Fuel Cut at 9psi with DDP

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
So I just installed my BIC DDP and Test Pipe, and took it out for a spin.
It's great, spools fast, pulls hard, but I hit max boost around 9psi, 10 in some higher gears. I thought I remembered it raising people up to 12psi hitting fuel cut. Well I wasn't going too hard on it, just the occasional open of the wastegate then I'd shift (riding around town, didn't want to cause a scene)

So I found an empty road and took it WOT to about 4,500rpm in 3rd, kept a steady 9psi, no boost creep, and it hit fuel cut briefly.. I don't have any boost leaks unless its a very small one that I can't find, and I've got a full 3" exhaust.

And input? this happened to anyone else with the DDP at such low boost?

...Also when I was leaving the gas station a kid stops looking at me and goes "That is the coolest car I've seen in my life"
I don't agree with him but it was nice to hear, then I let the wastegate open alittle leaving the parking lot and I heard a "What the FUCK!?" lol.

kwnate

Lurker
Jul 10, 2005
None of your fucking business
Same thing was happening to me, I never discovered a boost leak until I removed the stock intercooler. It had a dent and small hole that was siliconed over... I'd inspect all the piping top to bottom, taking pieces off to inspect. Hope you figure it out, fuel cut is so annoying...

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Yea it is. I've got 2.5" hardpipes and a Spearco rep. IC.
I'll go over all the pipes tomorrow and try again. Glad to know I'm not the only one it's happened to. really think its a small Boost leak?

BTW Nate(derailing my own thread) I read through all your recent Build thread stuff at work and trying to get your video's to work and I just can't get my computer at work or mine to play them:icon_mad: . Congrats on everything though, I love the pic of the Highest powered non CT award and the broken strap haha.

Last edited:

koulee

Oct 11, 2005
on stock afm, you should hit fuel cut between 11 and 12 psi. I'd check the IC and the bov.

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
enjoy fuel cut, you will hit it with those mods
get a fcd, dyno make sure fuel is all good, then don't tutu with boost and you should be good

or you can.... lexus 550's bla bla bla :p

i been there and done it
max boost = 9.6psi
fcd required as i hit fc at 8psi wot haha

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Before the DDP I had MBC set to 10 with the occasional 11psi on the highway, (hit fuel cut before at 12+psi) I took the MBC out when I installed the DDP because most people have said they hit around 12 psi with the same exhaust mods. The thing is it hit 9psi around 2,800... sustained 9psi until it got to about 4,500 then hit FC, but never spiked. It held 9psi fine for around 4 seconds until randomly hitting FC-boost never exceeded what it had been previously hitting.

I don't want to go the FCD route without a way of monitoring AFR's, and I plan on getting a wideband when I go Maftpro anyway. I just want a steady 9-10psi for the time being, I'm not wanting to boost the hell out of a stock turbo. But fuel cut should not be kicking in so early.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
MassSupra89 said:
Before the DDP I had MBC set to 10 with the occasional 11psi on the highway, (hit fuel cut before at 12+psi) I took the MBC out when I installed the DDP because most people have said they hit around 12 psi with the same exhaust mods. The thing is it hit 9psi around 2,800... sustained 9psi until it got to about 4,500 then hit FC, but never spiked. It held 9psi fine for around 4 seconds until randomly hitting FC-boost never exceeded what it had been previously hitting.

I don't want to go the FCD route without a way of monitoring AFR's, and I plan on getting a wideband when I go Maftpro anyway. I just want a steady 9-10psi for the time being, I'm not wanting to boost the hell out of a stock turbo. But fuel cut should not be kicking in so early.

The Cressida 7m-gte we built was hitting 11psi with the BIC ddp, maft with 550cc, 57trim ct26, 3" exhaust, and no boost controler!

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Hmm I figured I'd be around 11 with just the DDP, I could have sworn reading things like "raised boost to 12psi, and gained 29whp over standard 3"DP.

But I guess all engine's do act differently... maybe mine just doesn't want me to go over 9psi for more than 5 seconds.

tonysupra

Supramania Contributor
Dec 3, 2005
CT
Hey Mass. To play the videos, press on the link and click on the SAVE button instead of the OPEN button. Then click OPEN FOLDER instead of OPEN. After, RIGHT click the folder and select OPEN WITH. Use Windows Media player because it wouldn't work for me on Realplayer. I'm assuming you do have Windows Media Player. Hope it helps.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Jayhall said:
throwing any codes?? mine did this at suprafest and it turned out to be the AFM
Just code 34, Turbo boost signal, which would be fuel cut. I replaced my AFM electronics about 2 months ago.
I drove the car to work and gave it a hard 4th gear pull, hit about 8.5psi and brought it to 4,500rpm, no fuel cut. I'll have to try it in 3rd and maybe a 5th gear highway pull to see what results I get.

tonysupra said:
Hey Mass. To play the videos, press on the link and click on the SAVE button instead of the OPEN button. Then click OPEN FOLDER instead of OPEN. After, RIGHT click the folder and select OPEN WITH. Use Windows Media player because it wouldn't work for me on Realplayer. I'm assuming you do have Windows Media Player. Hope it helps.

Yea I tried that, I only play stuff with WMP too, i get some pop-up then it Buffers for awhile and never plays. I'm at work I'm gonna try again when I get home with other players. thanks.

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
I had my mbc set to around 12psi and I only hit fuel cut in second gear (and I wasn't getting anywhere near 12psi in second). But that same day I made a 4th gear pull on the dyno with no fuel cut :) It's a mystery system. Check the coupler to the throttle body.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
billspreston01 said:
I had my mbc set to around 12psi and I only hit fuel cut in second gear (and I wasn't getting anywhere near 12psi in second). But that same day I made a 4th gear pull on the dyno with no fuel cut :) It's a mystery system. Check the coupler to the throttle body.

Ya it's a tricky one. All my couplers are good, I specifically checked that one thoroughly.
I haven't hit FC since that one first time... maybe it was just a fluke type thing... It was unlike the normal FC as well... it was almost like a short one, the CEL came on only for about a second, it was almost like a half assed FC.

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
When I had my ddp running straight to the tanabe probably around 8 or 9 psi it acted like it hit fc but then continued like nothing happened. It might have been the half assed fcd job the guy had left in there. But I have no idea. I was laying on it in 5th at the time and I was pulling on a guy in his new Benz on the highway.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
I've got no fcd, I'm the second owner and car was bone stock when I got it. I'll keep that in mind if it happens again... So did it cut out and slam you forward at all? or just keep accelerating?

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
i'm pushin about 12 psi before cut @130 in 4th... stock everything but drop-in k&n filter, no egr, no pvc, and the exhaust of course... my cut's very violent on the other hand.... feels like hitting a wall at 130... and of course the "POOOOOW" coming from the exhaust