gasket discussion

silversup

Supraluva
May 25, 2005
Philly
I have always wondered what is the best prep for a gasket.(water pump, oil pan etc) I have always used some RTV and the gasket. A guy was once telling me that when doing his water pump he did not even bother using a gasket sealer and got no leaks. What do you guys think? sealent needed? A lot or a little? Anybody have any tricks that work for them?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
i'm a big fan of gray RTV. i used it on my valve covers with upgraded bolts and it works great. i also use a very thin coat of it on the T-stat housing, tail lights (both sides of the crappy foam gasket) etc...

the oil pan doesnt have a gasket, its supposed to be FIPG.

-shaeff

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
shaeff said:
i'm a big fan of gray RTV. i used it on my valve covers with upgraded bolts and it works great. i also use a very thin coat of it on the T-stat housing, tail lights (both sides of the crappy foam gasket) etc...

the oil pan doesnt have a gasket, its supposed to be FIPG.

-shaeff

the oil pan actually has/had a cork gasket...when torqued PROPERLY the cork gasket works fine...however the better option regardless would be FIPG.

as for sealant with gaskets...theres no point..a gasket is just that...a sealant for the mating surfaces...

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Idealsupra said:
the oil pan actually has/had a cork gasket...

they came stock with a cork gasket? neither of the three 7m's motor i've taken apart, (including my 30k mile JDM motor) had cork gaskets. it was all FIPG.

-shaeff

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
shaeff said:
they came stock with a cork gasket? neither of the three 7m's motor i've taken apart, (including my 30k mile JDM motor) had cork gaskets. it was all FIPG.

-shaeff

honestly im not 100% sure...it very well could have come with fipg from factory...HOWEVER i was just saying there is a cork gasket for it...and it CAN be used... :p

JT87NA

Mar 30, 2005
SLC, UT
Idealsupra said:
honestly im not 100% sure...it very well could have come with fipg from factory...HOWEVER i was just saying there is a cork gasket for it...and it CAN be used... :p

I believe from the factory it was FIPG, when you buy an aftermarket gasket set for the 7m they come with a cork oil pan gasket, I ended up using the cork gasket along with rtv on the edges, seemed to be doing well after 20k, but who knows when it would start leaking, I think the best bet is to just go with FIPG since it is proven.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Idealsupra said:

ohh, i know there IS a cork gasket for the oil pan, i just was under the impression that it was not stock. i doubt toyota offers one for the supra, which leads me to believe that there never was one. anyone have an EPC to check that? if i remember correctly, Siman used a cork gasket and it leaked like a sieve. i'll stick with the FIPG. :)

-shaeff

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
shaeff said:
ohh, i know there IS a cork gasket for the oil pan, i just was under the impression that it was not stock. i doubt toyota offers one for the supra, which leads me to believe that there never was one. anyone have an EPC to check that? if i remember correctly, Siman used a cork gasket and it leaked like a sieve. i'll stick with the FIPG. :)

-shaeff

according to this:

http://cygnusx1.net/supra/library/EPC/MKIII_NATO/291410/1105_2.html

there is no gasket....so would assume FIPG from factory....

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
For soft rubber type seals and gaskets I use Permatex #3 as it doesn't set hard.

For hard gaskets I use #4

I use maniseal on anything exhaust

I use fipg for the pan

On head gaskets if they have a viton rubber coating I'll use a thin smear of #3 around the timing case end but leave the rest dry, if used or a composite stock type gasket I'll coat it with either copper spray or GM head bolt sealer.

This is just something I've been doing for many years and don't get leaks so I stick with it.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I don't use sealant, stick to the stock gaskets with the exception of the oilpan, where I used FIPG as usual. No leaks.

Except for a couple spots where the TSRM says to apply a dab... like the point on each side of the front of the cam cover gaskets.

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
many times I dont use a gasket at all- only the FIPG. When selecting your gasket sealant you need to read the package and see if it is safe for the type of gasket you are using it on. Some are not oil resistant....... A light coating on both sides of the gasket is good - just light enough so you can almost see through it. It will fill any small cracks/abrasions in the gasket mating surfaces.