Fuel System: Go big or go home?

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
Hey Guys,

I have almost all of the parts for my single turbo 1JZ project, I just have the fuel system to get before the swap. My goal for the car is to crack 600rwhp.

I am thinking PTE 1000cc, DM dual pump hanger, 2 walbros, and SS lines throughout.

Are there any benifits or problems I might run into with running too big of an injector?
Will the 1000cc's be too much of an overhead for this goal? I want to overkill the fuel system so-to-speak so that I don't have to worry about maxxing out my injectors.

Any tips or advice is appreciated!

Thanks guys

Sam

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
87M-GTE;1670413 said:
Hey Guys,

I have almost all of the parts for my single turbo 1JZ project, I just have the fuel system to get before the swap. My goal for the car is to crack 600rwhp.

I am thinking PTE 1000cc, DM dual pump hanger, 2 walbros, and SS lines throughout.

Are there any benifits or problems I might run into with running too big of an injector?
Will the 1000cc's be too much of an overhead for this goal? I want to overkill the fuel system so-to-speak so that I don't have to worry about maxxing out my injectors.

Any tips or advice is appreciated!

Thanks guys

Sam

are you going to be running e85 or pump gas?

aphxero;1670512 said:
850cc would be plenty. As would a stock return line.

at what hp do you need to change the stock return line?

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
usually somewhere in the 600's. It really about keeping you pressure from being too high. If you have so much pump that it's jumping like 2:1 under boost and stuff then yeah get a bigger line. If regualtor is staying 1:1 and you can get it down where you need it then yeah it's fine.

Short answer? When it starts messing with your tune.

blackkarma

MoN-sTaR
Jan 17, 2007
jacksonville, nc
850cc or 880cc would be more than enough for what u want....remember u still need to be able to control your injectors so i hope u have a standalone

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
aphxero;1670512 said:
850cc would be plenty. As would a stock return line.

I was thinking -8 feed, -6 return. SS all the way.

86_sports_1jz;1670658 said:
are you going to be running e85 or pump gas?

at what hp do you need to change the stock return line?

Pump/Race gas for the time being.

blackkarma;1670734 said:
850cc or 880cc would be more than enough for what u want....remember u still need to be able to control your injectors so i hope u have a standalone

Is there going to be any advantage going with 1000s over ~880s or something smaller?

I have a Haltech PS2K

Thanks,
Sam

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
the smaller the injector the more control you're gonna have at low load. prioritize the floor not the ceiling. it sounds like you had your mind made up already. just sayin.

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
aphxero;1671237 said:
the smaller the injector the more control you're gonna have at low load. prioritize the floor not the ceiling. it sounds like you had your mind made up already. just sayin.

Thanks for the tip, I am not 100% set on any size injector at the moment.
I want to see what other people with similar setups are running (standalone, single, etc..)

Thanks again guys!
Sam

Jostar

AEM powered 1JZGTE!!!
May 21, 2007
Chicago
Sam... im gonna run 1000cc, I seen Sp tune a few cars wit bigger injectors & idle like stock....

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I'm running 890s and my idle is fine. Modern injectors can run a LOT better at minimal duty than the ones from the 80s.

I don't see a whole lot of reason to go bigger, either - unless you're thinking of switching fuels, anyway, running something like straight meth tends to muck with your required size.

Also keep in mind there comes a point where the injectors won't fit in a stock rail... it would suck to order some, then have to order the fuel rail when you find they don't fit!

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Sequential injection and a good tuner always helps with smooth idle.

800CC is good. There is a guy on SupraForums running 1200CC for 500HP, it is overkill but good overhead room and smooth idle as well. It is up to you.

You should be running a top feel fuel rail expecting to get to those numbers though.

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
GrimJack;1671710 said:
I'm running 890s and my idle is fine. Modern injectors can run a LOT better at minimal duty than the ones from the 80s.

I don't see a whole lot of reason to go bigger, either - unless you're thinking of switching fuels, anyway, running something like straight meth tends to muck with your required size.

Also keep in mind there comes a point where the injectors won't fit in a stock rail... it would suck to order some, then have to order the fuel rail when you find they don't fit!

By switching fuels you mean E85? I am planning on pump/race gas.

IBoughtASupra;1671719 said:
Sequential injection and a good tuner always helps with smooth idle.

800CC is good. There is a guy on SupraForums running 1200CC for 500HP, it is overkill but good overhead room and smooth idle as well. It is up to you.

You should be running a top feel fuel rail expecting to get to those numbers though.

I do have an HKS top feed rail.

I appreciate the help guys!!!

Sam

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
87M-GTE;1671827 said:
By switching fuels you mean E85? I am planning on pump/race gas.
Yes, that or pure methanol or ethanol. I'm not as familiar with E85, it's not available here, but meth/eth needs a larger fuel system. Not that I would run them, either, except as an additional injector to increase octane and reduce intake temps.

JPsToyota

Sep 17, 2008
East-Central, FL
E85 also needs a chunk of additional fuel over gasoline also ^

E85 has a good bit less energy (around 1/3 less) than premium gasoline but an octane rating of around 100 so it burns a little better.

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
87M-GTE;1671127 said:
Pump/Race gas for the time being.

JPsToyota;1672295 said:
E85 also needs a chunk of additional fuel over gasoline also ^

E85 has a good bit less energy (around 1/3 less) than premium gasoline but an octane rating of around 100 so it burns a little better.

^^This is why I'm going with -10 AN for my feed line. I do hope to run 600+ whp on E85 in the future, so I'm leaving myself plenty of headroom. -8 may work, but -10 is only another $30 if you think you might benefit from it at some point in the future.

AlterEgo

Mar 8, 2012
Sugar Land
Do yourself a favor and get Injector Dynamics 1000cc high impedence injectors. Very easy to tune, will support the power you are looking for and there's plenty headroom if/when you do upgrade for more power. Also very e85 friendly if you choose to burn the corn. E85>race gas imho.

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
GrimJack;1671709 said:

I know he stated that he is planning to run a HKS Top feed, but just for my own knowledge are there reasonable injectors out there that are a direct swap and are larger than the USDM 550s?