Furious But Lazy 7M owner who gave Up.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Damn. Random objects in the engine, the wrong nuts on the head studs...why are machine shops such pieces of shit? Did you move the piston down and inspect the cylinder wall?

stevenr816

Feb 12, 2007
Phoenix,AZ
www.myspace.com
Yes, surprisingly it looks untouched. Still going to give it a quick hone to be safe with new piston/rings.

The contact was about 4 degrees coming up to tdc it would start to bind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Where can I find a head gasket for a 1jz?

Or will I need to purchase another engine gasket kit from DM..

Thanks Steven for keeping everyone up to date. And the work of course.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Look at the Compressor wheel and cover, has this IC been used before?

(My "guess" at this point is no oil pressure at the start and a tight compressor wheel has shaved some of the compressor cover then blown it through the IC into the engine.. :( )

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
IJ.;1894118 said:
Look at the Compressor wheel and cover, has this IC been used before?

(My "guess" at this point is no oil pressure at the start and a tight compressor wheel has shaved some of the compressor cover then blown it through the IC into the engine.. :( )

The intercooler is brand new. Well was.

As for the turbo I'm sure Steven will take a look at it tomorrow if he hasn't already.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Thanks that rules out old crap in the IC from a previous engine, if the Comp wheel was rubbing in one spot then you get enough engine speed/exhaust flow to give it a flick it could shave off a sliver, this would explain the slow out of time knock at the start that slowly got better then with oil pressure the shaft/wheel is up off the cover and the noise gets less..

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
In one of the photo's you can see Steven removed the intake from the turbo. So I'm sure he had a look at the wheel at the least.

Plus the piece was magnetic and I think the compressor housing is not.. But I'm not sure it could be.

You would think we would have heard that happen we I very first started it.

And knock started before the engine ever saw 600+ rpm

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
IJ.;1894122 said:
Magnetic rules out the wheel/cover, hmmm

Had to be sometype of stud/bolt I think. Sadly the reality is there's no way for me to prove its not my fault.

I'm glad the walls were not damaged and its just one of the pistons.

MySupra

importsoftexas.com
Dec 4, 2011
Houston, Texas
importsoftexas.com
Damn, read the whole thread while at work. I need an energy drink.

RDOcG.gif

ShmoupleDupe

Nov 21, 2012
Florida
So, I've read this entire thing, and I must say, I had some pretty real feels for you starting up every once in a while.
Some bad luck has come with the building of this car, and some pretty low moves by a few people.
Even though you found the shavings, I think you should recheck those spark plugs ;)
Just kidding, but this is looking like a fantastic project, and I hope you the best of luck with the continuation of it! It's starting to look pretty amazing :)

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Quin;1894152 said:
I'm thinking this was good luck. Block is still good head is probably repairable.

Guess it depends on how you look at it.

Good if its my fault
Bad if its not

MySupra;1894159 said:
Damn, read the whole thread while at work. I need an energy drink.

RDOcG.gif

Lol. Thanks for reading it. I'm sure afterwards you are like shit I wan my life back.

ShmoupleDupe;1894186 said:
So, I've read this entire thing, and I must say, I had some pretty real feels for you starting up every once in a while.
Some bad luck has come with the building of this car, and some pretty low moves by a few people.
Even though you found the shavings, I think you should recheck those spark plugs ;)
Just kidding, but this is looking like a fantastic project, and I hope you the best of luck with the continuation of it! It's starting to look pretty amazing :)

Appreciate the kind words and luck. Although since Steven and the rest of Dhans crew are finishing it I think it's safe to say. Don't need any more luck.

I had a bit of a bad strong of luck. But I assume its mostly my own fault and trying to build this car in such a short period o time.

Their is definitely some things I already can see I wish I went about differently. But all in all I'm happy with what I got. Just wished this last obstacle did not happen. But I'm sure it will all be worth it In the end.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
stevenr816;1894131 said:
Like I said the piece is magnetic, and was flat originally, then both sides folded making it a roll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what ever it was it seemed to be the same on both sides of the object?

If this is the case it rules out a couple things.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
So I went to talk to the machine shop today.

After showing him pictures and talking with him he asked me to bring in the shavings so he can take a look and see if he can figure out what it is.

He also told me to bring the head in so he can repair it.

He said he doesn't think the object was anything with threads as he has always seen objects leave behind thread marks on pistons if they had them.