front main seal

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
IwantMKIII;1550623 said:
I used a felpro for half the cost and so far has been very reliable for about 15-20K when my original (when the engine was rebuilt anyway) actually popped out during a boost leak check.

I believe that is what Jim on my engine in the first place. Plus When we Dyno'd Dan 2jz his Felpro popped out at 15 lbs and sprayed oil everywhere. Once it was replaced with a OEM seal no more popping out problems. So with seeing a felpro one fail first hand + now mine leaking mine leaking = Im going to go with what I have seen work with a OEM Toyota one.

RPSil13;1550872 said:
90311-52003 crankshaft front oil seal
90311-35017 camshaft oil seal
90311-42003 oil pump drive shaft oil seal

Awesome !!! thx

RPSil13

Nov 30, 2006
Anaheim, CA
damn! so i tried to do this this weekend but my (electric) impact gun is too big, even w/ the rad out, what can i use to hold the crank pulley in place,
on the repair manual it shows a special tool, so i went to autozone and they dont have anything,

any tips??

Kevin

7mgte -> 7mgte swap done.
Apr 20, 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada
in that case. you are probably going to use a breaker bar.. soo you could try the starter method. that way you dont need any holding tools and such.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Shit, if the engine is still in the car it is EZ. Just leave the car in gear (if manual), set parking brake, and get your self a 4' bar to fit over the wrench. A 1/2" barker bar is what I used before and with a 4' pipe over the handle, it took no effort at all to remove. Just make sure you get a GOOD quality torque wrench when time comes to reinstall the bolt ;)

Last edited:

RPSil13

Nov 30, 2006
Anaheim, CA
SrBigbutt;1552899 said:
I've used the starter trick once....on accident!! Bolt flew right off. Doh!

yeah i was a little afraid at first, but worked like a charm, just cranked it once and heard the bolt crack loose

now my issue is how do i torque it to 195

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
RPSil13;1553623 said:
yeah i was a little afraid at first, but worked like a charm, just cranked it once and heard the bolt crack loose

now my issue is how do i torque it to 195

Well if "park" dose not hold the engine with your automatic, put it in first gear, set parking brake, ....(if your parking brake is weak or don't work have your GF or a buddy hold the breaks down) and torque the bolt down.

Some members say do not reuse the same bolt. How ever I reused the bolt on 2 different engines, including my current 7M, and have had no problems. But Im sure like everything else it is always "better" to use a new one that hasn't been torqued down / threads stretched.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
92nsx;1551036 said:
I believe that is what Jim on my engine in the first place. Plus When we Dyno'd Dan 2jz his Felpro popped out at 15 lbs and sprayed oil everywhere. Once it was replaced with a OEM seal no more popping out problems. So with seeing a felpro one fail first hand + now mine leaking mine leaking = Im going to go with what I have seen work with a OEM Toyota one.

It was probably wasn't installed correctly. Besides, how much pressure does the crankcase go through if you have very little blowby on a healthy motor?
I've had my OEM toyota seals leak on me in the past. No big deal, they just do that as time goes on.

nuggets

Apr 14, 2009
Boston
I just replaced my front seal due to it leaking. I used an OEM seal along with the Permatex dressing that jdub recommended. I used a home made PVC tool (a 2" coupling with a hole drilled in the end for the crank bolt to fit) along with the crank bolt to push the seal in. I didn't crank it down real hard, I just did it until I felt a fair amount of resistance. I obviously didn't install it correctly the first time so I'm a little paranoid about this time. Here's a pic...does this look like it's fully seated?

photo.JPG

Last edited:

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
RPSil13;1550872 said:
90311-52003 crankshaft front oil seal
90311-35017 camshaft oil seal
90311-42003 oil pump drive shaft oil seal

90311-52003 - Front Crank Seal
90311-35017 - Camshaft Seals (Mfg: ARS, Qty: 2)
90311-35040 - Camshaft Seals (Mft: NOK, Qty: 2)
90080-31022 - Oil Pump Drive Shaft Seal

Just some change-up part numbers for you, these will be the newest Canada/USA part numbers to order.

Jeff

MaxBoostedSupra

Sep 23, 2006
Grosse Ile, MI
I am starting to wonder why the front main seal is leaking + what other people are saying as well. I am starting to think something is blocked and it is pressurizing the lower case. I put the new seals in less than 15,000 miles ago and the front main(from the amount of oil) and cam seals are leaking again. I recientley cleaned out the intake and all the ports in it from the blow by resurc. and I did get a lot of junk out of there. I haven't replaced the seals again yet but I wanted to see what everyone else had to say. It just seems odd that i have keep replacing the front main every few thousand miles. And on top off all this my spark plug galleys (3/4 and 5/6) were filled again and were grounding out the plugs. I changed them the same time I did everything else and I started leaking oil with in I think 10,000 miles. Anyone else think the same???

kneedragger85

Sep 9, 2008
Boulder, CO
MaxBoostedSupra;1676161 said:
I am starting to wonder why the front main seal is leaking + what other people are saying as well. I am starting to think something is blocked and it is pressurizing the lower case. I put the new seals in less than 15,000 miles ago and the front main(from the amount of oil) and cam seals are leaking again. I recientley cleaned out the intake and all the ports in it from the blow by resurc. and I did get a lot of junk out of there. I haven't replaced the seals again yet but I wanted to see what everyone else had to say. It just seems odd that i have keep replacing the front main every few thousand miles. And on top off all this my spark plug galleys (3/4 and 5/6) were filled again and were grounding out the plugs. I changed them the same time I did everything else and I started leaking oil with in I think 10,000 miles. Anyone else think the same???
Did you make any changes to or check your factory PCV system? 7M's love to blow oil out everywhere with no crankcase vacuum.