fwd clutch replacements FTL!

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
So I spent all day today trying to remove the transaxle from SavannahAshleys eclipse turbo. Well ok to be fair I spent most of the day removing other stuff so I COULD remove the tranaxle, and only about an hour on the tranaxle itself. It gave me fits in the end but I have to also admit Im not that familiar with this car and it would have gone faster had I had a little better instuctions.

AAaaanywayyyy...so I get the trans out and go to take off the flywheel and my impact doesnt have enough to do the job. I ended up getting all but one off using a breaker bar but one of the bolt heads rounds off just enough (they are really flat bolt heads, like half the height of normal hex heads) that I cant break it loose.

Im guessing with being the bolts having never been off that its taking somewhere near 150-180ft lbs to break them loose, whats gonna stand up to that, that might take the bolt off? I think I there is enough of the bolt left that the right remover and a better impact might get it.

I will figure it out, I always do, just wanted to rant about what a shitty job doing clutches on FWD's is!

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
626na;1056794 said:
is a supra one much easier?

I will never again complain about the top starter bolt on a 5M/7M. I can do a clutch in a rear wheel drive in about 3 or 4 hours.

Actually before I started the axles were my biggest worry and I had those out in no time. The big problem with the trans on the 2.0t on the eclipse was the rear mount. I either needed longer thinner arms or an extra joint right about mid forearm. lol.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
uhhh... I completely disagree with your post.

DSMs are BY FAR the easiest pieces of crapp to work on.

They made the transmissions uber easy to take on and off since you have to do it so often.

I swapped a 5 speed trans basically by myself in my 5 speed turbo DSM in under an hour. hell, it weighs a whopping 10 lbs it seemed like. These are the only cars that I would recommend just dropping the trans and not pulling the engine/trans together.

Rounded bolts happen on every type of drivetrain. :icon_bigg

Have you tried the 'easy offs'? They've never failed me.

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
Bessemer, Alabama, United States
etc125.jpg

your new friend :D

savannahashlee

I AM A CHICK :)
Jan 15, 2008
PDX (Oregon)
Zumtizzle;1056845 said:
SavannahAshleys doesn't post much anymore. :(

She's nice.

Best of luck Weeze! Hopefully she's compensating you well! :naughty:

There.. I posted for you... And he's got compensated financially..

Anyhow.... Here's a pic of the clutch

p1057105_1.jpg

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Im sorry but Honda's are ftw. Takes me around 3hrs to do a clutch change in a civic or integra, beer breaks and all.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
mkiiSupraMan18;1057077 said:
I swapped a 5 speed trans basically by myself in my 5 speed turbo DSM in under an hour. hell, it weighs a whopping 10 lbs it seemed like.

You sir are completely full of crap.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
^ Actually, I'm not.

All the bolts are super easy to get to, the axles pop right out, the trans mount is right on top, the intake took about 10 seconds to take off, the linkage clips on, and there's what.... 4 plugs on the transmission? Starter bolts are right in front of you, the 2 slave cyl bolts are just as easy...

Like stated before, the trans weighs nothing compared to a r154, it's a straight onto the engine shot from below, badda bing badda boom.

This was swapping a 5sp trans for one w/ the guts hanging out the bottom, I left the clutch and what not on the flywheel.

Believe it or not, but I'd rather change a DSM trans than a Supra ________.