FYI: Fake Walbros from China

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Dubbalduce2r4i;875066 said:
Great.... Hey Guys, I was curious if anyone has ever bought a fp off Lightingauto, or weaponspeed? Weaponspeed shows walbro 255lph (GSS341-400-760) fp/w kit, free shippin for 89.00usd, and Lightingauto 255lph (WAL GSS-317) w/ kit (WAL 400-765) + shippin for 98.11usd. I purchased mine through weaponspeed, and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them ,as i haven't ran the engine yet. But the pump is stamped Walbro (GSS341-400-760) Made in U.S.A. yet there is nothing mentioned about Walbro in the install instructions.

That's just more of a reason to buy it from a known source (aka Driftmotion). Therefore, there won't be any questioning if it's real or fake.

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
thing is, unless you are purchasing directly form walbro you don't know if you're supplier is shady and selling china ones. So all the people that said they sell REAL walbros, is there any way you know for sure unless you are setup as a distrib of walbro? or buy directly form the disb or resller?

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
ive bought a ebay pump, my fuep pressure gaUge wouldn't show any more then 20psi the day before a dyno day so i missed out... in fact i didn't drive my car..

i purchased a new walbro from horse power freaks, and got 10% due to dyno day purchase. they let me have it for 90 i think.

needles i swaped it out , latter to find the gauge was bad.. but still peice of mind havin a good pump in my car, my fake walbro now sit's in my project mkii till i produce enough power to need a new pump.

definitly glade to see this info is up, when i bought my walbro off ebay, i spend 89 bucks....

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
The primary problem with pumps like this is they generally don't just stop working. They keep working just fine.

Where the problem comes in is they tend to produce reduced flow under load.

The pump will supply adequate fuel for driving around town and crusing, and you'll think you are just fine. Until that one cool morning when you go to pass someone on the highway and really get into loaded boost and it doesn't supply the fuel the motor needs.

An oilpan full of piston parts is usually the result. And the owner will tell you how the Supra is a piece of crap. Or how he'll never own another one of these 7M's or any number of other stupid things, never realizing that his $50 fuel pump from ebay is the problem.

JASONA70

nomnomnom
Oct 27, 2006
socal
i purchased a walbro from ebay in 2006, it cost me 98 dollars shipped. I'm scared that i might have bought a chinabro :cry:

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
What I find hilarious about the first link is the company posting that has blantantly easy acess to the fake shit, they have obviously shown you that they can make the pumps look damn near identical, so, what's keeping them from selling you the fake shit? ;)

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
I am slightly amused by the people who say they will only buy from this shop,
or that shop, because they have only good stuff.
Yet whan I go look at this site, or that site,
the have chinese junk listed right along with good stuff...........

I think the saying is something like 'there's one born every minute'.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
89supra7mgte;1568104 said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WALB...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c082fda2e

What about this one/ 98$ only 10-20 or so less than hpf, dm or ss. Anyone got info on these guys? they state its genuine walbro such as link in first post states. Am i good to go or no?

No physical street address that I can find.
No phone number.
No email.

They are, for all intents and purposes, anonymous.

What other information do you have for this compay other than an eBay user name?

If the pump turns out to be not what they said it is, what will you do when you go back to eBay and look up the username and it says "No longer a registered member"?

Buy from a real shop and stop f'ing around. Is a motor really worth risking to save $10 - $20?

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
I had purchased this not due saving money but shipping time shit I'm still waiting on parts I ordered the first of the month. Didn't know until last night that they were selling knock walbro pumps. They say they are a genuine dealer figured maybe they were legit? The instructions and all info list it as walbro. Aside from buying a new pump is there anyway of checking to see if its good or Not

818574fuel is the number I found to contact them. I assume calling them they will say yea its legit?

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
See first post in this thread.

Also, Google is your friend:

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=How+to+spot+counterfiet+walbro+pump

The real answer is it's damned difficult. The copies have been investing more and more effort into looking like a Walbro rather than just making a better pump. The only way to ensure you've got the real deal is to buy from a well known vendor who has a reputation that they aren't going to risk by selling you junk.

Check the links above, and if it passes all the tests, you MIGHT be ok. Even calling them is a crapshoot. It could be legit, but it's hard to tell.

That's really the entire point of the thread. Once you buy it from Fly By Night Industries, you'll never know until it blows your motor.

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
Ok so i went through some of the searches on your google search, found one that said if the gears in the bottom of pump are metal your good if plastic its shit. Well just pulled my pump back out pulled the strainer off and can see two what appears to be meshing gears with slight rounded teeth, they look like they are steel. Are those the right gears to be looking at? and is that i good way of telling fake from legit?

Its a nissan forum but might be correct?
http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=336985