german castrol oil change

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Way too soon. Any PAO oil (like GC) or an ester based oil (like Red Line) is good for 8K miles easy...just do a filter change at 4K and add make-up oil. In fact, changing any oil at the 3K point will actually increase wear on the engine...this is backed up by several SAE studies on the subject. It is a myth promoted by the oil change shops (and some ignorant mechanics), solely designed to transfer $$$ from your pocket to theirs.

Next time do a search in this section and you will discover this has been discussed a couple times now ;)

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Yup, I go about 10k now with my GC. :)

It actually makes the extra cost of the oil a moot point wince you can go a bit longer without a change. Especially when you can get it on special at Autozone or Pepboys.

Good stuff. I have 13 quarts on my bedroom shelf. Such a dork. :rofl:

max-89supra(t)

Dec 12, 2008
vancouver, wa
ok thanks a lot jdub:icon_bigg:icon_bigg:icon_bigg
sorry i didnt know this subject was discussed,....my bad, this will same me some money too now:icon_bigg

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
jdub;1476485 said:
In fact, changing any oil at the 3K point will actually increase wear on the engine...this is backed up by several SAE studies on the subject.

could you please tell me more about this.(how it increases wear by changing it more) very interested. i run gc and usually change it about every 5k or so but i used to do alot of long distance drives and my oil was always very very black.

would changing just the filter at like 2500k keep the oil that much cleaner?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I was under the impression that extended service intervals were the primary benefit of running a full synthetic oil?

I go minmum 10,000 KM's between changes but do throw a couple of filters at it during that time with a top up as needed.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
hvyman;1478662 said:
could you please tell me more about this.(how it increases wear by changing it more) very interested. i run gc and usually change it about every 5k or so but i used to do alot of long distance drives and my oil was always very very black.

would changing just the filter at like 2500k keep the oil that much cleaner?

Search this section and you will get the answer you seek ;)

Like i said above, change the filter at 4K and you can run GC 8K easy between changes.

BTW - black oil does not mean that the oil is worn out...another urban oil myth. Just ask your mechanic.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
found it. gc cleaned my last motor really good but this is a really dirty motor which is prolly whats making it look so black. i changed my oil like 1500 miles ago and its already dirty. prolly going to change the filter soon. im my own mechanic btw.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
hvyman;1479048 said:
found it. gc cleaned my last motor really good but this is a really dirty motor which is prolly whats making it look so black. i changed my oil like 1500 miles ago and its already dirty. prolly going to change the filter soon. im my own mechanic btw.

Your oil will turn black even with a perfectly healthy, clean motor. It's not necessarily relevant to the oil or your engine's health. I cringe anytime somebody infers that color somehow determines an oil's health.

If you want to know how much crap is being "cleaned" out of your motor, you'd need to look at your oil filter element and on top of that, get your oil analyzed to see how the oil is holding up.

I'm by no means an expert like jdub, but the color of oil myth aggravates even me...

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
hvyman;1479048 said:

Just because it's black does not mean it's dirty...any decent filter will remove 90% of 12-14 micron particulates. A good filter (like the ones you hear me preach) will get 95% of 10 micron size...run a bypass filter in conjunction with the stock one and that drops to 1 micron. If your oil is getting dark, that means it's doing it's job.

I was alluding to most of the "myths" you hear about oil are spread by mechanics, professional or otherwise ;)

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
thanks. ive read a lot of your motor oil facts and threads and use a pureone(currently)used to use mobil one as there easier to find.

if i had the money id switch to a full flow oil system with a dual filter setup.

iirc ive read that if you drive long distance drives like 200-400 miles+ a day that your oil breaks down a lot quicker am i right?

i changed my oil about 2k miles ago, give or take 500 miles(havnt looked at the speedo), but i did about almost 1000 miles in a day(12 hours a driving) and my oil is blacker than usual at this point.

am i right in thinking that i should just change the filter and going for another 4-6k miles?

