From a 87 n/a into A BEAST buildup

queenskid926

Tires yeling @ every Lite
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
Well to start off my name is Ron, Some of you know me other don’t.

My last build was an 87 hardtop that was N/A and then swapped to 7mgte with basic bolt-ons. I’ve always wanted a targa and that 7m blew a hg so I started parting stuff of the motor and found this white targa 87 on craigslist.

Car is originally from northern California, non turbo 5spd, but everything is factory, not one bolt on, everything is stock, completely stock even the airbox. The car was well maintained, his father was a Toyota parts manager, showed receipts of all the maintenance done, and I wish more supra owners were like him. I’ve never been in a completely stock supra be4 and man this thing rides like a towncar. Alot of body roll but it really absorbs the bumps and a nice smooth ride.

Unfortunately it’s not going to stay stock for long.

I pick up the car 5:00 this afternoon and will post picks then.

Right now I’m trying to sell my hardtop shell, if not then quite a few parts will find its way on the targa like the shock tower brace, and front and rear adjustable sway bars, slotted and drilled rotors and stainless brake lines, and of course my racing hart type c4 rims.

Plans for this build,
1) make sure all of the maintenance is taking care of which I know it has but always good to check anyway so I can guarantee this motor will last me a few more months while I save.

2) turn the interior of this car into more a modern feel, give it a newer car feel to it. Thinking of doing this by a led climate control upgrade and experimenting with led lighting from the dashboard and other areas on the car.

3) keep the exterior simple nothing too crazy, basically an 89+ conversion with a lip, jdm tails, subtle side skirts and rear add on, debating on 3 piece or wingless and rear hatch visor

4) make good power, goals are mid to high 11 second car that i can turn the boost down and drive everyday. Thinking of going single 1j and then swapping a 2j bottom if it blows, will c. But for rite now just s temporary a stock 7mgte will be swapped in with a few boltons to feed my boost crave while im collecting parts for the 1j buildup.

I’m excited as this project as I was when I got my first mkiii. I definitely will have an update at least once every two weeks. I hope to learn alot from this build as I did with my previous. Keep posted for updates.

Last edited:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Good luck with your build. I made 443rwhp @ 17.5psi on my 1jz with a gt35r. Post pics up asap when you get your car.

queenskid926

Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
suprahero;1136716 said:
Good luck with your build. I made 443rwhp @ 17.5psi on my 1jz with a gt35r. Post pics up asap when you get your car.

exspect to get alot of pm's from me. Ive ben following your build. I may even go 1.5jz route as yourself.

But here are the pics of the virgin

sm_photo_missing.jpg

p1136916_1.jpg

p1136916_2.jpg

p1136916_3.jpg

The main reason behind it all. Finally i get a targa. And it doesnt even leak. Oh yes
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Ill post of the 4 body flaws, 2 dents on each front fender, one dent below the driver side door handle and a large dent on the driver rear 1/4 panel

On the drive back, a buddy of mines that was following me in his 1j said it blew a puff of black smoke everytime i got on it, not steady but just the initial stab so I'm assuming its raw fuel and probably just need new plugs, wires and an air filter. A basic tuneup. And change all of the fluids.

The first upgrade will be the cooling system. Water pump bearing is making a noise and I'm upgrading the rad to a 3row unsure of which company yet still doing research, new radiator hoses and install my Autometer water temp guage.

Then a set of lowering springs to get rid of the 4x4 supra stance and a wheel alignment.

Last edited:

queenskid926

Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
some more pics of the body damge and the first mod on the virgin supra

sm_photo_missing.jpg

p1138348_1.jpg

p1138348_2.jpg

the stained paint
p1138348_3.jpg

rubbing compound and wax took care of that.

swaped over my strut tower brace from the hardtop

p1138348_4.jpg

it even has the plastic engine undercover underneath

Last edited:

queenskid926

Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
pgiller;1138522 said:
I have that exact same brace.

lol nice, i dont even know which company makes it. It came with my hardtop when i bought it from my cousin. If i look thru all of the receipts he gave me then i can probably find it but who ever makes it, it does its job. U can really feel the difference when its bolted and not bolted on.

queenskid926

Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
swapped the racing hart rims over to the white car. The red car had a drop of 1.2 so it looked semi good. This car is stock so with the 4x4 height, it just takes awat from the rims. Anybody selling h+r springs or b+g springs shoot me a pm

