Furious But Lazy 7M owner who gave Up.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
So lately I've been thinking about turbos and how you figure out how much power they will make.

my turbo flows 74lbs/min = 740hp
the turbo I have in mind flows 95lbs/min = 950hp

So here's where I get confused

How are the turbos rated for HP if there is so many different applications they can be used on?

Example take a 700hp rated turbo and put it on a 1J would it be able to get that motor to 700hp with the supporting mods?
Now take that same setup and change the block out for a 2jz block now you have 500cc extra now will the turbo/motor setup make more power ?

It just confuses me that when you take a turbo rated 700hp and slap it on a motor then take that same turbo and slap it on a bigger or smaller motor and its still rated for the same hp.

You would think a turbo is rated for what application it's being used on.

So can anyone tell me where my thinking is going wrong.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
It takes xx Air per hour added to yy fuel to make zz Hp, The only real difference is going to be where the engine makes it's power rpm wise, often laugh at the "how much hp will my combination make?" threads as it's all down to the Turbo fitted, some smaller/restrictive engines may never be able to flow enough exhaust to get the turbo to it's maxium hp potential though.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
let's say you have a turbo that's good for 700 and you are only making 600 instead of changing other parts of the setup to achieve the 700hp goal you just switch to a turbo that is rated for 900hp to get that extra 100hp.

Would this be considered a bad idea(unsafe) ?

It seems like a lot of people tend to do this. In my head it seems like it would be more smart to figure out where your motor is not achieving the potential of the turbo or is this just where it comes down to the motor not being able to keep up with turbo.

With my end goal being above 800whp One Day in the feature I just want to know how to decide which turbo to go with without over doing it.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Little update Ceramic coated exhaust manifold

p1902391_1.jpg

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
From reading several forums from SRT guys to cummins turbo guys, everyone is talking about drive pressure to make sure you're in the turbos correct a/r for your engine. If I'm correct in my understanding, achieving the 1:1 ratio for drive pressure would bring you the peak hp potential for your combo. As for what a turbo is 'rated' at I believe it's compared to the CI of whatever they based it off of. Such as a 62mm might make 600 on your 2.5 but a bigger CI will need MORE air flow to achieve the same numbers. Let me know if this is bad info as I'm also interested in learning what the most effective setup would be for xx horsepower.

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
Turbo Habanero;1901630 said:
let's say you have a turbo that's good for 700 and you are only making 600 instead of changing other parts of the setup to achieve the 700hp goal you just switch to a turbo that is rated for 900hp to get that extra 100hp.

Would this be considered a bad idea(unsafe) ?

It seems like a lot of people tend to do this. In my head it seems like it would be more smart to figure out where your motor is not achieving the potential of the turbo or is this just where it comes down to the motor not being able to keep up with turbo.

With my end goal being above 800whp One Day in the feature I just want to know how to decide which turbo to go with without over doing it.

I think this article is pretty good at explaining how to read a compressor map. The compressor map is a great place to start with turbo selection. As IJ stated, the air the flow of the turbo and the amount of power it can make is pretty straight forward, "figure about 10 hp per every pound of air.". But it is all in how a turbo creates that positive pressure that dictates what turbo is best for your application.

http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0304_turp_compressor_map/viewall.html

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Kinda funny for the peeps who followed this thread and remember Snowman technically he was the first to guess what happened to my engine lol

Just was re reading the whole thread currently on page 85 I thought this was funny

snowman;1889648 said:
Sounds like one of your pistons is interfering with either valve or plug. You can hear the engine bog when it hits tdc and the flame front is extinguished almost. Sounds like it's hitting at tdc. Sounds like 2 different sounds at the same time.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
These comments regarding Snowman where the best made me laugh

gurley0916;1890766 said:
thats it i cant take this anymore....IM OUT
u6ujyget.jpg

Albert;1890783 said:
Seriously get out

IBoughtASupra;1890777 said:
^ Not sure if troll...

IBoughtASupra;1890791 said:
Harsh attitude? You have no clue what you are talking about my friend....Seriously....

Clint;1890796 said:
[video=youtube;5hfYJsQAhl0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

IJ.;1890800 said:
Been so long since I banned anyone
had to do it again ;)
(screwed it up the first time)