Fresh paint job, over the winter!

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
I am going to re-paint my car this winter, I have the colors picked. I want to do a two-tone, black metallic and red. My car is red, so I don't want to completely change the color as that is a lot of work. Red is also a nice color but I'm looking for a change. My idea is to paint red above the trim and black metallic below trim. I talked to a friend and he kind of changed my mind to do black above trim and red below. Reasons being, black shows a lot more and being on the bottom closest to the wheels it will show alot more dust and dirt (not like it's going to be dirty all the time) but it makes sense. Rims I looking to go with will be either charcoal or black, I think the red on bottom would make the wheels pop! Buffing the black, you will have circles in the clear and they are harder to buff out when its closer to the bottom (bending over) it can be done though. I'm not complaining about that, thats just what he is saying. Bad part is about black on top, it will pretty much be like changing the color. I believe black metallic will be more exspensive also, and there sure is more surface area above the trim. I'm not sure which way to go yet, thats why I'm asking opinions. Any other paint schemes or ideas, feel free to chime in if you want.
Sorry for the long post...

-James

mk3design

The Name is Snakes
Jul 1, 2006
Arizona
Yeah, the 'heavier' color should be on the bottom imo... But I dont think you should do it.. a straight under/over trim 2 tone needs to be suble like a silver/gunmetal, light blue/dark blue etc... I think those 2 opposite colors might look strange(the way your doing it anyways).

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
Yes thats what I think too, darker on bottom. I'm not sure if it would look weird or not, usually red and black go good together.. I haven't seen it on a supra. Splitting at the trim is kind of plain, I would like something different so it stands out a little bit but not to flashy, not too exspensive either as I'm still in school. Within 3 days, someone backed into me, just bent the front license plate, and today I got a good door ding.

kabanimk3supra

kabanimk3supra
Apr 11, 2007
oklahoma
paint it one color please. you will thank me later.

go find some all black mk3's with CLEAN paintjobs and you'll be in love.

Somone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think red will cost you much more than black.

Hopefully some body and paint guys will chime in.

ERA

Jul 31, 2006
any way the wind blows
9ia2h1.jpg

uh

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
Yes I do like all black! I don't want another black vehicle though. I really don't want a solid color either, but I want it to look good. Just a clean, "factory looking" paint job that goes along with the car. What other colors would you guys match with red?

ERA

Jul 31, 2006
any way the wind blows
SupraMario's friend has the two tone you want. But reversed.

why not just paint the top half down until the a pillar and c pillar er whatever end (the canopy). Like 240s.

p1398640_1.jpg

and you could also paint the hood and headlights black instead of the whole top half.

Last edited:

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
*james*;1398637 said:
Yes I do like all black! I don't want another black vehicle though. I really don't want a solid color either, but I want it to look good. Just a clean, "factory looking" paint job that goes along with the car. What other colors would you guys match with red?

i would say some kind of grey or silver might look good idk though.....

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Learn how to use photoshop or ask a friend. That way you can see the different options.

That black and red one above would look nice if it was glossy. It's pretty clean overall.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Here's some variations on my car I did once out of boredom.. (I adjusted color this time to suit you, but threw in some others...)
Original (mine)
colors1.jpg

This is the color I was looking for originally. happy with the grey mind you.
colors2.jpg

This is Red/Black.. but the red is darker than yours probably.

colors3.jpg

Honestly.. the only color I dont think looks bad with black is either gold or yellow...
but thats me.
colors4.jpg

If you look at the body flare spots.. I put a black "highlight" to enhance the flared look. It would take a good painter to do that, and I only know of one guy who would do that.. (if he still paints). But my contact in that world is limited now.. :D

colors5.jpg

This is a Monarch design I did about 30 years back on a 72 Corolla that I modded the crap out of..

colors6.jpg

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
Thanks for the pics guys. The accents look good, I've seen it done before and I really like it. The black/red car Era posted, I didn't like, so I'm scratching that out. The other red/black that splits at the bottom of the pillars looks decent, it does need to be glossy and then it would look way better. Red and silver/charcoal grey wouldn't look bad. I will do some more looking around and mess around with a few other ideas, in the mean time any other pics of 2-tones using red and any other colors that would look good?

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
I came up with an idea, using Era's idea. Hood, headlights, targa, pillars, hatch and wing all met. black or that charcoal grey (like nick stonawaski's), maybe a little darker, forgive me if I spelled it wrong. I like that color a lot, not sure how it would go with red though... Anyways, it would split at the bottom of the pillars, I haven't photo shopped it yet because I'm on my blackberry, and I'm not sure how to do it. I will try to figure it out and post a pic once I'm home. Lmk what you guys think, if you can imagine what it would look like in your head.