Frozen

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
OK, so first off let me just say that I was SUPPOSED to be at work at 8:00am.

I walked outside about 30 minutes ago ago to crank my car to get some heat going... and immediately slip and fall on the front stairs of my house..lulz..They're covered in ice.

So i slip and slide my way down the walkway to my car, go to open the door and....... .my door locks are frozen.......finally got the passenger side unlocked......but the doors are frozen shut....

I'm not going to try and yank them open because it's just a plastic civic door handle and iv'e broken one off before when the doors weren't even frozen shut..

Anyone have any ideas of how to unfreeze the doors? Looks like im going to be late for work..

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
That's what I ended up doing..The sun started shining on my passenger door so it helped it a little and I was finally able to get it open..Had to force the driver door open from the inside..

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
For future reference, I keep a 1/4" home depot paint stir-stick in my broom closet for a situation just like that. Fits between the door and the body perfect and doesn't damage the paint.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Yea not quite used to the snow and ice this far down therefore was not prepared for iced locks, doors, stairs at all. It was nice to have a little snow at home..it's almost all melted now haha.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Pouring more water on a car that's frozen is a recipe for kicking yourself later. At least if you're in an area where it's going to stay cold...

Thing is, the hot water will unfreeze the door and let you in, sure. But it's just going to freeze again... whenever you park the car next. So if you thaw the bastard out at home and drive to the mall, for instance, now your car is frozen shut at the damn mall instead of at home where you have easy access to the tools to get it open.

People who live in cold climates basically just stay away from water for the winter.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
Yes. That's why I said de-icer. It melts away the ice at the edges of the door, handle, and lock enough to be able to pop the lock. Then there's the fun part of trying to get the door all the way open hahaha