fresh motor, no start?

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Englewood, Ohio, United States
ok, heres my situation. I have recently swapped a 7mgte in place of my old ge, I now have everything together and ready to fire up.
My problem: I went to start it this afternoon it cranked really slow and would not fire or hesitate at all so after a few seconds of that i stopped right away. After that I checked my codes and got a 32 and a 51. I do believe I have the code 51 solved due to a wire for my TPS being wrong ( q45 TB and FFIM).
I have not tried to fire it since I have fixed the TPS, but is there an explanation on why it was cranking slow? The battery is brand new, and fully tested so I know that is not my problem. can anybody help me out?

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
x87SUPRA87x;953525 said:
ok, heres my situation. I have recently swapped a 7mgte in place of my old ge, I now have everything together and ready to fire up.
My problem: I went to start it this afternoon it cranked really slow and would not fire or hesitate at all so after a few seconds of that i stopped right away. After that I checked my codes and got a 32 and a 51. I do believe I have the code 51 solved due to a wire for my TPS being wrong ( q45 TB and FFIM).
I have not tried to fire it since I have fixed the TPS, but is there an explanation on why it was cranking slow? The battery is brand new, and fully tested so I know that is not my problem. can anybody help me out?

check all your grounds. An improperly grounded car can do very many strange things. Also, you sure the starter is good?

themadhatter

Jul 5, 2006
Vegas
IwantMKIII;953588 said:
check all your grounds. An improperly grounded car can do very many strange things. Also, you sure the starter is good?

Aint that the truth, I've even mixed up grounds before (every thing was grounded just in tmix match spots)and it just made the car freak out lol

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Did you crack the GTE engine apart before installing it? If so, how did you align the crank with the cams afterwards?

How about the CPS, was that removed? If so, how was it aligned when reinstalled?

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
GrimJack;953618 said:
Did you crack the GTE engine apart before installing it? If so, how did you align the crank with the cams afterwards?

How about the CPS, was that removed? If so, how was it aligned when reinstalled?
I only took off the oil pan and inspected the bearings, oil pump, etc. although I did have the timing belt off, I aligned the crank to 0, cams to 0 and the cps to 1....but now I think I know what your getting at....as in me poss. having the crank 180 degrees out right?

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
ok, i found my problem, somehow my flywheel (auto) is rubbing up against my oil pan.....I have no clue how this happened. I used both washers between the flywheel and torqued them down right.....anybody have any clue on how this happened or how I can fix it?

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
ok, heres a little more info, the flywheel is rubbing against the oil pan and both of the spacers are in place right where they should be. I dont remember the flywheel catching when i put it on when the motor was outside of the car but im not 100% sure.
Is it even possible to put the flywheel to be on backwards? I am really stumped on this one and so far nobody has been able to help me.

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
I'm wondering how you bolted up the converter without noticing this.

Either the flexplate is on backwards, the converter isn't on right or you forgot the thrust washers on the crank.

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
chevyeater;956109 said:
I'm wondering how you bolted up the converter without noticing this.

Either the flexplate is on backwards, the converter isn't on right or you forgot the thrust washers on the crank.
i know 100% that the washers are on there, so it is possible to bolt the flexplate on backwards?

Supra-Kid315

Nov 5, 2007
Cambridge
I don't know that's possible lol never heard of a flywheel rubbing against the oil pan but I guess anything is possible. It might b a pain 2 flip the flywheel with everything on already good luck tho

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Supra-Kid315;956349 said:
I don't know that's possible lol never heard of a flywheel rubbing against the oil pan but I guess anything is possible. It might b a pain 2 flip the flywheel with everything on already good luck tho
yea, i didnt think so but one side of the auto flywheel raises up about 1mm or 2 that just might be enough to clear it...i dont remember what side i faced to the crank so it looks like im just going to have to pull the tranny off to check it out:3d_frown: