funky_monkey58's build thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Yuk

Apr 3, 2009
Minnesota
I've gotta get those pics up from the show.. strange... 2 MK3s, Black, with the same License Plate??? :sarcasm:
Heard you coming 3 blocks a way. It was good to finally see it on the road.

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
integra08;1337818 said:
Whats the hp goal on this one?
600rwhp was my goal.

But now that my engine is toast the new goal is back running this summer and to max out my turbo.

So whatever a gt4088 will push out under full boost we will find out.:3d_frown:

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
funky_monkey58;1344999 said:
But now that my engine is toast the new goal is back running this summer and to max out my turbo.

So whatever a gt4088 will push out under full boost we will find out.:3d_frown:

And
20070612162550_realisticExplosion1.jpg
goes the next engine without a tune

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
funky_monkey58;1345504 said:
:cry:The next one will be dyno break in and tune.

That is a good thing to read. You going to have one built or plan on buying one already built?
Give me enough $$$$ you can have mine plus a shell ;)

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
92nsx;1345529 said:
That is a good thing to read. You going to have one built or plan on buying one already built?
Give me enough $$$$ you can have mine plus a shell ;)
I am having one built all I need the block my head is already good to go.

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
Carnage pictures this is what I found in rod #3
SupraBearings10.jpg

SupraBearings11.jpg

SupraBearings12.jpg

SupraBearings13.jpg

If I would have had fair warning the guy I got the block from was incompetent in putting together an engine I would have had the crank cut and smoothed out.
When I first popped the rod cap off it looked like there was no bearing at all and that thin pieces were what I managed to scrape off with a screwdriver.

SURUKO

making the supra better..
Jan 8, 2007
The tropical island....
man its really bad what hapened to your supra....:cry: but now you can be sure you build the engine your way and know what to expected from it ....:naughty:good luck wish all turn good again man...:icon_bigg

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
LilMissMkIII;1347993 said:
Not cool!!!!!!!
Not cool at all.
IJ.;1348004 said:
Sean: There are people building these engines that just shouldn't....
I have heard this is not an uncommon event.
SURUKO;1348031 said:
man its really bad what hapened to your supra....:cry: but now you can be sure you build the engine your way and know what to expected from it ....:naughty:good luck wish all turn good again man...:icon_bigg
Thanks man I appreciate the kind words.

TO be honest I am surprised it lasted the 30 miles it did. I am sure it would have been less if I hadn't put in a new oil pump with a shim and the -8an feed line conversion.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Way too common Sean people just don't seem able to accept their limitations and think they can do anything..... I blame reality TV car build shows :nono:

stole this from the pics thread as it fits my thoughts on "engine builders"

p1348063_1.jpg

Toy-Rific

Jun 8, 2005
Minnesota
Sean, Tell me about it! I have the 3000 down again. Just too much oil going up in smoke. Had to fix the exhaust leak on the back turbo and stop the back turbo from burning any more of the fire wall,so is that how that name came about? anyway I pulled the heads to check the seal's hopping that would be the easy way to stop the oil from going into the exhaust, but no so.

Turns out the pistons, all 6 of them were under size by .006in. Also turns out it was my problem for not having the engine builder catch that mistake. The manufacture claimed that some times small mistakes do get past there quality control and they were will to replace my set with a new set of pistons for my motor. I said I already have new ones from a different manufacture. I asked for my money back and there policy is a replacement and not refunds.

I am finding out that at my age the learning curve is more of a down hill slide than a curve. Should I change over to a Toyota where every thing looks easier??

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
Toy-Rific;1351052 said:
Sean, Tell me about it! I have the 3000 down again. Just too much oil going up in smoke. Had to fix the exhaust leak on the back turbo and stop the back turbo from burning any more of the fire wall,so is that how that name came about? anyway I pulled the heads to check the seal's hopping that would be the easy way to stop the oil from going into the exhaust, but no so.

Turns out the pistons, all 6 of them were under size by .006in. Also turns out it was my problem for not having the engine builder catch that mistake. The manufacture claimed that some times small mistakes do get past there quality control and they were will to replace my set with a new set of pistons for my motor. I said I already have new ones from a different manufacture. I asked for my money back and there policy is a replacement and not refunds.

I am finding out that at my age the learning curve is more of a down hill slide than a curve. Should I change over to a Toyota where every thing looks easier??

It is amazing how easy these supras are to work on once you get a FFIM on it. As well I now have quick disconnects for my wiring harness.

And not surprisingly at all my engine blew some blue smoke also...

The issue you had with your pistons is pretty bizarre. But not completely unheard now I would say.

Zach

ECUMaster USA
Apr 6, 2005
TX
Originally Posted by GotTurbos?
"Quick question, in the title it says built but it doesn't say anything about rods or pistons in your ad. Is it on stock internals?"

funky_monkey88

"New Toyota rods and pistons.

I am a firm believer in the tune makes the car."

How did you tune for rodknock?

Status
Not open for further replies.