funky_monkey58's build thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
funky_monkey58;1432789 said:
I planned on annodizing the block to give me a harder surface for grabbing. I also used a coarse tap to give it some good bite, and will be using industrial strength lock tite.

It is not all set in stone so changes can (and likely will) be make.

I wouldn't unless I could get 2.5>3d thread engagement, I made my adaptors out of steel for this reason as the design I ended up with in 6061 would have been close to the same weight as the steel parts I ended up with.

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
IJ.;1432772 said:
Going to HeliCoil the bolt holes Sean?

IJ.;1432796 said:
I wouldn't unless I could get 2.5>3d thread engagement, I made my adaptors out of steel for this reason as the design I ended up with in 6061 would have been close to the same weight as the steel parts I ended up with.

Have any pics of your brake setup?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Not to mention anodising makes the part larger in every dimension. They make slightly oversized taps so you don't have to retap after anodising which will remove the anodising in the threads.

Also depends entirely on the anodising done.

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
Poodles;1432839 said:
Not to mention anodising makes the part larger in every dimension. They make slightly oversized taps so you don't have to retap after anodising which will remove the anodising in the threads.

Also depends entirely on the anodising done.
I don't think I will have a problem with the threads not being proper size.
Anodizing is a process that dyes the aluminum, it is not really just a coating such as a powder coat finish.
IJ.;1432844 said:
Not anything detailed it's just Mk4TT size 5000 and 4000 DBA Rotors and AP 4 piston callipers, I built it many years ago when there was NOTHING available.

Alright I have time on my side, so I may just make an extra bracket and run a stress analysis on it. (gotta love being in a university for engineering with lots of cool gizmos.)

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
I will run some stress tests next week, I am more worried about the studs strength than anything at this time.

They are .375" in diameter and about 3 inches long made of grade 8 steel, and are what holds the caliper onto the adapter. Then again they should see minimal shearing types of stress once they are torqued down.

I don't want to over think this right now I have a chem test tomorrow that I need to focus on. LOL :p

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
I just cleared the pending flame war out of this thread. Back on topic and keep it civil people.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
I took Sean's car for a spin last night.

DSC00152.JPG

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
emiliorescigno;1433147 said:
I took Sean's car for a spin last night.

[thumb]http://freewarechronicles.com/emiliorescigno/Sean%27s%20New%20Engine/DSC00152.JPG[/thumb]
im jealous, with all them goodies it has musta been fun:biglaugh:

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
IJ.;1432772 said:
Going to HeliCoil the bolt holes Sean?

You will be happy to know I am definitely putting coils in the holes.

fixitman04;1433266 said:
im jealous, with all them goodies it has musta been fun:biglaugh:
When there isn't a long haired hippie powering it.......

My piston rings and two arp bolts from Eagle should be here today when I get done with school, tonight I may just have to finish the assembly of the block.

I am an idiot and forgot to bring my oil pump shaft bearings in to school so I may not get the engine 100% together because I need to machine out a tool to install them.

If anyone has precise measurments of the bearings and will share that info so I can machine the tool today still I would be very greatly appreciative, otherwise it will have to wait until monday.

-Sean

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
92nsx;1433357 said:
^^^warming up the tires for NASCAR style racing i bet :sarcasm:

For sure!
It would've been a better burnout if we had gotten the MBC to up the boost...:evil2: Nascar boost tuning FTW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.