Good things to look for when buying an MK3?

BusterMK3

0-BHG In 77K
Feb 20, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Was wondering what specifically to look for on an mk3?
It's listed on CL over here. http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/3613715132.html Presuming it has a BHG seeing as he bought it along with another one and is unsure if it currently runs. It's a 7M-GE, needs some exterior TLC, rad, some hoses, and more than likely a rebuild. I'm dying to buy it but I want to figure out what else would need to be repaired to make this amazing machine road worthy.
I'm new to Supras, but lately I've been looking for an MK3, after a friend of mine picked one up over in Tampa as a project. But I don't know what to specifically look out for on these cars that are commonly problematic.
Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
If I were to do it all over again, I would ignore any engine or suspension issues, and get a car with a clean body and interior. Engine and suspension are easier to do for a DIYer, body and paint is a pain in the ass.

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
Check in the spare tire well for water/rust. Also, bring a weak fridge magnet and run it over the fenders. If it sticks you're good, if it doesn't there is bondo so RUN AWAY!!

BusterMK3

0-BHG In 77K
Feb 20, 2013
I'm going to look at it tomorrow morning. I told him I'm more than likely to buy it, if everything checks out with the car that is. I'm excited to have a Supra :icon_bigg , I've wanted one for the longest time. I appreciate the tips, I'm hoping this thing is legit. Would it be worth keeping the 7M or better off going 1j or 2j? I've got about $4000 after I buy it to work with.

Enraged- Yeah I'm not too concerned about mechanical issues since I'm basically looking for a rolling shell with 5sp tranny. Maybe I can get everything together before my friend in Tampa just to rub it in her face :evil2:

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
jetjock;1916256 said:
Don't buy one that has been owned by anybody under 30...

I'm 25 and mine is in great condition thanks to me not the 40 + yr old owner it had before who decided to make things impossible for me to fix..... Really...

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
BusterMK3;1916286 said:
I'm going tomorrow @ 10 A.M. to check it out and if everything checks out I'm buying it, so he took it down.

Cool, I wasn't sure if someone else got it before you maybe. Let us know how it turns out. Good Luck!

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Amazing lol.... amazingly expensive..... Good luck :D.... dont be too eager to pull the trigger. Your supra is out there somewhere, maybe its the one you see tomorrow or maybe not but its out there.

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
I spent two years looking for my last supra. Drove several hundred miles a few times and looked at lots of more local ones. Most where way lower car quality than what i wanted. Pictures of the cars and then seeing the car can be two different things. It will be cheaper in the long run to buy the nicest car to start with. A new interior $$$ A quality paint job $$$ . Staring with hacked on Stupid stuff to start with with $$$$. Don't be in a hurry. When you are in a rush you almost always get the wrong car.

BusterMK3

0-BHG In 77K
Feb 20, 2013

89gte

Regular
Apr 26, 2011
Tennessee
If I had to do it again, I would:

1. Read this forum, and figure out exactly what goals and parts your are wanting for your build and create a plan
2. Find one that is not running or BHG, but has a nice shell (no dents/hail damage, rust, ect.) and R154 (Save $$$ and rebuild the engine yourself for your goals and peace of mind)

If I were in your shoes, I would probably find a 2JZ and rebuild with a big single.

BusterMK3

0-BHG In 77K
Feb 20, 2013
89gte;1916654 said:
If I had to do it again, I would:

1. Read this forum, and figure out exactly what goals and parts your are wanting for your build and create a plan
2. Find one that is not running or BHG, but has a nice shell (no dents/hail damage, rust, ect.) and R154 (Save $$$ and rebuild the engine yourself for your goals and peace of mind)

If I were in your shoes, I would probably find a 2JZ and rebuild with a big single.

I've pretty much figured what I'm going for. MK3 with r154 like you said, and buy a 2JZ from the motor place about 20 mins away, do a rebuild on it, and go for twins and go for around 450whp as a dd. Why do you say single?

I wish people took better care of these cars. They really are great but so many of them I find around here are either asking WAY too much, or they stopped caring about it, parked it in their yard/driveway and let it sit for years. I mean I'm willing to go out somewhat far for a good one. Anyone in the Atlanta/Smyrna area looking to sell their mk3?

89gte

Regular
Apr 26, 2011
Tennessee
Honestly, I don't know as much about the single or twin setup for the 2JZ. I am still running a 7MGTE. Somebody here can give you better details on the pros and cons of each setup, but I have read in past threads that people seem to have issues with twin setups, specifically on the 1JZ. I've read that they tend to have more problems/maintenance issues. I've read posts that have talked about how much easier it is to get to/work on stuff without the clutter of the twin setup. I think that I read the single provides a higher ceiling for power. Additionally, I think the costs are going to be somewhat higher for new twin turbos (you get more bang for your buck with the single). And if you don't buy new ones, you may find that the used ones give you problems sooner than later. If it develops a significant oil leak and you don't know it (which I've seen on here), you could develop rod knock pretty fast, and all of that work and money you put in will be for naught. I've seen a good amount of people purchase the 2JZ-GE and go 2JZ-T, which would probably be cheaper; however, I do not have any personal experience building a 2JZ. Just what I've picked up from reading the forums over the past couple years. Hopefully, somebody with first hand knowledge will chime in. It could be one of those things you end up regretting on down the road.

I hear you about the second part of your post. A couple years ago, I purchased an MK3 with a good motor, but only an alright body. It had some hail damage, but a lot of it was barely noticeable. I just finished my body work and paint. I ended up repairing over 40 hail dents to prep for my black paint. Good luck with your build.

Last edited: