For All you FFIM Wantees'

threedguru

Self Proclaimed Mechanic
Jun 26, 2007
Texas
Well Guys Here yah go a cheap inexpensive solution to a FFIM, without relocating the alternator. its kinda messy but since then i have grinded and polished it. Bask In the Glory of MY FFIM!!!!!!!!!

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
not bad at all would def have to relocate the battery... and i'd want a prettier version hehe

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Very interesting concept Threed, while I was researching FFIM's I came across some info stating that the velocity stacks hurt performance in a turbo application.

Sorry don't have the links anymore.

SS5: It's a Short Runner Box Plenum intake built on a stock lower intake that leaves the Alt in the stock location.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
IJ. said:
Very interesting concept Threed, while I was researching FFIM's I came across some info stating that the velocity stacks hurt performance in a turbo application.

Sorry don't have the links anymore.

SS5: It's a Short Runner Box Plenum intake built on a stock lower intake that leaves the Alt in the stock location.

you know i have never really seen velocity stacks in an intake manifold myself, im sure there could be a way around that though if he redesigned the inside~

they would have been sweet with my 1uz though..

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I just radiused the ports into the floor of the plenum in mine.

My understanding was the stacks disturbed airflow and hurt the manifold across the full range when compared to one without.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
yeah, it definatly seems like those stacks will disrupt flow. interesting design though.

-shaeff

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
Actually its the other way around, the stack style Bell-mouth is better for flow. It does seam as if it would disturb flow but it is bennifical. Why all this is, I truely dont know, but I think that it has something to do with the boundry layer and and what not.... All that I do know is that if Ferrari and several other high end manufactures build them into there engines over a radiused floor, then I would think that it would be better then the raduised floor.

I wish that I could figure out how to use the FEA Analysis feature in SolidWorks 2007 to do a flow analysis on each and compair the two.

Here is a ferrari F430 engine for example:

Attachments

• F430_press-engine-angled.jpg
    F430_press-engine-angled.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 107
  • F430_press-intake-plenum.jpg
    F430_press-intake-plenum.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 143

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
I realize that, but porsche does it on there turbo race engines. Also Formula 1 did it back in the day when they were turbocharged.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
cjsupra90 said:
Actually its the other way around, the stack style Bell-mouth is better for flow. It does seam as if it would disturb flow but it is bennifical. Why all this is, I truely dont know, but I think that it has something to do with the boundry layer and and what not.... All that I do know is that if Ferrari and several other high end manufactures build them into there engines over a radiused floor, then I would think that it would be better then the raduised floor.

I wish that I could figure out how to use the FEA Analysis feature in SolidWorks 2007 to do a flow analysis on each and compair the two.

Here is a ferrari F430 engine for example:

from what i can tell off of that it lowers the pressure once inside , and keeps the pressure in the rest of the manifold the same

some flow test results might help :) i still like what he has made

threedguru

Self Proclaimed Mechanic
Jun 26, 2007
Texas
thanks guys for the support, if anyone is interested i could probably make these for ultra cheap. granted i need to do a flow test on it first. ill do that next and post some numbers. LMK what you guys think about purchasing them!

feel free to use my design but if you make a fortune I WANT A CUT!!!!!!!!!

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
pm me or post a price. bolt on or weld onto lower manifold?

anyway to make the throttle body aim more fowards to get a little better angle for the rears?

either way im interested, i need a FFIM but i really don't want to pay 900 bucks for one, what about ISC and CSI? what TB is that?

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
heh i think if these are going to be made and sold they should at least be discussed between threedguru and a mod.