front main seal

89supra884

Apr 8, 2008
chicago
well i bought an engine, and the front main seal is leaking. i looked it up on all data and it does not tell me how to replace it, just gives me prices, i believe all you have to do it remove the harmonic balancer and lower timing cover, but i am not sure. can anyone who has done it give me a hand. thank you

702BOOST

May 5, 2009
Las Vegas
pull the balancer then the timing belt then slide the sproket that the timing belt is on right off. with a small pick you can pull/slide the seal right out. just did it a week or so ago. real easy

RPSil13

Nov 30, 2006
Anaheim, CA
i didnt want to start a new thread, but i have a small leak that's leaking from behing the lower timing cover, and before i start taking it all apart i want to have the replacement parts avail, is the only thing that usually leaks behing the lower timing cover the front main seal??

---------- Post added at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

also anyone have any pics of the front main seal?

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
Do yourself a favor and pull the rad. Those things are a bitch to get both out and in.

If you have trouble getting the new seal in all the way use a PVC pipe (same diameter as new seal) with end cap and drill out the end. Then you can just use the crank bolt/nut to your advantage and screw it on to push in the new seal.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Wow it must be main seal replacement time in the supra community. Mine, with 3K miles on it, is also leaking :cry:

Any one know the toyota part # and a ball park price on it. I dont want to go and order it and have the $$ come to $75, :rofl:

One of my favorite sayings " I do it nice because I do it TWICE " . This time going to make sure there is a TOYOTA oem one installed.

RPSil13

Nov 30, 2006
Anaheim, CA
92nsx;1550133 said:
Wow it must be main seal replacement time in the supra community. Mine, with 3K miles on it, is also leaking :cry:

Any one know the toyota part # and a ball park price on it. I dont want to go and order it and have the $$ come to $75, :rofl:

One of my favorite sayings " I do it nice because I do it TWICE " . This time going to make sure there is a TOYOTA oem one installed.

the front main seal alone is 21 at the dealer, but if youre gonna be in there might as well replace the other seal, and thatll run you 15 per cam seal,

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

anyone who has done this and used an impact gun, what did you use to hold the crank from moving, or does the impact gun get it done w/ out moving the crank???

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
^^^ When I removed mine for my engine builder, I just borrowed a bud's high power impact.

Also I already did the cam seals ;) My fucking builder didn't even install them!! That is why I'm figuring the main seal has also sealed. He can build a awesome engine (so far) but can not keep one from leaking oil :: angry :::: angry :::: angry :::3d_frown::3d_frown::3d_frown:

But since Im in there I guess what the hell, might as well replace the cam seal again too.

Since i need to order some rubber bump stops for the hood I think I will just call up Ken at Royal Moore Toyota and just make a order with everything on my list.

Thank you for the info.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
In addition to the main seal, replace:
Oil pump drive shaft seal
Cam seals (as mentioned)

Might as well while you are there.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
RPSil13;1549515 said:
i didnt want to start a new thread, but i have a small leak that's leaking from behing the lower timing cover, and before i start taking it all apart i want to have the replacement parts avail, is the only thing that usually leaks behing the lower timing cover the front main seal??

The oil pump seal can leak also.

RPSil13;1550138 said:
anyone who has done this and used an impact gun, what did you use to hold the crank from moving, or does the impact gun get it done w/ out moving the crank???

My hand with gloves. The impact doesn't turn the engine like a breaker bar will. Otherwise you use a strap wrench.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
jdub;1550300 said:
In addition to the main seal, replace:
Oil pump drive shaft seal
Cam seals (as mentioned)

Might as well while you are there.

Sounds good to me. Happen to have Toyota part #'s for the above seals?

Thank you for the advice!!!

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
RPSil13;1550138 said:
the front main seal alone is 21 at the dealer, but if youre gonna be in there might as well replace the other seal, and thatll run you 15 per cam seal,

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

Schley 64300. Crank pulley holder for most Toyota/Lexus applications.

Have used it on my 7m and a bud's 2j, works great.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
92nsx;1550133 said:

I used a felpro for half the cost and so far has been very reliable for about 15-20K when my original (when the engine was rebuilt anyway) actually popped out during a boost leak check.