fwd clutch replacements FTL!

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
foreverpsycotic;1057258 said:
I have pulled a FWD DSM tranny, it is not that bad. 150lb wet at the most. Simple as cake. We had a motor and tranny out in like 4-5 hours

Rennat;1057257 said:
uhh... i owned a 2g GST. and he is no way full of crap...

Neither of these statments disprove the fact that he is still full of crap for saying hes pulled and replaced a 5spd in under an hour and that it was a 10lb transmission.

I stand by my statement that he is full of it.

Also in my defence it is only my second FWD trans and my first DSM. finally in my defence Im doing this by myself with nothing more than a small floor jack. No trans jack and nothing to hoist the right side of the motor. I struggled badly today trying to make the frigging thing fit back in. Took me a couple hours of fighting but it finally seated. I still have a couple hours most finishing up tomorrow evening.

I still challange anyone to prove that FWD clutch replacements dont suck ass, lol

ForcedTorque;1057393 said:
Pete.........You da Man.........helping a Damsel in distress. SA Rocks! Good luck finishing up! Wish i could help.

well Im helping her out in the sense that she would have paid more and had to tow it to a shop, but she is still paying me. Good thing for her, not by the hour, lol. I stand by my work though. It wasnt the fastest clutch job in the world, but I know its done right at least.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
i've done it with no jack. LOL. only to lift the car up. and after that it was all muscle and coaxing out. and its a learning process with any car, but the eclipse is easy.

and you think FWD is bad? do an AWD. theres a bunch more shit to take off, and that transfer case if fuckin heavy for how tiny it is. and trans jacks are for girls anyways. hahaha

have fun and dont lose a finger! make sure you put loctite on those flywheel and pp bolts!

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
you are welcome, sorry it took so long. Like I said I guarranty my work so let me know if there are any unresolved issues. DAMN, Im glad that's done too. Now I can get on with my own transmission. :naughty:

is the idle problem gone?

626na

Banned
Jan 15, 2008
cali
theWeezL;1058475 said:
you are welcome, sorry it took so long. Like I said I guarranty my work so let me know if there are any unresolved issues. DAMN, Im glad that's done too. Now I can get on with my own transmission. :naughty:

is the idle problem gone?

dude can you change my clutch?
its a na 7m so it should be easy and fast lol:sarcasm:

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
theWeezL;1057726 said:
Neither of these statments disprove the fact that he is still full of crap for saying hes pulled and replaced a 5spd in under an hour and that it was a 10lb transmission.

Once i finish my time machine I'll go back and time lapse it... I was being stupid when I said the trans was 10 lbs, I was just eluding to the fact that w/o a trans jack I'd much rather have to man handle one of those than an r154 or any auto trans from a Supra.

I'm not questioning your manhood or anything, I was just saying that IMO DSMs are the easiest cars to work on. When I work on my Supras I pull the engine/trans together, you may just drop the trans or pull the engine, drop the front subframe, w/e, I don't care.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
theWeezL;1057726 said:

Also in my defence it is only my second FWD trans and my first DSM. finally in my defence Im doing this by myself with nothing more than a small floor jack. No trans jack and nothing to hoist the right side of the motor. I struggled badly today trying to make the frigging thing fit back in. Took me a couple hours of fighting but it finally seated. I still have a couple hours most finishing up tomorrow evening.

I still challange anyone to prove that FWD clutch replacements dont suck ass, lol

Did you try to pull the trans out of the top, or through the bottom? Besides, it is nice to be able to see all of the bolts, unlike the MKIII.

savannahashlee

I AM A CHICK :)
Jan 15, 2008
PDX (Oregon)
Weezl, I took her for a drive to Sweet Home, to see the Mustangs.. after that, she was a dream! A whole different animal now.. She just glides with ease.. She was very eager to be driven..

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
mkiiSupraMan18;1058593 said:
I'm not questioning your manhood or anything, I was just saying that IMO DSMs are the easiest cars to work on.

I wasnt trying to be an ass either really, I was just severely frustrated by how long the job was taking and struggled with a couple of troublesome issues. I still stand by my assesment that it could NOT be done in less than a hour. I could believe a couple guys taking 4-5 hours to do it (Im talking about dropping the trans, replacing the clutch and reinstalling the trans) if they know what the hell they are doing. The job actually books as 4.5 shop hours.

I also believe you when you say DSM's are easy. I will still take doing a rear wheel drive clutch any day of the week. I have to pull everything for a 5spd swap out of a mk2 this week and in comparison I expect it to take me no more than a couple hours.

The job is done, the car runs great, and the customer is happy, and I got paid so all is well in the land of rain and blackberries.