is it better to change the filter 3 times every 8k(as you say the gc has no prob going 8k with 2 filters) or am i over precautious(sp?)?

i love learning about oil as its one of my pepievs(sp) about my cars.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Actually long drives are better for the oil (and the engine) with one exception. If the oil temp gets above it's operating range (>230 deg F) for extended periods, two things happen:
1) Viscosity drops off significantly
2) The additives begin to break down

An oil cooler with sufficient capacity is key to prevent this. Under normal highway conditions, the stock cooler should work fine. Longer driving times allow the oil to get to it's 100 deg C ops temp and stay there. Water from combustion and any excess fuel blow by is evaporated off through the PCV very quickly.

Stop looking at oil color ;)
(it doesn't mean squat)

The stock size filter has plenty of capacity to go 4K between changes. As a filter collects particulates from the oil it gets more efficient (to a point) and is able to trap smaller sizes. Changing the filter too often will result in more of the smaller size crud to circulate through the motor.

A full flow T-stat controlled system is the way to go...this should be near the top of every Supra owner's mod list IMO. A remote filter head as a part of this will allow either a larger capacity filter or a conventional & bypass filter (Trasko) on a dual filter head. A full flow system will giver you better pressure, keep the oil at ops temp, and improve filtering capability. Awful lot of + here ;)

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
It is SO difficult to get people off the habit of changing at 3k....

Hell, I go 5-6k on dino and people think I'm nuts.
I officially have a new supply of broken-in mobil1 from a Corvette owner too stubborn to go more than 3k. Looked at me like I had 3 heads when I asked him to save his used oil for me... :biglaugh:

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
How about time jdub? Once a year, 2 years, 3...???

<---puts on less then 2K miles a year on the sup with redline.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
supra90turbo;1479474 said:
It is SO difficult to get people off the habit of changing at 3k....

Hell, I go 5-6k on dino and people think I'm nuts.
I officially have a new supply of broken-in mobil1 from a Corvette owner too stubborn to go more than 3k. Looked at me like I had 3 heads when I asked him to save his used oil for me... :biglaugh:

Not too sure I'd fill with used oil...never know where that stuffs been ;)

92nsx;1479475 said:
How about time jdub? Once a year, 2 years, 3...???

<---puts on less then 2K miles a year on the sup with redline.

I'd change every year, and in your case I would not use Red Line. Way too expensive for the use you get out of it.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
jdub;1479480 said:
Not too sure I'd fill with used oil...never know where that stuffs been ;)

Very true, not going to use it on the supra, but the DD. Used mobil1 is like gold compared to what goes into that car ;)

Besides, half the time the oil gets changed on that 'vette for time, not mileage. 6 months or 3,000mi is buried in his routine and will not budge.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
jdub;1479480 said:
I'd change every year, and in your case I would not use Red Line. Way too expensive for the use you get out of it.

Ok cool, thank you for the info. As for the $$ its not to bad I don't think. $70-80 once a year for the a piece of mind knowing the "good stuff" is in there. Also I got a good deal on the oil, 2 cases for $160. :icon_bigg

max-89supra(t)

Dec 12, 2008
vancouver, wa
suprarx7nut;1479091 said:
Your oil will turn black even with a perfectly healthy, clean motor. It's not necessarily relevant to the oil or your engine's health. I cringe anytime somebody infers that color somehow determines an oil's health.

If you want to know how much crap is being "cleaned" out of your motor, you'd need to look at your oil filter element and on top of that, get your oil analyzed to see how the oil is holding up.

I'm by no means an expert like jdub, but the color of oil myth aggravates even me...

^^^^^^^same here!
im a semi truck mechanic and started out as a lube tech, and like 90 percent of truck drivers believe in the oil color mith-pissed me off when i had to explain to every other truck driver that dark oil doesnt mean its bad! they pull the dipstick, see that its black and think that its time for a oil change