Getting a paint job, have a few questions

89gte

Regular
Apr 26, 2011
Tennessee
Hello,
I am a newer supra owner. Sorry in advance if some of this has been answered, I've searched but haven't found all my answers (please point in the right direction if you can). I have some fade in the clear coat on the hood and the rear bumper and spoiler. Also, I have some dents in the hood, roof, and rear quarter panels. Previous owner had hail damage to car. I am going through college right now and I don't have enough money as I'd like to spend on a paint job. I went to a Macco shop and they quoted me at $2500 for their most expensive job (Signature). It has a 5 yr warranty, but does anybody know how good this job will be (actual paint job is 799$, the body damage was quoted for most of the $). They said it is base coat + clear coat, but I realized that they didn't put in anything in the prep space on the quote. I'm going to do some prep work anyway to make sure it's done properly, but it worries me if it's only a base coat and clear. For a good job, shouldn't it be primer, 2-3 bases and finally a couple clear coats? I am definitely going to go check out some other shops, but I'm thinking Macco will most likely be in my current budget. And am also, going to contact them some more to clarify on the process and other ?s. I would prefer to paint myself, but I'm on a little bit of a time crunch between work and school and I know a lot goes into painting a car; and, I don't think I have the tools or skill right now to attempt this kind of work. Thanks in advance.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Do not get a macco paint job. Imo, you're better off doing it yourself or just saving money and putting that towards mechanical bits until you can afford to do it right.

A good, worthwhile, basic paint job with body damage repair should be 5 grand or more, imo.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
I always paint my cars myself to get the best paint job, but with the body work you need done that is the main problem and time consuming thing. As for Macco paint jobs my uncle buys and fixes wrecked cars, he does all the body work and prep and takes it to macco for them to paint it. He brings them the car already prepped and the paint, and just lets them spray it, anywhere from $200-$300 depending on the car. I will say all of the cars he has them do have turned out very good.

You would be surprised at how good or bad a paint job can be depending on the prep and the paint used. I can do a very good paint job easily as long as I have good paint but when people want their car painted and bring me crap paint it will turn out like crap, cheep paints just will not lay down flat so you have to paint then wet sand then clear its not worth the time wet sanding so just get good paint. The people get paint for $80 for base and clear but for $120 you can get good paint that will lay down flat and nice. For the extra $40 you get a paint that will lay flat and a clear that will have great depth. Stay away from one stage paints ie no clear coat, they suck to spray.

Best thing is if you want macco to paint it either way if you are going to have them do body work or you do it I would suggest talking to them about bringing your own paint and see what they will need, ie depending if they are baking the car you will want to use a different activator. Slow activator will always turn out for the best clear, but you have to have a very clean spray booth and will want it to be baked on because it takes forever to dry. Also to use slow activator you have to know what you are doing with it, if you spray the next layer on too early the first layer car gas out through the next layer causing air pockets, so point is see what activator level they are used to using and use that unless they like fast activator that stuff will not get you a good clear.

DahnEEEE

Mar 31, 2011
Californiaaa
I was thinking about going to one day paint. They quoted me ~1500 with base/clear coat w/ 5 year warranty . I saw how one of their cars looked like with that package and it looked pretty nice! None of that Orange peel look

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
i think they are garbage i would do all the prep work and shoot it myself (better to finish college first bro;) ) there is a lot in painting. there is no shortcuts and if they take a day to do a car where it should take a week there are issues in the process. maaco will not turn out good... guaranteed.

discount and paintjob do not live together :)

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
DahnEEEE;1736605 said:
I was thinking about going to one day paint. They quoted me ~1500 with base/clear coat w/ 5 year warranty . I saw how one of their cars looked like with that package and it looked pretty nice! None of that Orange peel look

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Lol, "none of that Orange peel" and a GOOD paintjob are still worlds apart. If you're going through the hassle of a paint job do it right. A good paint job will look factory.a bad paint job will look like a repaint. A HORRIBLE paint job will make you say, "looks like somebody went to macco."

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Over the years, I have always heard Maaco is good paint......their prep work is shit. This is why most of their work sucks. A paint job is only as good as the prep work. If you are not a good body man, or don't have the tools to be, find another painter. If you can take it to them ready to paint, and buy the top of the line job, you will be fine.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
ForcedTorque;1736795 said:
Over the years, I have always heard Maaco is good paint......their prep work is shit. This is why most of their work sucks. A paint job is only as good as the prep work. If you are not a good body man, or don't have the tools to be, find another painter. If you can take it to them ready to paint, and buy the top of the line job, you will be fine.

This is exactly the advice that got me in trouble. Did all of my own prep work, sanded it down to 400 grit, took it in and the manager said "this is the best prep job I've seen come in here, way better than my guys". The paint fades way fast. Looked alright when I first got it and less than a year later it was already fading in spots.

89gte

Regular
Apr 26, 2011
Tennessee
OfnaRcR4;1736870 said:
This is exactly the advice that got me in trouble. Did all of my own prep work, sanded it down to 400 grit, took it in and the manager said "this is the best prep job I've seen come in here, way better than my guys". The paint fades way fast. Looked alright when I first got it and less than a year later it was already fading in spots.

Did you get the best quality job Macco offered? I was told by them if this happens it has a 5 yr warranty and they will fix it.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
talk to local hot rod shops or clubs, there are usually guys that do it out of their own shop, and do a much better job than a chain paint shop. some are cheap, some are expensive, but I would go that route rather than a maaco job.

Dingoboy

Dec 25, 2009
Tampa, FL
Got my '92 in the shop right now for a full, proper paint job with some body repairs, including what appears to be minor hail damage on the roof. They smoothed out a few other dings, and some minor sheet metal work on the left rear fender where a dump truck tried to change lanes into me but left VERY minor damage. Everything else is just R&I parts & replace with what I brung 'em. They removed the sunroof, all glass, all trim & mouldings, bumpers, door handles... they will refinish the glass trim, replace the mouldings with a set I got thru the group buy here, paint all jambs, etc. They will not be painting the engine bay. Don't want them touching the 1JZ & not being able to put it back.

Cost? $5k (Labor + primer & paint supplies)

If you can properly prep the car yourself, you can take your chances with Maaco. But results are very inconsistent at Maaco. If you don't want to have to repaint within 3-5 years, I'd concentrate on other repairs & upgrades for a while & wait until you can afford to have a good quality local shop handle the job. Best way to find a reputable shop is ask around with car clubs. I asked around until I found a shop where they could show me numerous galleries of frame-off restorations & high end show cars they had done. (I figure if they handle the frame-off jobs, their guys won't cry about painting door jambs, etc.)

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
go into a body shop and talk to a painter. ask them if they are willing to do a side-job. they tend to make more on a side-job since none of the money is going to a shop and they should try their hardest to make sure its done right with the money you are willing to pay them. but when you go that route, you don't get a warranty. that's what i would do.
or since you're in college, do body work yourself and get a paint job with no warranty for ~$500 to have the car looking good for a while until you graduate and can pay for a real paint job.