getting hot?

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Englewood, Ohio, United States
Ok so on my way to class today I get pulled over just for the cop to pick on me telling me I cut them off (I was 3 to 4 car lengths in front of her) and she actually told me to "get my head out of my ass" sitting there in the 95 degree weather in the middle of downtown traffic at 5 o'clock for 20 min just for her to let me go, my temp gauge starts to creep up after I pull away... I pulled over right away to let it cool off enough so I could get into the parking garage. The whole way home (cooler outside now) it was fine. Along with it being ok with me driving it in this weather for the past week. I have no clue what would cause it to do this, the water pump, radaitor, hoses temp sensor...etc. everything is new with this motor. The only thing I could think of was the thermostat.....is there anything else I could be missing here?

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Fan cowl still in place? Were you sitting with the car running when the officer was discussing the finer point of automotive etiquette?

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
CRE;1047382 said:
Fan cowl still in place? Were you sitting with the car running when the officer was discussing the finer point of automotive etiquette?
lol, yes, the fan shroud is still on and in good condition on the car, and it was running while I was sitting there....although I do have a dual electric fan setup to aid the mechanical that is going to go infront of the radiator where the AC condensor used to be that will be controlled by a thermostat that will aid on these hot days, just havent got arround to putting them on yet.

7M-GTEric

Sep 27, 2007
Knoxville, TN
My SC300 got hot twice in the 2 years I owned it, both times were sitting in a drive-thru. Turned out my coolant was just a little low. My Supra's done it a once or twice since I did the HG as well-still not sure why.

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
yea, the fan clutch was also a thought I had, I pulled that off last night and it still had a resistance to it, about the same as the extra one I have lying in the garage. The T-stat is a Stant 180 deg. I believe. The other thing that just popped into my mind is the fact that Ive still got the NA 7 blade fan on there....

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
jdub could you go into a bit more detail on the difference between the NA and turbo clutch fan setup? I was unaware they were 2 different designs.

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
I'm quite sure the actual clutches are pretty similar. The fan itself has 3 more blades however. (10 vs. 7 iirc) It should move appropriately more air with the extra compliment of blades I'd imagine. Hence, lower temps...

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
^^^ Correct. The clutch designs are very similar, but he turbo clutch is more robust...it is visibly thicker. I would assume this is to handle the 3 extra blades to move more air.

RazoE - you can improve the NA's cooling ability with a turbo fan/clutch. You're also going to have higher sound levels too ;)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The main reason I bought a new fan clutch from the dealer is that the parts stores had one part number for BOTH. It was...dinky.

Also, I had issues with oddball heat fluctuations (would stay too cold, or spike hot, ect) and I replaced my Stant T-stat with an OEM one and it's been perfect since (heats up to operating temps WAY faster, and stays there)

kingsupra

Jul 14, 2006
d-town,colorado
i ran a turbo fan on my n/a for a short time, really helped out. although i still got a bhg due to 56 ft-lb of torque on a headgasket when i asked for 75...