God I hate People

Apr 4, 2005
Tucson, AZ
why? i mean if the car was totaled or something but damn why not part it or sell the shell to someone that needs a project???

welcome to america land of the wasteful

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Can't understand why everyone is getting a sandy Vag over this...

Over the years as a Mod here I've seen probably 40>50 cars destroyed by members when they fail in a build and end up parting the car, one in particular demolished more Supra's than the "Cars" program a few years back and never got one finished... :nono:

Keep in mind it's "just a car" ;)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I think I can explain IJ... from my viewpoint, I hate to see when any unique (or even interesting) car gets beat up, wrecked, or otherwise destroyed. Just makes me sad to see someone destroy what could have been something that the kids tell the owner "cool car" or "nice car man", you know? I mean, had it been one of the 4 billion Corollas, Camry, Malibu, etc, etc that are purpose built to get from point A to point B, I could give a flying rat's ass if someone destroyed it.

That said, wasn't my car, so I still don't give a flying rat's ass, but I can see why some would. Not like there were all that many Supras made in the first place...

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
just gonna leave this here...

p1757702_1.jpg

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
I'm with TE72's general train of thought. People movers and grocery getters...wouldn't care much. But our cars are special; they were built so that Toyota could get into Group A, and we have unique sportscars because of it. They're part of automotive history, too...at the time our pre89s were released, they were the fastest thing coming out of Japan. Z31 was released, and Toyota fired back with our JZA70s, topping the new Nissans with more power and a higher top speed again. First consumer vehicle with floating subframes, which is now pretty much standard on any GT car worth its salt...the list really goes on.

Personally, I'm still trying to save mine from the junkyard. Couldn't bear to junk it when I know it's still roadworthy. That said, I did help part one out...that had been in such a nasty front end accident that the core support was back in between the strut towers. I can deal with that. But just wasting a shell that could have been something cool? Gotta be kidding me. Sell it, give it away, even store it someplace for someone to come flatbed it.

Yeah, it's still "just a car". But, it's also my Supra. There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without me, it is useless. Without it, I'm taking my truck to the next car show.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
They weren't built so Toyota could get into Group A.... :nono:

500 out of the Tens of thousands if not Hundreds of thousands built worldwide were Homologation cars no different to any other manufacturer...
<edit> Total Supra MkIII's produced: 108,565

Different matter if you have a mint one of these or even better one of the surviving Group A cars.

As for "special" while they're a damn good car they're still a production car and not some limited edition supercar, I know everyone like to feel like they're in some way exclusive/unique but seriously a Mk3 is just a car, FFS my current project car is 1 of 250 built yes 250 but it's just a car.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
I suppose in a way, we all develop emotional attachments to our vehicles, good and bad. Yes, the logical side of my brain says 'it's just a car', but theres that part of me that makes me angry when i see shit like that video, and the only thing that can explain it, is that i genuinely 'feel sorry' for it. Of all the cars i've had, whenever one of them reached the end of its life and had to be sent away, i couldn't be present when it happened, i just felt too despondant about it. I can't possibly be the only one that does this :p

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Might just be that I'm cold but I don't form emotional attachments to "things"..

I probably have more blood sweat and tears not to mention $ invested into my cars than most but still don't bond on an emotional level, when it's done it's done I bin it and move on.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Honestly I think they're a bunch of idiots for destroying perfectly good parts that could be sold. Poor little rich kids...