be installing an electric fan from a camaro in a couple days. Pics soon from that as well.

EDIT X2: NOT
I thought about it more and i'd rather not go ghetto-fabulous on this car. I wanna do it right so im just gonna get a fan thats made for the car.

Last edited:

googooflexy

Feb 14, 2008
Rock Hill, SC
www.cardomain.com
Ok...
So I've been working alot lately and haven't had much time to do anything with the car, but I have been driving it alot. But recently, I've been having some clutch problems...

It started a couple days ago and its slowly been getting worse. The clutch isn't slipping, but it's engaging closer and closer to the floorboard (if that makes any sense). Now, when I let out the clutch in first gear, it engages at about a centimeter or two from the floorboard, whereas it used to engage at like 3 inches.
I'm afraid that eventually the clutch is just gonna stay in contact with the flywheel and the pedal just not do anything at all...which would of course be bad.

Is there a fluid reservoir that needs to be refilled or something for the hydraulics on the clutch?? I've just never encountered this before with a car...so input would be nice.

buckshotglass

I love all your sounds.

googooflexy

Feb 14, 2008
Rock Hill, SC
www.cardomain.com
buckshotglass;1102819 said:
Open the hood. Look to the right of the brake booster, the clutch fluid tank is right there.
But first, go here...
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=CL&P=1

you the man.
this comes just in time...my car now wont go into gear cuz the pedal wont even bring the clutch away from the flywheel now.
thnx

EDIT: Took an extensive look at it and results were:
The clutch adjustment screw and rod on the pedal assembly had too much play in it. One of the screws got loose and decided to adjust itself. The brake fluid in the clutch reservoir was pretty low though...so it's good that my attention was directed to that anyway. So, problem solved!

EDIT X2: I also replaced the spark plugs today...and I got the tires replaced a couple days ago. So, things are starting to come together pretty good i suppose...

Last edited:

googooflexy

Feb 14, 2008
Rock Hill, SC
www.cardomain.com
Ok, so...

I was on the interstate a couple weeks ago, and my engine let go on me. It started losing power and a couple seconds later, it "popped". I towed it back to the house but I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. Me and a buddy are gonna tear it apart in a couple days to see whats up.
Right now, when I try to start it, it just goes "CHUNK!". So...I don't think BHG is a plausible theory here.

This is unfortunate, but it does give me an excuse to do a complete overhaul. Funds are short right now, but I'll do the cheap things first I suppose. I'll pull the engine, sand the body's rough spots on the paint and fill the dents...and primer them. I'm gonna be replacing the front bumper and nose panel due to damage...I was thinking a Greddy bumper.

It's taking great fortitude for me to continue this project and not just give in and part it out...I'm almost ashamed, but I almost bought a Camaro the other day:3d_frown: It's just that it's sad to me that I have 2 non-running supras and a 400 hp V8 sitting, not doing anything. But I'll stick with it i guess...

googooflexy

Feb 14, 2008
Rock Hill, SC
www.cardomain.com
Things I'm in the market for right now:

A 7M long block

A FFIM

I'm actually thinkin bout takin out a student loan and blowing it all on parts i need...A buddy gave me the idea a few days ago. I don't have any student loans right now because my parents saved when I was a kid and are payin for college for me (planning ahead FTW!!). I could easily get like $5,000 for a student loan...that would get me on the road.
Someone smack some sense into me if that's a stupid idea.

googooflexy

Feb 14, 2008
Rock Hill, SC
www.cardomain.com
Not really a supra...but it still sucks.
This is likely to set me back a bit getting the supra done...

The story:
I was going down a 2 lane and I was coming up to an intersection (it was a green light). I was going to go straight through the intersection, but some guy in the oncoming lane turned left in front of me. I hit him on his passenger's side at like 35 or 40mph lol...it was pretty rough (I've had worse...). He was fine...I was fine.

Long story shortened...It was his fault.
...doesn't make me feel much better bout it tho...

googooflexy

Feb 14, 2008
Rock Hill, SC
www.cardomain.com
It seems as though I'll have my supra back sooner than I thought...The other guy's insurance company is givin me hell about the truck having a salvage title and theyre sayin that they arent going to pay to fix it. BUT...they have offered me $2,250 AND let me keep the vehicle (in other words NOT sell it to them). This is tons more than what the truck was worth even when it looked good. It has 270,000 miles on it.

So...I'll likely be taking this offer. Plus I'll have $800 soon from a friend who bought an engine from me. So, hopefully soon, I'll have around $3,000 to fix whatever's wrong with the supra.

The question I have is:
What would any of you do with $3,000 towards your supra if you were in my position? ...Supposing that I threw a rod like I suspect I did. I still have to check when I get back into town.
This will be my first build on a supra and I just wanted some professional insight.

Thanks

googooflexy

Feb 14, 2008
Rock Hill, SC
www.cardomain.com
I'll answer my own question i suppose.

I'm going to get a JDM 7M...regardless of the stigma that comes with buying one. I'll retorque the head onto ARP studs, and throw on a metal HKS HG. That should take somewhere around $2,000-ish if I'm not mistaken. Perhaps less. That leaves about 1k. I wanted to convert to a ffim setup, but that may have to wait for 1k more because I don't wanna cheap out on the IC.

comments?

EDIT: JDM engine = fail for me. Just bought a rebuilt engine off of a SM member.

Last edited:

googooflexy

Feb 14, 2008
Rock Hill, SC
www.cardomain.com
My car has cancer.

I knew there was rust on the right rear wheelwell, but I didn't know it was this bad.

Whoever tried to fix this rust problem tried to do so with ALOT of bondo. I had to get an orbital sander out just to get through all the filler.

PICS

Cancer
57178640ue9.jpg

15046188st0.jpg

56042554na6.jpg

60518095sx1.jpg

I made sure to hit it up with a rust blocking primer so it doesn't get any worse.
55413048xz7.jpg

What does one do about this? This obviously isn't just a removable piece that can be replaced. I had an 88 non-turbo shell out back that looks okay in this area. Do I just cut the rust off this and replace it with a cut out piece from the other one? I'm just not too much of an expert when it comes to intense body work.