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Last edited:

queenskid926

Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
It was raining off and on today. I was on supramania forums looking at a few builds and came across hottscennessey white supra. I noticed how just by removing that ugly square non turbo brake light, it changes the look of the rear. I still plan on doing 89+ 3piece wing but for right now, removing that brake light does it for me.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Last edited:

queenskid926

Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
thanks, on the craigslist posting i didnt even knew that it was leather, just knew that it was grey and targa. Once i saw the leather and how nice it was in i was in :love: Eventually it will be black. Ive always wanted a black on black leather targa so that is what this one will eventually be.
modmonster2008;1141431 said:
sweet find dude, nice to have a good condition mk3 with leather interior, i wish mine was a targa :(

queenskid926

Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
as you guys can see in the pictures, the clear coat is stained. Those pictures were taking after i washed the car 3-4 times and still dirty. I took some rubbing compond and wen to work and paint looks flawless now (except for the panels that i didnt do yet.) Found a buddy of mines was parting out a 89 white package targa, and bought the driver side fender and mirrors off of him and ill put them on 2day, I'll finish restoring the rest of the panels.

Side note, yesterda i changed the thermostat with a failsafe 180' one and add redline water wetter, Its wierd when your supra still gas the underbody cover and you have to take that off before you do anything lol. When i jacked the car I was like wtf is this? Man i love this car.

queenskid926

Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
some new pics of the 89+ mirrors added and the new passenger fender, and fog light re wire.

new mirrors
sm_photo_missing.jpg

old mirrors
http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m189/queenskid926/?action=view&current=003-8.jpg

fog light rewire
sm_photo_missing.jpg

new fender on the car, Not finish, just in place for rite now, still have to finish installing a few more bolts, make it match the body lines, a few screws, re-install the lower front mudflap and minore stuff but its on.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

the old one to show the difference.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

now body wise is finish rubbing compounding the rest of the panels that i didnt do to remove the stains in the paint, get a new top bumper panel, repair my driver side fender, and pull out a small dent in my driver door and driver rear quarter panel, and then shell be decent.

Next on the list is to replace the blown speakers all around, install a small sub, get wheels balanced and alignment, and then time for some springs. Thinking of b+g lowering springs

Last edited:

queenskid926

Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
some much needed updates pull some speakers from the parts car to replace the blown ones, look what i found

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

behind the door panel

sm_photo_missing.jpg

and the tweeters installed in each doorpanel

sm_photo_missing.jpg

I swapped over the speakers and the crossover and tweeters are for sale as well as the interior amp.

pics of the 89 mirrors on the car

sm_photo_missing.jpg

swapped the clear coner lense, next project is finish fixing the front end body damge

sm_photo_missing.jpg

also installed my jdm tailights will get a better pic soon my camera started acting up

sm_photo_missing.jpg

l2moro im ordering some b+g springs and swapping my front and rear swaybars from the red shell to the white. and hopefully can source me a clean white 89+ bumper and a clean top bumper piece.

queenskid926

Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
installed a set of eibach pro kit lowering springs, and snapped some more pics,

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Stock 4x4 front
sm_photo_missing.jpg

After springs installed and not setlled in yet
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Another pic of the tails
sm_photo_missing.jpg

On a side note, a few buddies of mind all have had turbo 1j and 2j supras all moved to lexus sc and gs and begun new project. Where all racers at heart and going to be dragging our non turbo cars at the suprameet at englishtown, Its a wager between three ppl in the crew on which car is going to run a better time, my non turbo white 87, my boys 5spd stock lexus sc300, a lexus sc400, and a completly stock 7mgte with a bad driver.

Little do they know that my car will be completly gutted out come sat to save that extra lil bit of weight to get an advantage.

Dr Chill

4 hungry Supras
Nov 27, 2007
Mississippi
are your old 86-88 mirrors in good shape ...if so are you willing to part with them
Pm me , BTW your supra looks just like mine , White supras FTW....

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
queenskid926;1140054 said:
lol nice, i dont even know which company makes it. It came with my hardtop when i bought it from my cousin. If i look thru all of the receipts he gave me then i can probably find it but who ever makes it, it does its job. U can really feel the difference when its bolted and not bolted on.

Ebay makes it. And no you cant. ;)

SURUKO

making the supra better..
Jan 8, 2007
The tropical island....
really good ride you have there have good luck with it planning another mods to it but anyway its sweet as it is now so please take good care of it ....

queenskid926

Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
SURUKO;1178744 said:
really good ride you have there have good luck with it planning another mods to it but anyway its sweet as it is now so please take good care of it ....

Thanks for the support. Im tryna do things as I can being a college student and low funds so slowly but surely things are getting done.